Vibram 5-Fingers??

Options
Hey guys - sorry I've been kind of MIA lately, but things are getting hectic and my weight lifting time has been suffering. ): Boo. BUT that's all going to change come next week.

Anyways, this might be kind of an odd question, but I was wondering if anyone did their weightlifting with Vibram Five-Finger shoes? The reason I ask is because I know Mehdi says he does and also reccommends weight lifting barefoot - however, for those of us who go to a gym, this isn't really possible. Since these simulate barefeet, I'm thinking they'd be compatible - and allowed in a gym. Haha.

Yesterday I bought some of these weird looking shoes because they were on super sale, so I'll report how it all goes once I'm back in the gym.

Replies

• jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I don't wear Vibrams but I do wear Nike Frees. They are almost like wearing nothing (like a water shoe)...I don't even wear socks with them either. I love them and they were only 70 bucks at the Nike outlet...plus they are super cute (black, magenta and turquoise)....I can definitely tell the difference between wearing them and traditional sneakers....my balance is much better. I personally don't care for having things between my toes......other than the sand or flip flops :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I wear vibrams for everything, so yep, lifting too. I don't know what its like to lift in regular shoes though, I hate wearing shoes so I've been in vibrams or bare feet since I started.
  • classictoaster
    Options
    Sorry guys, just now seeing this! Glad to know its normal to see other people using the "barefoot" kinda shoe. I would do it in barefeet, but since I don't have a home gym and my campus gym requires shoes, I figure these would be a good way to get around the rules. ;)

Annnd mine just shipped out today. Yippee! Can't wait for those suckers to get here.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My toes are not conducive to 5-fingers, so I wear Merrell PaceGloves. Completely minimalist but without toes. I love them. I wear minimalist EVERYWHERE, I've even adjusted my work shoes to be minimalist for the most part. I will never go back.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    jealous.
    I totally want a pair.

I use dunlop volleys for my lifting. They are probably similar to converses.
    I've seen heaps of guys lifting in them on crossfit vids so i figure they are probably good. Would rather vibrams though, but they cost a fortune here.
  • heartsherps
    heartsherps Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Converse all stars here. =D
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I use my vibrams (2 pairs) and converse in the gym. Getting away from the whole gym/running shoe thing, not that vibrams are not pricey ; )

Am planning to start running in them again this week. I ignored the advice on the website, ran fine the first two runs a few weeks ago, then caused a bad case of achilles tendonitis the third run. Find running challenging, but I make myself do it for the cardio.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If I had the money for vibrams, I'd totally wear them.
  • MotherGoddess
    MotherGoddess Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wear vibrams for everything, so yep, lifting too. I don't know what its like to lift in regular shoes though, I hate wearing shoes so I've been in vibrams or bare feet since I started.

This is me! I don't even own regular shoes any more (I'm a stay home mom, so I have the luxury of kickin around in what ever I want). I've got my vffs, and a pair of nice flip flops, and I'm set.

I totally lift in my Vibrams, never thought twice about it.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I wear Vibram's. I like them, and they help me with my ankle mobility.