Where is Everyone?

Options
sarajaxon
sarajaxon Posts: 21 Member
Hi guys. I am a food addict. Out there searching for the majic bullet. (haven't found it.) I was wondering where everyone is for this group. There were no posts for several months. Is it still active? If so, why don't we get to know each other?

Does any got to therapy/addiction counselling?
Overeaters Anonymous?
Food Addicts meetings?
Have you been prescribed meds that seem helpful?
Tips?
Need support?

Just curious. I weigh in at 245 right now. 100 lbs overweight. I hate it. I think obese people are not respected in society. I feel like I do not have any public integrity because I wear my weakness for everyone to see. I was depressed and put a halfassed effort to control my eating for the last 6-7 years. What a joke. I wans't fooling anyone. I was always trying this or that. I did food addict meeting and OA meetings, had sponsors, the whole shabam. I just joined this website. It does motivate me and I like the idea. I am hoping to gain a few friends who understand the struggle of obesity and are committed to recovery. I am exercising 5 days per week and it is motivating to enter in my exercise accomplishments. Let me know if you any interest in being friends. Good luck everyone. Sara

Replies

• nomoreFA
    nomoreFA Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi Sara,

I just joined MFP a few days ago. I'm really excited about meeting other people who struggle with food addiction. I have had issues with food for the past almost 40 years. It started when I was 9 and my Aunt told my Dad (in front of everyone) that I was short like my mother and fat like my Dad. She also said my sister was tall and thin, like her and that being tall and thin is beautiful. That's the day I went home and looked in the mirror and said, "i'm fat?" I wasn't fat. I started my first diet that week. By 9th grade I was anorexic. After the doctors confirmed this with my parents and they began watching me to see if I was eating I began my many years of bulimia.

Then at age 25, I got married and gained 30 lbs the first year and 20 the next. Followed by being pregnant the next. I went from a size 6 to a size 18 in 3 years. I stayed overweight for years, trying every diet out there. In 2008 after the doctor told me I was 2 points away from being insulin resistent I took a serious course of action. I joined a food addiction program. For 2 1/2 years I never ate flour, sugar, processed foods or caffeine. I never cheated once. I lost 70 lbs in 9 months. Then I just couldn't do it anymore. I was so sure I was missing out on something everyone else could enjoy. I was also tired of the 3 meetings per week, daily phone calls to my sponsot and being a sponsor to others as well as all the other requirements. I quit 2 years ago. I had a break because I ate one bit of General Tso's chicken. My husband hated me being in the program, my sister called me a freak (she's now a vegan) and I was more confused than ever about why I always need to eat. I was ok at first. I was running 20 miles a week and lifting weights. Then I tore the tendon in my quad muscle and couldn't run for a year. I have now gained back 25lbs. Once again I am full of self-lothing. To makes matters worse, my husband and 2 teenage boys are all thin and eat whatever they want in front of me. My husband actually encourages me to eat junk with him.

I am so annoyed that I can handle everything in my life pretty well, but I've never been able to eat in a healthy lifestyle. I tried counseling, that didn't help. I went to a nutritionist and all she wanted to do is sell me expensive supplements. I feel like such a failure!

Karen
  • sarajaxon
    Options
    Hi Kathy.....

Yes, I will say the FA circuit is gruelling...... I could never stick to it, I hated calling my sponsor, and I do not plan well, so having to tell her what I would eat for the day was miserable (and half the time I lied).

I have three close friends who have lost tons of weight in FA. The meetings three times per week just takes three spots away that I could use for exercise or be with my family. I have a 6 year old ad husband. They are both really supportive. I go to a food addiction councelor right now, but I am not sure it makes a difference. Quite frankly, this website is the most inspiration and motivation I have experienced in many years.

My husband loves to workout. I hate it. I have asthma and never liked being out of breath. Whenever I say I have asthma, everyone thinks it's no big deal, but I end up hospitalized pretty much once a year for asthma. My pulmonary functions tests are 25% less than what they should be and I take all the strongest meds out there. So it is a huge challenge to get out there and exercise, but I do..... (at least recently)

You're not a failure and your picture is very beautiful. Are you able to work anymore since your quad injury?

So here we are..... two ladies who want to overeat and who are struggling to get the weight off..... wanna be friends?
  • nomoreFA
    Options
    Hi sara,

Thank you for your encouraging words. Most people are unfamiliar with FA and what it entails. Most people also don't understand food addiction. It will be nice to have someone to share this problem with.

I love to exercise, but I can't do a whole lot right now. I am returning to the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. I might have to have surgery. Lke my food addiction, I exercise in excess. I do too much too soon. I love to run, box, bike, elliptcal and lift weights. When I exercise I can eat more without gaining a ot of weight. This probably isn't a healthy attitude, but it works for me. I'm hoping that I can get my knee healed up for good so I can get back to exercising. Can you do exercises that don't require heavy breathing? Maybe yoga or pilates. Lifting weights will make you stronger too and it also burns calories.

I sent you a friend request. :)

Karen
  • Carpaydeeum
    Carpaydeeum Posts: 116
    Options
    Do you think you have to get to the core of why one is addicted to food in order to overcome or manage it?
  • sarajaxon
    Options
    I do not think you have to figure that out to start a healthy journey. Food has always been a coping mechanism for me, and a HUGE boredom issue. Lots of times we don't know why we do it, and not all the research out there says there is an actual reason. There is not always an event or problem that is the root cause. Most contempory research out there on food addiction treats it the same was as all other addictions. When someone is addicted to meth, coke, or nyquil, the treatment is the focused on behavioral changes and different coping strategies. A chemical process takes place when you ingest, inhale, shoot up, snort.... Food causes a chemical process and if you eat large amounts on a regular basis, your body begins to expect it...

You may never find a reason why you're an addict. Some people are even genetically predispositioned (my family if a genetic cesspool of addiction going back 4 and 5 generations.)

No matter why we eat, we can change our behavior and live in a healthy body. I am making small changes and I am seeing results. Entering ALL my food on here helps. Write anytime and be positive. Take care!
  • seekingthegoodlife
    Options
    I am new here. After gaining/losing/gaining more since my childhood, I had just about given up hope. I am now at my all time high weight after being home since my child was born. I have put on 100 pounds in the five years I've been a stay at home mom..100 pounds to an already obese body. I had tried dieting and could only stay on it for so long with the deprivation of foods. I finally realized that I truly have a food addiction. I love the taste of good food. It doesn't help that I love to cook and am a good cook. I can think of something that tastes so good and will stop at nothing to get it. I am not a secret chocolate/chip/ice cream eater. I want food. Meat dishes. Pasta dishes. Cheese. Portion control is a major issue. I would eat until I was miserable, then wonder why did I do that. I could easily eat 2 huge hamburgers,half a plate of fries, and 20 oz. sweet tea for one meal. Then moan and groan in stomach pain. I would eat for no reason other than craving that taste. Then lay in bed at night with tears streaming down in my pillow because my knees and feet can not carry my weight any longer and are crumbling. I have stood in the sidelines in shame unable to do things with my child. My family is suffering in silence because of me and my greed and my addiction. But I am ready to get off the train now. I am not going to let food be what kills me. I stopped cigarettes easier than it is to stop food. I am so glad to have found this site and this group. I will have to lean on you all sometimes if that's ok. I will not give up if I stumble. We are going to do this together!
  • nomoreFA
    Options
    Do not be discouraged. I had to hit rock bottom before I decided to do something about my weight. I called it my "gift of desperation." It kept me motivated to lose 70 lbs. I have recently gained back 25 lbs due to a knee injury and not being able to exercise, but I am using this time and situation to really focus on eating healthy.

Make some healthy changes. Ask yourself why you are eating. Are you hungry or bored? If you're bored find something to do. I have been cleaning out closets and doing odd jobs around the house so I keep busy and forget about eating. If you do eat, don't beat yourself up over it. Just start again. You can do this!
  • pinksparklevapor1965
    Options
    Yes I did the other day but wow all kind of iss came up but she says I shoud make my list of my trigger food and work on abstaining on from those I think I better listen to here She also thinks im loney because of my life centered around only children well one day at a time thats all i can do:drinker:
  • tamlynne32
    Options
    I recently started seeing a psychiatrist and talking with her awhile she said "well you know you have food addiction right?" and I was like well DUH LOL Duh to me cause I never realized I did but she said its more obsession.. I will sit and think about food all day long and if I let myself I will eat all day, hungry or not. I've seen a therapist once and see her again next week and will start working on this issue as well as others. At this point I feel kind of hopeless with the whole thing, I see so many people losing all this weight and I just don't believe that could ever be me. Food literally controls my life and I feel so pathetic even saying that. I am a wife, a mother, I'm a girl scout leader, I manage a lot of things within girl scouts, I do so many things but yet this one stupid thing RULES my life!!! What is wrong with me??
  • nomoreFA
    Options
    Hi Tamlynne,

I remember talking to a friend who was struggling with something in her life. (not food related). I told her I would pray for her and that I believed God would take away the problem. She looked at me and said, " how come you believe God will take away everyone elses problems, but you don't believe he will help you with your food addiction?" Good point. I started asking God for help and believing that He would help me. I lost 70lbs. I still think about food all the time and I've gained 25lbs back, but I"m still eating a lot better than I use to. I too wonder why I can manage every aspect of my life in a healthy way, but I just can't cure the addiction to food! We can only try our best. The first step is believing that you can do it.! Best of luck. Add me as a friend if you would like to keep each other motivated.
  • sarajaxon
    Options
    Hi Tammy, I agree with our sweet nomorefa friend Karen. I see a food addict therapist, just since jan of this year and it does help. but not in the way i thought it would. so sick with it. i felt like there was no hope, and i mean exactly that, none. I cried asking my clinician if she thought there really was hope for me, because i honestly, in my heart, had lost hope. But there was hope, you will find youre groove. stay on ths track ont let one off-course day ruin the next day. i absolutley hated exercising, it was literally pain. pain in my hips, in my feet, and i am so asthmatic that i literally asked my doctor if she thought i could use oxygen during my exercise. a few peopel who started out obese said, sara, youve got to work through the pain, it gets better. i would think, 'yeah, whatever.' they were right. just since june 15th of this yeari can feel a huge difference in my workouts. i shave 30 minutes off my lawn mowing time. i got a thrill when i ntered it here. and i started learning about the food i entered, and i am now making better choices. i still go way over my calories several times per week, but hey, for the first timein my life there are also days where i am under. AND the scales turned..... there is hope. and we are hereto take every step with you.
  • nomoreFA
    Options
    I had two weeks of really healthy eating. Then yesterday and today I just binged on anything and everything. I went over my calories on both days! The worst part of it is I can't really exercise to burn off the extra calories. The physical therapist still doesn't want me to run or do any type of exercise except walking and swimming. I don't have a pool big enough to swim laps in so that's out. I'm scared that I'm not going to be able to get on track again. Tomorrow is another day and I will try again.
  • sarajaxon
    Options
    2 days is just a drop in the bucket! when i have aday like that, i let myself enjoy and savor every bite! then i get back on track. dont worry yourself! how long will it be before you can do your preferred exercises?
  • nomoreFA
    Options
    Today I did 25 minutes on the Elliptical. I had it on a low level, but it's progress. The physical therapist is using electrical shock treatments to get cortisone deep into the tissue. it doesn't hurt and it seems to be helping. I use to run 20 miles a week,plus I did weight training 2-3x a week and often an hour of another type of exercise, so just being able to walk is disappointing. I am concentrating on getting the weight off during this transition period. Poisitive thinking that one day I will be able to run again and it will be much easier without the extra weight. I've lost 5 lbs so far. I have about 15 more to go. "Good things come to those who wait."

Have a great weekend!
  • johannahdesplas
    Options
    I am obsessed with food, to the point of addiction for sure. I have been dieting since I was 13. By 17 I was anorexic. After I got prego at 19 I gained all my weight and then some. I thought I was better, however I was just on the opposite side of the spectrum. Now food is my crutch. I use food to deal with everything from bordem, loneliness, nervousness, stress. Sometimes I eat just to eat, and sometimes I binge on food till I'm sick and I feel so guilty I purge it. Sometimes I can stop the purge and sometimes I can not. Its weird though, last week I went on a 3 day fast and I only drank water, I felt amazing, free, and not hungry or worried about food. I even dreaded the fact that I had to go back to rayon because I know once I did I would not be able to stop. I lost and kept off 5lbs in that 3 days, but I still have a long way to go to heal.Any Suport is needed
  • tamlynne32
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses!! I deal with severe depression and the therapist I see believe thats a huge part of all this.. I am OCD so I obsess on things big time and whenever it comes to me really wanting to lose weight it becomes the only thing on my mind and it is the only thing I focus on. She says I need to find something else to get my mind on.. HA does she realize how hard that is??? Even when I am doing something else I know I am doing it to avoid eating so I sit and look at the clock thinking, ok only 1 hour til lunch I'm almost there. Now normally I wouldn't do that but because I know I CAN'T go eat its all I want to do. It literally is making me feel like I am going insane. I can't take it anymore. My husband tells me to focus on the scale going down. Look at the numbers going down to keep me focused and keep me on track. I have been doing really good for about a week now and I am just sick of it already. I don't know why I am so weak and pathetic. I don't know how I will ever stick this out for the long run, Its like I am just going through the motions but nothing is real. Ugh I know I'm not making any sense right now, I just needed to vent.
  • TaishaZ
    TaishaZ Posts: 1
    Options
    I just read what everyone posted and I feel like finally someone else understands me!!! I seriously was beginning to think I was the only one with the problem. I just finished having 4 babies in 5 years and with each baby I gained more and more weight. After the last one was born I found myself 70 pounds overweight. The baby is now almost 7 months old and EVERYDAY for those 7 months I have went to bed saying "tomorrow is the day to get serious, and everyday I've failed most of the time before breakfast. I don't know what is wrong with me. I'll get up in the morning and instead of making an egg white scramble and toast, I'll make pancakes with loads of syrup or I'll come up with a reason to go to the store and get doughnuts. The rest of day pretty much follows suit. Also, its like I can't focus on anything else if junk food is in the house. All I can think about is eating it until its all gone. My husband loves me very much, but doesn't understand. He says I have no will power and I completely agree with him. I am a prisoner to food. I stopped buying anything sweet or snacky at the store because I will eat it all in a day. I've even begun getting rid of sugar because if nothing else I'll make sugar toast and eat half a loaf of bread. I feel so out of control. I don't know why I do it or why I can't control it. Its so frustrating!!!! I see all these other new moms and they are all loosing the baby weight and seem so happy and then I look at myself in the mirror and feel totally worthless. I NEED to pull myself together. Then, I look at my kids and I think I would do ANYTHING for these 4, I know I would give up my own life, but for some reason I can't give up binge eating. I don't want my kids to see this and learn this behavior from me. How could I ever live with myself if I helped my children be obese adults and struggle the same way I do? I have to get control on this now!!! Its just so hard!!!!!!
  • sarajaxon
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses!! I deal with severe depression and the therapist I see believe thats a huge part of all this.. I am OCD so I obsess on things big time and whenever it comes to me really wanting to lose weight it becomes the only thing on my mind and it is the only thing I focus on. She says I need to find something else to get my mind on.. HA does she realize how hard that is??? Even when I am doing something else I know I am doing it to avoid eating so I sit and look at the clock thinking, ok only 1 hour til lunch I'm almost there. Now normally I wouldn't do that but because I know I CAN'T go eat its all I want to do. It literally is making me feel like I am going insane. I can't take it anymore. My husband tells me to focus on the scale going down. Look at the numbers going down to keep me focused and keep me on track. I have been doing really good for about a week now and I am just sick of it already. I don't know why I am so weak and pathetic. I don't know how I will ever stick this out for the long run, Its like I am just going through the motions but nothing is real. Ugh I know I'm not making any sense right now, I just needed to vent.

You ARE NOT weak or pathetic! The disease is, but not you! Look at other areas in your life! Usually people with food addiction are actually quite strong in all other areas. Although it behavioral, keep in mind that your behaviors are driven by a physical reaction to food that causes the addict symptoms. If you have times when you eat more tahn you should, start over, again and again, because each start is more likely to lead towards success. Most of us on here have been "dieting" for ever and that is because we weren't able to fight it on previous attempts. But, you can have attempts that last and that are successful. I would not be able to tell you I lost 19 pounds if I hadn't just started again and again...... love yourself. accept yourself. and move forward slowly. All of us in this group are with you and we have been there. your emotions and expressions above are just as if i wrote them a few months ago. stay with us and you will make it..... :) sara