Calories vs points

Options
Turtle003
Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
I'm a little scared to leave WW now...I have been on MFP for 3 days now and I notice that eating 1400 cals a day is going way over my 26 points allowed a day on WW. Does anyone else notice that too and what do you do?

Replies

• chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    you will drive yourself crazy if you do both at the same time. it's got to be one or the other. i follow points plus. every once in awhile i will log food on here just to see. but, you can't do both. i have always "over think" things. don't over think it.
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I agree with chipper. I tried to do both for a while. Now I just come on here for the boards and log on WW
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I should add that I seem to lose weight better when doing points instead of calories. Not sure why.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Well since I don't have an etool account I log my calories here and notice most days that my calories are in the 1200-1400 range....usually it's 1400 if I got over my 29 points though and some days are closer to 1100. I don't pay attention to calories too much though. If you wanted to get technical and still lose I would stick to 1200 calories and focus on fiber and protein! The higher the better :)
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that you canNOT follow both plans at the same time.

Right now I'm following WW, and only tracking sometimes on MFP. On the days that I use a lot of weeklies and activity points, I will go WAY over my MFP calories. That's what's different about the two plans. WW has those "extra" points (calories) and MFP does not (but allows for you to eat your exercise calories).

Both plans are great and will help you to lose weight if you follow them, but they really can't be followed perfectly at the same time.
  • sashalee2001
    Options
    I don't count calories, it destroys me...haha

I only count my WW points to save my sanity.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I like to see both. Points & Calories. I go by Points though. For me the calories is informational only. I don't fuss over them.
  • effcla
    effcla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's funny; I am having better luck counting the calories then I did tracking points. I lost 30 lbs on WW 25 years ago and kept it off until 2008 when my kidneys started failing and I had to be on a very restricted diet. I put 40 on through the transplant which I had in 2009 up to now. I have gained and lost the same 10 lbs since the transplant and am tired of the up and down so decided to try counting calories. I'm finding it much easier to do than having to calculate points, etc. But I know I'm always good for a month before I start slipping. I'm two weeks into counting calories and have lost 5 lbs. Hopefully I will be able to stay motivated after the first month.
  • AleksD3
    AleksD3 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do much better counting points rather than calories. I've tried just doing MFP and I just can't make it work for me but I like points even is does cost me $18 a month. I figure those $18 are going towards my health and not towards mcdonalds or ice cream or whatever.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this board. I'm fixing to start back on WW AND going to meetings (I'm having a hard time getting started with getting my eating under control this time). I found that I do much better with points. For some reason calories drives me crazy.
  • alivilas
    alivilas Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Counting points wasn't working for me at this point in time, especially with doing quite a bit of exercise. I now use the "olivia method" by counting calories (deficit points to better calculate weight loss) on MFP.
  • sspahn49
    sspahn49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You are right, if I count calories for my 26PP it is only about 1000-1100. This site gives me 1300 calories a day but remember we do not count fruit and veggies on WW. I have lost weight on WW but am not getting enough protein. If you use this food tracker it will give you the breakdown of carbs, fats etc. Good luck.
  • StaycJulia
    Options
    I still go by points but I like to see exactly what I am eating in calories, fat, fiber and protein for my points. I realized I was not getting enough fiber. MFP as a supplement to WW has helped me balance my eating.
  • libbi
    libbi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Counting calories stresses me out but somehow points are manageable for me. Yes I notice the difference between the two, but I follow points first and just track on here for record. I think the "free" foods account for some of that difference. Not to mention the new Points PLUS uses fiber and protein without actually counting calories. Your body uses those differently, so they count differently. It seems very similar to the Insulin Resistance Diet (for people with hormone issues) where the mantra is "Calories count but don't count calories!"
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've used PP for 3 weeks. For the 1st week I stopped counting calories, but I became concerned that I wasn't eating enough protein and fiber. So now I do both. With exercise, I eat my 29 points everyday, rarely dipping into weekly or activity points. I still track what I eat because keeping up with macros is important to me.

I decided to try weight watcher for 3 months because I thought it might be "easier" than calorie counting, but I feel that WW alone isn't complete enough for my health goals.
  • FluffyBottom82
    FluffyBottom82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am doing weight watchers at home. I mostly joined this site for the benefit of support from others...we dont have weight watcher meetings available in my town...and I dont want to pay the online fee. I go by my points....but I also wanted to see just how many calories I am actually consuming. I have only been on mfp for a couple of days...so far I run out of points WAY before calories lol
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I do both...I keep track of my points (26 per day) and count calories. Yes, there are some days when I go over my points, but I found I was eating WAY TOO MUCH fruit on WW alone. Since starting MFP and counting my calories I am back to losing weight, I had plateaued BIG time. For some both works, for others it doesn't. Just like we are all different!
  • FluffyBottom82
    FluffyBottom82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do both...I keep track of my points (26 per day) and count calories. Yes, there are some days when I go over my points, but I found I was eating WAY TOO MUCH fruit on WW alone. Since starting MFP and counting my calories I am back to losing weight, I had plateaued BIG time. For some both works, for others it doesn't. Just like we are all different!

I had the same problem...to much fruit, and carbs even though I was sticking to my points. The days I used some of my weekly 49 I was having WAY to many calories. I was still losing, but I think this will help me lose better.
  • sspahn49
    sspahn49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do both WW and MFP. I found the calories to be about 1100-1200 if I converted the points over to MFP calories. That was using no weeklys or activity points. MFP gave me 1300 a day including fruits and veggies. I was told by WW leader to use the weeklies but I am stuck at 26 lbs lost and cannot move it. 2lbs up 2 lbs down for weeks. I am trying to add back some good fats and suck up the points. I was eating a lot of fat-free and sugar-free foods on WW which are full of chemicals. We will see what happens. I do feel better, not as sluggish and skin and hair look better. Good luck.
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do both as well, and try to keep to the 1200 calories, even if it means grabbing an extra piece of fruit or two.