Decline in Endurance

Options
cybershaz
cybershaz Posts: 21 Member
Would love any insight /ideas. I've been running for about 3 years, and did my first half marathons last year. This year I started the year with a 30km race. I have another 30km coming up in a few weeks. Over the past 2-3 months I've really seen a drop in my stamina for my long runs.

I looked at my training logs for my half & 30km and for my long runs I've lost about 1 minute/km in speed. If anything, I should be stronger as I'm doing a lot more strength training this year. I'm also cycling a lot more so I don't know if that would have any negative impact.

The only thing I can think of is that somehow the weather is affecting me as it's been really hot in Toronto this summer. That just seems like a really big impact, when generally heat is not an issue for me.

I've gone to my doctor so they're checking blood, etc. (no results yet). I'm actually feel unprepared for my 30km coming up because I feel like I just can't run like I did even 6 months ago. Was hoping to do a marathon in November but now I'm questioning it.

Thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks.

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yes, the heat can have a huge impact on your endurance/performance. Especially when you aren't acclimated

In addition, with increased sweating, you could just be low in iron.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to race every workout? 85% or so of your running should be at an easy, conversational pace. Depending upon the weather and how tired you are from life and training, this pace can vary by 90 seconds per mile on a day to day basis. To give you an example, I run a 5K in the 6:20 m/m range, yet my easy runs can vary from 8:45 to 10:00 per mile.

The only true gauge of fitness is to run a race. Make sure you are properly trained and properly rested for it. If you have a big drop off from previous races that were contested on similar courses and like conditions, then you need to take a look at what is going on.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Heat can definitely be a problem. How about sleep? And how are you eating? Are you getting enough carbs for fuel?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to race every workout? 85% or so of your running should be at an easy, conversational pace. Depending upon the weather and how tired you are from life and training, this pace can vary by 90 seconds per mile on a day to day basis. To give you an example, I run a 5K in the 6:20 m/m range, yet my easy runs can vary from 8:45 to 10:00 per mile.

The only true gauge of fitness is to run a race. Make sure you are properly trained and properly rested for it. If you have a big drop off from previous races that were contested on similar courses and like conditions, then you need to take a look at what is going on.

^^^^^ This

I was shocked when I checked the recommended paces on McMillan's site (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate) they seemed painfully slow for easy days - check it out & good luck getting back on track.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What kind of strength training are you doing? If you lift heavy you might find your muscles aren't recovered enough to run the next day. Have a goal for each run - make sure your long runs are at an easy pace and you save speed-work for shorter mid-week runs.

Do you have at least one complete rest day a week? You might also benefit from a longer break - I come back faster and stronger after having a week of only doing fun activity when I feel like it rather than a daily workout.

Finally are you eating enough? As you increase distance, you really need to keep an eye on your nutrition. If you've been cutting carbs you'll need to reintroduce a higher percentage.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Seeing that I'm close to you, the heat this summer has been insane, and that will DEFINITELY slow you down. The body can only cool itself off at a certain pace. So if you're running in 40c humidex temps, it won't cool itself down very efficiently and you'll have to slow down.

Here's a little chart I found;
    http://www.over40runner.com/info/RunningInTheHeat.html
  • cybershaz
    Options
    Thanks all for your thoughts!

I'm definitely mixing up my speeds. I do a mix of long slow, easy and tempo or speedwork every week (generally 3 runs/week). Then on another day I'll do TRX/kettlebells + core yoga. A few days I'll be cycling (mainly commuting - about 20km on those days). I do take a full rest day every week.

I do think the heat is a large factor. Cool chart RVachon71 - thanks!

Good question about sleep, etc. I definitely have felt more off lately and am concerned about anemia or low B12. Got bloodwork done but not back at the doctor for 3 more weeks to find out the verdict.

Went back out last night for 22km and I felt a bit more back to normal. I think something slowing me down (by impacting my posture) was moving to a hydration pack from water belt. I think it was throwing me off kilter a bit and I was running inefficiently too.

Thanks again!
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Cool Pace calculator!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The heat thing makes a lot of sense - my first summer running properly and I wondered why I just haven't been getting the speeds I'd normally do quite easily. Thanks!
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

This.

I can walk faster than McMillan's pace calculator, so I do run faster than suggested, but my long runs are still really slowwwwwwww... about 3 minutes slower than 5k pace.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Heat will slow you down a LOT.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Heat will slow you down a LOT.

True. Studies show that it takes about 3 weeks to acclimate to running in the heat. Those three weeks of adaptation will be considerably slower, but your pace will gradually creep back toward your normal range, but still a bit slower than when you run at cooler temperatures.
  • cybershaz
    Options
    Thanks all! 30km race on Sat ... and temps around 22C for the run so that's good news. I'm hoping for sub 3:00 which isn't speedy, but it's steady and good for me. :)
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    are you kidding??!! sub 3 hours for a 30k is really fast to me! just do your thing, go your pace and the rest will sort itself out.

good luck and enjoy it!
  • Usa9872001
    Usa9872001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The heat has definitely slowed me down this summer!