Week 3 - 8/13-8/19

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
Welcome to week 3 of the Couch to 5K! We've taken baby steps so far, but this week we're going to ramp up the intensity a little bit - we have two 3 minute runs to do in each workout this week. If that sounds intimidating, that's okay - but don't let that stop you. You have the strength and endurance to do this - so go prove it.

This week, the workout is:

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)

This workout should be done 3x this week. Check in on this thread as you go through the week - let's hear how you're doing!

Replies

• tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I'm behind in posting because we were traveling. Finished W2D3 yesterday and am planning a Tu/Th/Sat rotation for Week 3. Hope everyone has great workouts this week!
  • LoNCole
    LoNCole Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just finished w3d1. I was dredding it this morning thinking I could never make the three min runs but I did some major pep talks while I was running and I made it through both ! I actually was smiling after the last one! I can wait for day 2!
    I'm still pretty slow my average mile was 14:40. But it's about a minute less then when I started so I'm happy.
  • ladasade
    ladasade Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Finished W3D1 and ARGH! Hell is now a 3-letter word, one for each endless minute. I made it through the first 3-minute run, yay me! The second one I had to make a few stops.

I was debating whether to go back to week 2, but decided I'll stick with week 3 until I can make it through both 3 minute runs without stops.

I also can't believe how much easier the 90 second runs are.
  • funylady
    funylady Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just ran 3 minutes straight, twice!
    I finished W3D1 this morning! I was worried about the 3minute runs; I have never been a runner, even at the peak of my fitness in my 20's and I had to take an extra day between week two and three since we had a busy weekend. I made it through the whole workout without stopping and although I was thinking 'when is the 3 minutes going to end' I went stong through both 3 minute runs. My calves are definitely sore but it's a good sore. Can't wait till wednesday.
    Great job everyone, keep up the good work and stick with it. WE CAN DO THIS! :smile:
  • ktb1962
    ktb1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Finished Week3/Day 1 this morning. I made it through that first 3 min run with no problems, but I struggled the second time. I made it all the way through, just labored more. Again, I think it's my pacing. I start out feeling so good that I think I go to fast so by the second run through, I'm tired and struggle. Does anyone else have the same issue and how do you handle it? I am looking forward to day 2 though. I'm on a personal mission :) I hope everyone has great runs today/this week!
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Finished week 3, day 1. Definately tougher!!! But I did it! And talk about slow.... I only did one mile in the 25 minutes. :-) endurance then speed is my plan.
  • MomStar5
    MomStar5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to start week 3 tomorrow but I'm so excited about seeing the scale move (finally) that I may repeat one of last weeks workouts today.
  • Uplink51
    Uplink51 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So I was doing W3D2 this morning, and I was half way through the first 3 minute interval when my right calf muscle starting hurting pretty good... at first, it was hard to tell if it was a cramp or a strain. Didn't hurt too bad while walking back to the car, but now after sitting for an hour, it seems pretty sore, so I suppose it is some kind of strain or sprain. I am kinda bummed - I hope this doesn't set me back for too long. Does anyone have any experience with this type of injury? Definitely a new one to me!
  • eli_802
    eli_802 Posts: 60
    Options
    just finished w3d1 and i'm loving it! the 90 seconds went by so quickly both times, and the 3 minute intervals weren't even that bad.

for those of you who are having a hard time with the 3 minutes: select a GOOD song on your ipod, crank it, and don't pay attention to the time. a good song can get you through anything! and luckily, most songs these days are between 3-4 minutes, so its a perfect amount of time.

some of the songs i will be running to this week are:

glad you came - timeflies (remix of The Wanted version, awesome beat!)
    hit and run - breathe caroline
    one more night - maroon 5
    like a machine - david guetta vt. amanda
    blow me (one last kiss) - p!nk

hope this helps! hang in there guys, we got this!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    So I was doing W3D2 this morning, and I was half way through the first 3 minute interval when my right calf muscle starting hurting pretty good... at first, it was hard to tell if it was a cramp or a strain. Didn't hurt too bad while walking back to the car, but now after sitting for an hour, it seems pretty sore, so I suppose it is some kind of strain or sprain. I am kinda bummed - I hope this doesn't set me back for too long. Does anyone have any experience with this type of injury? Definitely a new one to me!

Are you trying to go too fast, too soon? Are you doing enough stretching before and after your session? It really matters, you have to really warm those muscles up before you start and give them a little TLC when you're finished. Also, I find eating a banana every day helps because of the potassium. Tahe it easy for a couple of days, do some stretching, and you will be good to go.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Week 4 Day 1 is in the books! I found today that the brisk walking segments were getting to be annoying, I wanted them to hurry up and be over so I could get back to running...who would have thought! :laugh:
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Week 3, Day 1 complete! I was so nervous about the 3 minute run, but I had nothing to worry about--it wasn't as difficult as I thought. It actually felt really good to not stop running after 90 seconds. Good luck with this week everyone!
  • RandomPeopleDancin
    Options
    Back to W3 due to time off and an injury =/ Plus it has been so hot here, I just can't cope with W4 again X.X
    Gosh, my calves are so weak. Hope they strengthen up soon!
  • arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
    I did W3D1 yesterday, and I have a question. If we're going by times, not distances, how far are we supposed to be going? I went farther than 2400 yards, that's for sure. [edited for grammar]
  • kehuizenga
    Options
    I have been averaging around 2-2.5 miles. Eventually we are trying to build ourselves up to 3.1 miles...but for now I am just worried about gaining endurance. Once I finish the program I will start working on distance and speed.
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I did W3D1 yesterday, and I have a question. If we're going by times, not distances, how far are we supposed to be going? I went farther than 2400 yards, that's for sure. [edited for grammar]

I only went 1 mile... I'm really slow!
  • MomStar5
    MomStar5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I finished w3d1 this morning while pushing the stroller around the track. It definitely slows me down a bit but at least I did it. Here is a tip for those with a smartphone: you can use use the Nike+ Running app at the same time as the C25K app and track distance, and it is a free app, no accessories required.
  • LoNCole
    Options

I go 2 miles every run and I hope to go further with each week.
  • kehuizenga
    Options
    W3D2 complete! I must have been a little slower because I only went 1.95 miles...oops.
  • LoNCole
    Options
    W3d2 done. Made it through. Not as good as day 1 but I stil feel good about it.