2 Bad Long Runs in a Row!

Options
natalie412
natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
I averaged around 11:18 per mile for my longer runs (8.5 and 9.5 miles), and then then last two have been bad - 12:18 and 13 (both 10 miles runs). Also my during the week runs are averaging around 5.5 MPH instead of around 6 MPH for the last week or so. Trying to figure out why I am going downhill!! This last week I have been a little under in calories (I am on maintenance), and probably not getting quite enough sleep. Maybe that is all it is. I am thinking I should scale back the running this next week (this week I did 21 miles total), and give my body a rest. It is hard to do, since I always want to push and do more each week, but it is not worth it if I am feeling so crappy on my runs.

I have my first 1/2 marathon on September 29th, so I am way ahead of schedule on my long runs, as far as most training plans go. I run 3 days a week (4 days last week), and do kettlebell workouts 3 days a week. I am mainly just hoping to finish the half and have fun, but I wouldn't mind doing it in under 2:30.

Any advice?

Replies

• yroma
    yroma Posts: 80
    Options
    Suggest you take a one week break from long runs and mix it up with some cross-training instead. You are nicely ahead of your 1/2 marathon training so you can afford to take some time off. Are you doing any other kind of cardio? This was the ticket for me, I started to get burned out on running when I was training for a 1/2 last Fall. When I started doing other kinds of cardio (Zumba or step aerobics and vigorous hiking long distances) my running improved. I've always been a very slow runner and that hasn't changed but I felt re-charged for my runs. Good luck! Seems like you're right on track otherwise...
  • cmh806
    cmh806 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It may be tough, but be patient. Anyone that puts in a lot of miles goes through periods of crappy runs. It makes you crazy if you have a race coming up. Sleep does make a huge difference. I can run bad all week, get one good night of sleep and I am back on track. If you are that far ahead on your long runs you are in perfect shape!
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yup. Been there a few times. Take a couple days off and do other, lighter cross-training type activities, get some more sleep, and don't be too hard on yourself.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi

If your body is calling for rest listen to it. September is for me one of the hottest months to have a first 13.1. But kudos for you on your first 1/2. I am doing my first in December. You may want to read www.jeffgalloway.com he talks about how for every degree over 60 he adds 30sec on to the mile.

Health is your first wealth.

Patsy
  • natalie412
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I am going to go easier this week, and try to get more sleep. Should be a little easier with the Olympics being over! Getting 4-5 hours of sleep before a run (especially a long one) is not cutting it - even if I end up napping later.

As far as the temp goes, I passed on a half at the beginning of Sept because of that - I am hoping for cooler weather at the end of Sept!
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You've been running on that little sleep! I think that's it. I'm nervous before races and don't sleep and all my races have been crappy runs as a result. I agree with the others, take a break and get some good sleep before your next run. Good luck! I have my first half a month after you. I'm right there with you on the training.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Running slower doesn't mean you are regressing. As the other have said, you are tired. Physically because of the increasing mileage and the lack of sleep hurts too. It's no big deal. Get some rest. I would suggest taking off some of your cross-training and just do your runs for a couple weeks. This will give you more time to recover.

Also, don't be so concerned about the pace of your runs in training. You are building your aerobic base right now and that is happening at 10:00 pace or 12:00 pace. You're doing fine. You are moving forward.
  • natalie412
    Options
    Running slower doesn't mean you are regressing. As the other have said, you are tired. Physically because of the increasing mileage and the lack of sleep hurts too. It's no big deal. Get some rest. I would suggest taking off some of your cross-training and just do your runs for a couple weeks. This will give you more time to recover.

Also, don't be so concerned about the pace of your runs in training. You are building your aerobic base right now and that is happening at 10:00 pace or 12:00 pace. You're doing fine. You are moving forward.

When I am running that slow - and if my time is 12 or more - that means there is a good bit of walking in there - I don't feel like I am building my aerobic base. It's not like I am breathing hard or my heart rate is high - its just that my legs were really tired and aching. On my last 10 miles, my heart rate only averaged 134 (the one before that was a little faster, and I averaged 141). When I am really pushing (over 6 mph), I usually average in the mid to upper 150s.

I am sure that I am still building endurance though - certainly muscular and joint endurance!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    When I don't sleep well my workouts SUCK. Also it makes a difference if I'm hungry or thirsty. Keeping water with me makes the biggest difference, do you keep water with you or hydrate well before and after? I invested in a dorky water belt and it helped tremendously.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

When I am running that slow - and if my time is 12 or more - that means there is a good bit of walking in there - I don't feel like I am building my aerobic base. It's not like I am breathing hard or my heart rate is high - its just that my legs were really tired and aching. On my last 10 miles, my heart rate only averaged 134 (the one before that was a little faster, and I averaged 141). When I am really pushing (over 6 mph), I usually average in the mid to upper 150s.

I am sure that I am still building endurance though - certainly muscular and joint endurance!

You are building aerobic base at that HR too. Don't sweat it. Maybe slow down the entire run a bit so you don't have to walk.
  • natalie412
    Options

You are building aerobic base at that HR too. Don't sweat it. Maybe slow down the entire run a bit so you don't have to walk.

Thanks Carson. I think with more sleep, I will be fine and back to my normal pace. Should have some cooler mornings this week, too, so that will help!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be so concerned about the pace. As mentioned earlier, the point of your long runs is to build that aerobic base. If you were going 11:18 before, that is even faster than your anticipated race pace of 11:27. You don't need to be running race pace all the time, otherwise you're racing everyday and not really training. If you recently started adding mileage, it won't hurt you to slow down. Save the faster runs for your speed workout and shorter runs. Running long runs so fast could also wear you down and leave you open to injury if you're also adding more mileage to your training... stick to doing one or the other.

Your sleep and the heat definitely play a big part too. You can afford to take it easier in the heat. As far as the training pace goes, slow it down so you don't have to walk. You already know you can run the pace, just focus on getting the distance down. Most training programs and coaches advocate slowing down the training pace for long runs. I've trained at a pace that was much slower than race pace... last year I trained at your current pace (11:00 - 11:18) on my long runs and my half and full times were 2:08 (9:50 pace) and 4:38 (10:38).

Good luck and hope your long runs feel better as you find what works for you!
  • natalie412
    Options
    Hmm, I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be so concerned about the pace. As mentioned earlier, the point of your long runs is to build that aerobic base. If you were going 11:18 before, that is even faster than your anticipated race pace of 11:27. You don't need to be running race pace all the time, otherwise you're racing everyday and not really training. If you recently started adding mileage, it won't hurt you to slow down. Save the faster runs for your speed workout and shorter runs. Running long runs so fast could also wear you down and leave you open to injury if you're also adding more mileage to your training... stick to doing one or the other.

Your sleep and the heat definitely play a big part too. You can afford to take it easier in the heat. As far as the training pace goes, slow it down so you don't have to walk. You already know you can run the pace, just focus on getting the distance down. Most training programs and coaches advocate slowing down the training pace for long runs. I've trained at a pace that was much slower than race pace... last year I trained at your current pace (11:00 - 11:18) on my long runs and my half and full times were 2:08 (9:50 pace) and 4:38 (10:38).

Good luck and hope your long runs feel better as you find what works for you!

Well, I am actually hoping to get under 2:15, but I do realize it is my first half, so time shouldn't be my primary concern. I usually really enjoy my long runs and usually 11:18 is a VERY easy pace, so I was just concerned that the last few were so unenjoyable and difficult and so much slower. Usually I do run the whole way, except sometimes up some of the hills. I have already gotten more sleep the last couple nights, so looking forward to a good 5 mile run tomorrow.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    OK, your original post said you were hoping for a 2:30 half, which would be an 11:27 race pace. There is a huge difference between that and 2:15. If your aim is going for 2:15 or below, 11:18 is a good training pace.

For a first half, I wouldn't be so concerned about time goals, just finishing, but I understand it would be good to get a general idea of how you want to pace yourself... again, good luck.
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    One of the things I have struggle with is pace.....I just never felt like I was training if my pace is over 9:30. Well now I am working with a trainer and he is showing me how wrong I was. My long runs are now somewhere between 10:00 and 10:30 and much more enjoyable. We have specific days where we work on pace, power, and speed, this leaves the long runs as nice long EZ runs......conversation pace. All of this is working toward building a base and leading me toward my goal of a sub 4 hr marathon in October. My current PR is 4:13 in the full and 1:54 in the half. My best recommendation.......seperate your runs. Use long runs to build endurance, short runs to work on speed, hill repeats to work on power, and tempo runs every now and then to work on your race day pace. Hope this helps!!!!

Dave