Single parents.

Options
Anyone else stuck in the situation where they are too single to keep married friends and too occupied(with your child(ren)) to keep single friends?

Replies

• SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    YES!!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I can see that. I was supposed to go on a first "date" with a single mom the other day. She literally gave me a 1 hour window she was available with like 1 hour notice. I couldn't make it happen and we haven't spoken again since.

Must be tough for you guys!
  • Ragel27
    Ragel27 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yep,which is why i probably dont really have any real friends nowadays :ohwell:
  • kobashi
    kobashi Posts: 164
    Options
    Yep,which is why i probably dont really have any real friends nowadays :ohwell:

Exactly! It's the truth. Also, two single parents have trouble becoming friends because they have their kids all the time and you don't want to expose your kids to people you haven't known long. It's pretty much a conundrum of friendship.
  • Ragel27
    Options
    Its just soo hard & even more so when you have an autistic child like i do,as i pretty much spend all of my time stuck in the house,as it can be very stressful taking him out-so things that other parents wouldnt even think twice about doing,arent soo simple for me. Friends in the past have invited us out for the day or round their house etc,but ive pretty much always said no,as i guess,i worry too much about how my son will be.
    So,i guess its easier for me to not have any real friends,even though it can be lonely at times & as for new friends-i dont do anything or go anywhere,that would enable me to make friends & even if i did,its just too hard.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Its just soo hard & even more so when you have an autistic child like i do,as i pretty much spend all of my time stuck in the house,as it can be very stressful taking him out-so things that other parents wouldnt even think twice about doing,arent soo simple for me.

I'm very sorry about this. It must be terribly difficult. Puts my petty problems into perspective.

But you are quite attractive. I'm sure something will work out. Sounds like you could use the support. Good luck.

--P
  • Ragel27
    Options
    Its just soo hard & even more so when you have an autistic child like i do,as i pretty much spend all of my time stuck in the house,as it can be very stressful taking him out-so things that other parents wouldnt even think twice about doing,arent soo simple for me.

I'm very sorry about this. It must be terribly difficult. Puts my petty problems into perspective.

But you are quite attractive. I'm sure something will work out. Sounds like you could use the support. Good luck.

--P

Dont be sorry,i love my son & wouldnt change him for the world-if this is how my life has to be,then so be it & as hes getting older,it is getting slightly easier,so one day,things will be different,im sure.
    Support is something that i do need,especially on those days when it all gets too much,but i know how hard it is for others to understand unless they have personal experience with children on the spectrum.

Thank you for your words though.
  • kobashi
    kobashi Posts: 164
    Options

--P

I agree ^^^. I think I will just shut up now.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    A colleague of mine has an autistic son, and it's very difficult. But his is an extreme case. Obviously there is a wide spectrum of autism.

I am sure he is a fantastic son, and I have no doubt you wouldn't change a thing.

--P
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Luckily I have a couple really great single mom friends and our kids get along well. I am also in a working moms group from meetup.com and that can be fun.

Sometimes being a single parent can get really lonely though and that does suck. The longer I am single the more I am starting to feel lonely.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Its just soo hard & even more so when you have an autistic child like i do,as i pretty much spend all of my time stuck in the house,as it can be very stressful taking him out-so things that other parents wouldnt even think twice about doing,arent soo simple for me. Friends in the past have invited us out for the day or round their house etc,but ive pretty much always said no,as i guess,i worry too much about how my son will be.
    So,i guess its easier for me to not have any real friends,even though it can be lonely at times & as for new friends-i dont do anything or go anywhere,that would enable me to make friends & even if i did,its just too hard.

Other parents are often more flexible/forgiving than you might think. "I worry too much about how my son will be" is such a heartbreaking statement; I'm so sorry. My professional background gives me some insight here, and I'm a single parent who also struggles with degrees of isolation (though in a different way). Don't close the door on yourself. Both you and your son have a right to live fulfilling lives in this world. Take him out. Small steps. While it's not necessarily your job to educate others, a lot of people have a decent capacity for tolerance, but they just don't know how to react. I've fought this battle with other families, you aren't alone.
  • Ragel27
    Options

Other parents are often more flexible/forgiving than you might think. "I worry too much about how my son will be" is such a heartbreaking statement; I'm so sorry. My professional background gives me some insight here, and I'm a single parent who also struggles with degrees of isolation (though in a different way). Don't close the door on yourself. Both you and your son have a right to live fulfilling lives in this world. Take him out. Small steps. While it's not necessarily your job to educate others, a lot of people have a decent capacity for tolerance, but they just don't know how to react. I've fought this battle with other families, you aren't alone.

Aww thank you soo much for your kind words-they actually brought tears to my eyes. I know i should take him out,as it will do both of us the world of good,but it can be very difficult,as if i take him to the local park,for instance,he never wants to leave & gets very upset when i try to make him. Although saying that,the last time i took him was last year & he is able to communicate better now,so it might be a little easier-i guess i wont know until i try. I think part of the problem is i care too much about what other people think-i always have done & find it hard when he has a melt down in public,as other people start staring & i know they're all thinking "look at that naughty child",as of course,he doesnt have a visual disability,so others only see what they percieve to be a child acting up. That & the fact that hes very tall for his age,so has always looked a lot older than he is. Sorry,im waffling on now-thanks again for your kind words :)