Justice League (with Maaat Daaamon)

Options
lacroyx
lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/ben-affleck-approached-direct-justice-league-234840949.html

I dunno...I feel like they just gave up since Whedon agreed to do Avengers 2. So DC's like "ahh eff it let's get that Affleck guy" lol. but maybe he'll prove us all wrong.

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I think the smell of money has made them delerious. Maybe Affleck could pull it off, but it seems very doubtful to me. And Avengers had something of an advantage with building on prior movies.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I think its a terrible idea, the only reason avengers worked, in my opinion, was all the prior movies. Its way super difficult to engage with a huge cast of main characters in an action movie, so either they will be bland stock characters or the movie will have to spend way too much time doing character exposition. (I realize not everyone who saw the avengers saw ALL the other movies, but most people - average movie going non nerd people - saw a few of them, at the very least they saw iron man 1 and 2 which introduced 2 out of 6 characters)

Heck, good superhero movies are hard to make ANYWAY.
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This. ^^ I've been following the movies since 2008 and was extremely excited for The Avengers. Not particularly excited about a Justice League movie. Green Lantern was ok. Superman's ok. Not much of a Batman fan, gotta admit... Would be fun to see the new Spider-Man mixed into The Avengers, if they could work out the legal issues.
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    So, have the DC execs actually SEEN any Ben Affleck movies?! Avengers not only had the previous movie foundation, but Joss Freakin' Whedon!

Ben Affleck?! &^%&^

*sigh If only I ran Hollywood...
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Affleck did a great job with "The Town" so I don't think he'd make a mess of this. On the other hand, where's the build up? I agree with Tameko2. If they're going to do this, they need to do at least 4 movies where we can meet these characters and see what they can do their own in a universe where the others exist. The Batman and Superman movies we've seen so far don't count.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I think this movie will suffer from the fact everyone in the movie is so serious other than green lantern, such boring characters for a super hero mash up. Avengers was amazing because all the characters are smart *kitten* and the movie didn't take itself too seriously.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I think this movie will suffer from the fact everyone in the movie is so serious other than green lantern, such boring characters for a super hero mash up. Avengers was amazing because all the characters are smart *kitten* and the movie didn't take itself too seriously.

Spot on!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Spot on!

Anybody recall Keith Geffen's take, with Justice League International? Plenty of amusing bickering amongst the team when he had the series. Now that would be something for a movie.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    According to Affleck's rep, Ben has already turned the offer down.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Has-Ben-Affleck-Already-Turned-Down-Justice-League-32386.html

damn and I was looking forward to seeing Matt Damon playing Flash with a thick Boston accent. >.>
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Disagree. There's always been a comedic element to the interaction between Batman and Superman. The boyscout and the rogue works very well and would be amusing, if done right. Wonder Woman could be interesting if they go the God-Out-of-Place route that they used (sparingly, but to good effect) on Thor. Both Green Lantern and Flash (if they use the right incarnations) are smart-alecky. That should be more than enough for a team of 5.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Horrible Horrible idea.

Now, when the hell is it out so I can go see it already?
  • poshcouture
    Options
    I think its a terrible idea, the only reason avengers worked, in my opinion, was all the prior movies. Its way super difficult to engage with a huge cast of main characters in an action movie, so either they will be bland stock characters or the movie will have to spend way too much time doing character exposition. (I realize not everyone who saw the avengers saw ALL the other movies, but most people - average movie going non nerd people - saw a few of them, at the very least they saw iron man 1 and 2 which introduced 2 out of 6 characters)

Heck, good superhero movies are hard to make ANYWAY.

^^ This. Not everyone has followed the Justice League comics or the cartoons from the 80s. Lead-in movies will give a new audience more background story for each superhero, rather than saturating a 120 min. script w/ too much information or worse - not enough.