NA Beer?

Options
I know I will get answers from both sides, but what is everyone's opinion on having 1-2 Na Beers a WEEK (not every day)? I sure miss my beer and used to have 1-2 after work every day. It is soooo hard doing yard work and not rewarding myself with an ice cold brewsky. I know they still have some alochol in them, but I heard it is about the same as mouthwash or some citrus drinks. I am definately going to ask my doctor before I have any more (I had some before I realized there was some alcohol in them), but wanted others opinions too. I refuse to live in a bubble, but I want a healthy baby (I am 9 weeks). Thanks!

Replies

• bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it's okay to have a drink once in awhile, but for me I have just given it up completely until after baby is here. I have a couple friends that would have a glass of wine every now and then and their kids are fine. I agree check with your doctor first and then make your decision... Congrats!
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you can hold out until the end of the first trimester at least, I would recommend that. Most of the literature I've read says that the greatest risk to the baby is during the early parts of pregnancy while the basic structure and major organs are being developed. I'm not a big drinker anyway so I didn't miss alcohol at all while I was pregnant, but to each their own. I've also read plenty of studies that said a glass of wine a week is fine toward the end of pregnancy. Of course, this all depends on what your doctor recommends and what you're comfortable with. Do a little research yourself and see if that sways your opinion.
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    it's summer.....have one.
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I never did, but only because I couldn't find one that didn't taste terrible. A beer here and there, or a glass of wine, is fine (imo).
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Non-alcoholic beer, or any non-alcoholic bevvie seems like such a waste to me.

If I can't get my buzz on, why drink it?

I'm in the pregnancy = no drinking camp.

Just my opinion though.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I was never a big drinker, but now that I've given booze up for pregnancy, I miss it so much! I mean, my baby is due in December, and I even joked with my hubby about sneaking me in some egg-nog post-labor. That said, I have decided I am really not gonna drink during this pregnancy. It is probably completely fine to have a glass of wine, etc, every once in a while, but just the thought that maybe it isn't would stress me out too much to enjoy it. And, as Pepper said, if you can't get a buzz on, why bother?

Still...and back to the original question...I thought NA beer was made for pregnant ladies. I have a friend who is a recovering alcoholic (very serious about it) who drinks NA beer and is fine (no relapses into binge drinking, etc.). I feel like 1 NA beer every once in a while couldn't hurt.
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's non-alcoholic beer.........

If you're a beer drinker then you probably actually like the taste of beer. I'm a beer drinker and it's summer out so if it's hot out and the situation calls for it I'll have one or two. You'll probably find one or two is enough anyways and you'll feel full from it because they tend to be more bubbly. The NA beers are not the best tasting that's for sure but I'll mix up some lime slush in the magic bullet and add a dollop or two of that to it and it's a pretty refreshing summer drink. If you want one have one! It's not going to hurt and you won't feel left out. Put your feet up while you're at it too.....cheers!
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    It's non-alcoholic beer.........

If you're a beer drinker then you probably actually like the taste of beer. I'm a beer drinker and it's summer out so if it's hot out and the situation calls for it I'll have one or two. You'll probably find one or two is enough anyways and you'll feel full from it because they tend to be more bubbly. The NA beers are not the best tasting that's for sure but I'll mix up some lime slush in the magic bullet and add a dollop or two of that to it and it's a pretty refreshing summer drink. If you want one have one! It's not going to hurt and you won't feel left out. Put your feet up while you're at it too.....cheers!

I have NA beers whenever I feel like having a beer. It's summer and I miss my Summer Shandy dearly, but O'douls Amber has done the trick. I can only have 2 in one sitting because they fill me up. I had a new brand last night, Kaliber by Guiness, and it wasn't too bad. I was out to dinner with the girls and it was nice to join in on the beer drinking!

I don't see anything wrong with it. I haven't had any wine yet, but if I wanted it, I would have A glass.

I'm with mdpederson- Cheers!
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't care much for NA beer but if I am craving an icey cold beer during these hot summer months I will just have a the first few swigs out of my husbands. Usually less than half and my craving is satisfied.
  • iluvhorses1983
    iluvhorses1983 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just an update. I had my first Ultrasound done on Friday (9 weeks, 1 inch, 162bpm!!) and asked my doctor about the NA beer. He said it was perfectly fine and that I could even have a real beer or glass of wine 1-2xs a week. Wow, I will definately stick with the NA beer occasionally (don't like drinking my cals) for my first trimester at least. At least I can have some wine for the holidays! Woot woot. =)
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I drank them throughout my pregnancy and my baby has two heads! Just kidding...she is perfectly fine ;) I actually really like a couple of the NAs and still drink them even though I can have real beer. Clausthaler and Beck's NA are my fave. I didn't drink any real alcohol for the entirety of my pregnancy, though.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I had a glass of wine twice during my last pregnancy, and this time I think I'm gonna go with 3 times...my husband says if we keep having kids, I might be able to have it every week during my 6th and 7th pregnancies (but there's NO way of that happenin');)

My Doctor is super-laid back about it...he was even telling me about a winery I should visit and offered to write a "doctor's note" if they ask questions. Everything in moderation, in my humble opinion.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am a big wine drinker, so for me its been pregnancy = no drinking... I think the idea of stopping at one seems worse than not drinking at all. That being said I have a wedding next week and might try a champagne.
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am a big wine drinker, so for me its been pregnancy = no drinking... I think the idea of stopping at one seems worse than not drinking at all. That being said I have a wedding next week and might try a champagne.
    this. It seems like a waste of time and calories to have a single glass of wine or beer. I'll wait until November