exercise induced acid reflux, indigestion

Options
danabromley
danabromley Posts: 87 Member
I just was wondering if any one here gets indigestion and acid reflux from exercising, and if so what do you do for it. I'm on medication for this issue but I'm finding when I exercise lately its not controlling it any more. It's only bad when exercising. It's still under control fine about an hour or so after. Any idea's???

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I usually take Zantac with my meals. That seems to help with acid reflux. The other thing you can take is some baking soda with water when you get the attack. I know what you mean though and it's horrible. I know my doc said the weight is what causes the excessive acid. Sucks.
  • Limbo2012
    Limbo2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been drinking 16 oz of water an hour before exercising and another 16 oz after and it has helped me quite a lot. Good luck! :)
  • Wrreck
    Wrreck Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I suffer from GERD too Dana. My backup to my medication is gaviscon tablets. They aren't cheap but they sure do keep the acid from creeping up where it doesn't belong! Try chomping two tablets shortly before beginning your exercise session to see if it will help you too.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    My backup to my medication is Gaviscon tablets.

I totally agree! I keep those in my purse. You have to really look but some places will sell them in little aluminum foil packets which are great for traveling. I've gotten the packets at pharmacies. I know they've really come in handy on occasion. You do need a water bottle on hand though to down them after chewing them up. I keep a water bottle handy though at places like amusement parks you can probably just ask for a glass of water.
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    interesting ive noticed a lot of bleching while excercising. Also the belching has increased i would say in the last 3 weeeks I thought of it as odd since i am losing weight why would that bring on an onset? i've taken pepto and seems to help. Not on drs meds though, not that bad of problem, yet and hopefully not.

i am drinking at least 8 glasses of water or more, and also eating lots of salads would that bring it on the excessive belching ?