Speed by type of bike?

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
Just wondering what kind of speeds are "typical" based on the type of bike.

On my old mountain bike, that needed new tires, I was averaging only 8 or 9 mph.

On my new hybrid bike, I'm probably averaging 12 to 15 mph, when I'm not with my kids LOL.

I don't have a road bike, nor do I want one (I don't trust cars enough to want to share the road with them!).

I know I'm slow, I was just wondering what typical speeds by bike type would be for the average person.

Replies

• Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    On my road bike, it is not unusual to have riding speeds from 16 to 24 mph, My average speed on my commute to and from work is around 18 mph, but that also includes the slow down and start up from traffic lights.

My fasted I have ever ridden my road bike was 47.5 mph an a big downhill section I have near my work.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    "Typical" is whatever you make it.
    When I first got into road biking, my typical speed was about 16 mph. Now that I'm stronger, it's up to 19-20 mph with sprints around 30.
    On my mountain bike on singletrack, my typical speed might be about 10 mph.
    The important thing is to get out there, ride, and have fun.
    Don't worry about speed. You're out there for the exercise and fresh air, not to win the Tour de France.
    Enjoy the ride, and keep the rubber side down.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Typical depends on the engine. I know folks on $12k time trial bikes that can't get over 17mph.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Don't worry about speed. You're out there for the exercise and fresh air, not to win the Tour de France.
    Enjoy the ride, and keep the rubber side down.

Yup, not worried about it, just curious. And waiting for my first bike crash LOL. I've been getting beat up a lot lately so I'm sure it's not far on the horizon LOL. Hopefully I get the stitches out from ice skating first and my hip heals from running. It's hell getting old!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's the engine, not the bike. Also, so many factors about the bike.

I'm faster on my 2003 trek 7300 hybrid than I am on my 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 road bike. -If we're talking top speed.
    I cruise at 15 on the hybrid, and 17 on the road bike. 17/19 if I'm pushing a little.
    I wear out faster on the hybrid.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    On a decent roadbike, I can go for 4-5 hours at a time at a half-reasonable 15mph average (provided it's not particularly hilly terrain) - same roads, I'd be hard pushed to keep up 10-11mph on the MTB - the heavier bike, less aero position with the wide bars and upright posture, and (the real killer) the big thick heavyily treaded off-road tyres just make it far more "draggy". The good news however, is I usually burn a similar amount of energy on a 2 hour ride on either bike - it's just that one of them is 30 miles and the other is 20 or less!.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I know folks on $12k time trial bikes that can't get over 17mph.

:huh: Why would you spend $12k on a TT bike if you can't ride an average of over 17mph?

All the gear, no idea?
  • omma_to_3
    Options

:huh: Why would you spend $12k on a TT bike if you can't ride an average of over 17mph?

All the gear, no idea?

Well, I know I spend WAY more on my golf equipment than my skill level would indicate LOL. If I can't golf well, I may as well look like I can!
  • scott091501
    Options

All the gear, no idea?

Well, I know I spend WAY more on my golf equipment than my skill level would indicate LOL. If I can't golf well, I may as well look like I can!
    Because a custom bike with Di2 is cool and well those Zipps will save you a few minutes, maybe, on your next olympic triathlon, oh and the race photos will look awesome.
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post Omma. I have been wondering the same question for a while as I ride MTB with road wheels on, but I am considering buying a road bike next spring. As I use my bike for commuting mainly and it is ten miles I reckon I could probably shave at least five minutes off my ride (currently between 50 and 60 minutes depending on traffic conditions). I know I should enjoy the ride, but when work is involved, the sooner you get there and the sooner you get back is a major motivation. Will be able to put the chunky tyres back on the MTB and introduce some variety to my rides also.
  • DarleneD601
    DarleneD601 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thats something I was wondering too. On my Trek hybrid, I avg a little above or below 10 .....I need to speed it up I guess. :-)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I tend to average about 15-16mph on my hybrid, counting warmup and traffic. Always wanting to go faster and further...
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    It's the engine not the bike. I know people who can ride a mtn bike faster than I can ride my roadie.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    It's the engine not the bike. I know people who can ride a mtn bike faster than I can ride my roadie.

yeah, but they'd be even faster on a roadbike... :wink:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

yeah, but they'd be even faster on a roadbike... :wink:

Sexier at least for sure. :tongue:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i got a good 10-12mph on my mountain bike, and i can get a nice 19mph average on my road bike.

and on my first sprint triathlon, i passed plenty of folks on their $12,000 tri bike.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    and on my first sprint triathlon, i passed plenty of folks on their $12,000 tri bike.

Gotta love that!
  • scott091501
    Options

Gotta love that!

yeah it always feels good to go flying by guys on P4s with 808/disc setups.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Gotta love that!

yeah it always feels good to go flying by guys on P4s with 808/disc setups.

sounds like my wife who came to support me when I was doing a triathlon and bought her folding bike to dodge across the course to cheer me on in 2 different points. A bit of her route was on the main tri course and she overtook 2 people on TT bikes... *they* didnt think it was funny, she's still laughing now :D