need help brainstorming

Options
rwolfenden
rwolfenden Posts: 16 Member
So I've been trying to rack my brain to figure out where I'm going to fit workouts into my day. I know that working out is not only going to help me lose weight, but it's also a really big stress reliever for me. Here's the thing-I have no idea how I can do this without losing even MORE sleep. I thought that I would see if any of you smart mommas out there had any ideas!
Here is my schedule: Daddy works long hours on a lobster boat, and we only have 1 car, so I usually wake up and feed my son between 3:30-4A, and we leave to bring him to work around 5A. When we come back (around 5:45A), I feed the animals and breast feed/pump again. Then I need to get ready for work and leave to drop off at daycare by 7:30A. I get to work around 8:45A and I'm there until 5:30P. I work a desk job at a call center-I try to move as much as possible during the day, but where I used to use my breaks to take walks in a nearby park, etc, I now have to use them to pump. So I leave work and pick up my son at 6:30P. Sometimes I have to pick up Daddy, sometimes he is already home. When I get home, it's dinner, bathtime/bedtime routine, then I take a shower and pack up everything for the next day, hopefully getting to bed by 9:30P.
I should add that Daddy is not really interested in doing anything other than watching netflix when he gets home, including watching our son. I CAN get him to make something for dinner about twice a month if he's hungry and I'm breastfeeding, but that's about it. I must admit, I feel pretty frustrated with that, and for all intents and purposes, I'm feeling like a single parent :-/
Does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any help!

Replies

• 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    For now you can workout on weekends and have DH watch your son. Then you can figure out a routine to squeeze in workouts between dinner and bedtime. My routine is every night around 8pm we take family walks around the block and then I give baby a bath and feed her. I'm just now going to to start using my eliptical again during the day while baby naps but I'm a SAHM so I have way more free time than you do. Good luck!
  • Emily_fitat30
    Emily_fitat30 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been taking early evening walks, chills both my boys out before bed time & gets some calories burnt for me :)
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    WOW! That's a busy schedule. Do you have any kind of workout equipment at home? I just got a recumbent exercise bike (it was only around $120). My plan is to do my workout while my husband is giving our son a bath (but you said your husband wasn't very good at helping out so that might not work for you). I don't know how old you son is - could you put him in a bouncy seat or exersaucer to play while you work out? My backup plan is to put my son in the exersaucer (for a while longer anyway - he's almost 9 months old) and set it in the room with me while I work out - and I'm not above turning on sesame street or blues clues to keep him entertained. I know TV's not really good for them, but neither is having a mama that can't keep up!
  • sabusby
    sabusby Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have been hearing many, many success stories about interval or 'burst' training, lately. My naturopath HIGHLY recommends it. The advantage is that it's usually around 15 minutes/day.

This is what he says" High-intensity interval training (HIIT), or burst training, involves short (20 - 60 second) bursts at a high intensity where oxygen demand is much higher than your body can supply. Your body must repay that oxygen debt, which means you boost your metabolism and burn more fat in less time.

Numerous studies validate the effectiveness of HIIT exercise. One found that compared to treadmills and hour-long aerobics class, HIIT helps you burn fat more efficiently and quickly.

Another study found moderately active women lost an impressive amount of fat doing just two weeks of HIIT."

Maybe do some research on something like that.

Good luck!