Amputees vs Non-Amputees

Options

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

You might be onto something. Ratings would probably go up if they competed without uniforms (swim suits).

Absolutely! I was delighted when they banned full-body suits for men - makes watching the swimming SO much more fun :wink: :laugh:
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    Tell you what. Let's see how many athletes are willing to line up to gain his 'advantage', shall we? I'm guessing the queue will be quite short...

His name is Oscar Pistorius. He's a national hero, and a symbol of hope to abled and disabled people alike. He's an incredible human being. He inspires millions of people. He inspires me. He was born without legs, but that hasn't stopped him from being a tremendous university rugby player, and a great runner.

Michael Phelps has a genetic "mutation" (not my choice of term, obviously, unnecessarily pathologising - but Marfan syndrome is an established genetic disease) that contributes to his unusually long arms and undoubtedly enables his swimming prowess. Does your wife object to him too, with his inborn advantage? Or is that somehow alright?

Most elite athletes have some thing that sets them apart from us 'mere mortals'. I don't see how Oscar is any different from any other track athlete in that regard.

I don't know that your example is really relevant. Michael Phelps does not need special equipment to compete. Oscar Pistorius cannot compete without his blades. One could argue if Oscar had legs he would just be really good and not elite.

That said, it is what it is. He is an inspiration to so many people and I am happy he was given the opportunity to compete.

Technically, he does need his suit, goggles and head cap. Obviously he can compete without these items but these items help with the whole drag issue. Minimally but they help.

You might be onto something. Ratings would probably go up if they competed without uniforms (swim suits).

Exactly! :laugh:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Tell you what. Let's see how many athletes are willing to line up to gain his 'advantage', shall we? I'm guessing the queue will be quite short...

His name is Oscar Pistorius. He's a national hero, and a symbol of hope to abled and disabled people alike. He's an incredible human being. He inspires millions of people. He inspires me. He was born without legs, but that hasn't stopped him from being a tremendous university rugby player, and a great runner.

Michael Phelps has a genetic "mutation" (not my choice of term, obviously, unnecessarily pathologising - but Marfan syndrome is an established genetic disease) that contributes to his unusually long arms and undoubtedly enables his swimming prowess. Does your wife object to him too, with his inborn advantage? Or is that somehow alright?

Most elite athletes have some thing that sets them apart from us 'mere mortals'. I don't see how Oscar is any different from any other track athlete in that regard.

I don't know that your example is really relevant. Michael Phelps does not need special equipment to compete. Oscar Pistorius cannot compete without his blades. One could argue if Oscar had legs he would just be really good and not elite.

That said, it is what it is. He is an inspiration to so many people and I am happy he was given the opportunity to compete.

Technically, he does need his suit, goggles and head cap. Obviously he can compete without these items but these items help with the whole drag issue. Minimally but they help.

all of the athletes have those.

you cant let 1 athlete drastically change the way the race is usually done. in the sense of using different equipment.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yes he's placed at a higher disadvantage than the other athletes. The fore what he's achieved is amazing.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

you cant let 1 athlete drastically change the way the race is usually done. in the sense of using different equipment.

It isn't 'equipment'. It's his legs.

And as I've said a few times now, there's clear evidence, presented by the IAF that the disadvantages outweigh the small advantage of bounce. Do you have some evidence that the IAF didn't consider, that in some way invalidates this view?
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Absolutely! I was delighted when they banned full-body suits for men - makes watching the swimming SO much more fun :wink: :laugh:

LOL! That was funny.

As to why did she get hissy about this? I guess it's because she used to run track (pretty good mind you). I told her if it was advantageous, everyone would be severing limbs and records would be broken. SHe went on to say then we would only have the Paralympics then. I'm actually enjoying this converastion with her as well. She's an introvert, so I normally don't get too much push back from her. I guess we all have our passions. Track her hers. Working where she's working, I'm sure she is trying to get scientific data. I say let Myth Busters sort them out.

And before the PC police come out guns blazing, my wife volunteers her time with disabled children.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My husband's BF lost a leg. The amount of daily aggravation he experiences from his prosthetic is considerable. It's pretty much an ongoing pain, which can easily bloom into an infection, that he has to constantly monitor and care for.

The small amount of advantage the prosthetics may give don't outweigh the drawbacks. He may not have to worry about his achilles tendon, but he has a stump that the "regular" runners don't have to contend with, and that more than evens the field.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

It isn't 'equipment'. It's his legs.

And as I've said a few times now, there's clear evidence, presented by the IAF that the disadvantages outweigh the small advantage of bounce. Do you have some evidence that the IAF didn't consider, that in some way invalidates this view?

they are not his legs...they are pieces of equipment that allow him to walk.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Can you answer my question laces_out? Or are we taking your non response as concession?

Pasting it down here again, in case you're having trouble remembering it.... "And as I've said a few times now, there's clear evidence, presented by the IAF that the disadvantages outweigh the small advantage of bounce. Do you have some evidence that the IAF didn't consider, that in some way invalidates this view?"
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    So today I saw a double amputee run a 400m run against others. My wife, who was a state track star, went on to say how unfair that was. She went on to say how he won't have a chance to tweak an ankle, get a calf cramp, ect. What do you guys think. Do amputees have an unfair advantage when they go against someone who has none?

I know quite a few runners and they all agree with your wife.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    Can you answer my question laces_out? Or are we taking your non response as concession?

Pasting it down here again, in case you're having trouble remembering it.... "And as I've said a few times now, there's clear evidence, presented by the IAF that the disadvantages outweigh the small advantage of bounce. Do you have some evidence that the IAF didn't consider, that in some way invalidates this view?"

i dont know the politics of the IAF. but there are plenty of runners and other experts who say they should not be allowed. this is a new area for sport. i wouldnt be surprised if in the next olympics they are banned. just like the full body swim suits.

this is what the paralympics are for...for people who have disabilites/need equipment in order to participate in a sport.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

i dont know the politics of the IAF. but there are plenty of runners and other experts who say they should not be allowed. this is a new area for sport. i wouldnt be surprised if in the next olympics they are banned. just like the full body swim suits.

this is what the paralympics are for...for people who have disabilites/need equipment in order to participate in a sport.

But surely, if someone with a disability can, with the assistance of equipment that has been judged to put him at a disadvantage in comparison with the able-bodied, compete with elite athletes to the extent that Pistorius can - he still made the Olympic semi-final, after all, meaning he ran faster than a lot of able-bodied athletes in the heats - that should be celebrated, as I believe it rightly is being. I'd be surprised if the IAF tried to rescind permission, given there's no measurable advantage. As for your runners and experts, I could point you to just as many who think the opposite. Including many of the worlds' fastest, who ran alongside him in the semi-final.

At the end of the day, I don't see who is hurt by this, in any case. If he runs fast enough, he gets through, if he doesn't, he doesn't progress and others who ran faster do - that's the basic premise he understands and accepts, as should we. He's not given extra time, or a different starting block in deference to the challenges he faces. As extraordinary an athlete as he is, Pistorius is unlikely to beat the best of the able-bodied. His equipment - physical and 'extra', while excellent, simply gives him too many disadvantages to pose a serious risk of "unjustly" (in the eyes of some) winning medals, titles etc in competition with the able-bodied.

The Paralympics, for my money, ought to be run simultaneously with the Olympics. It's distressing that this event is still regarded as second-class and scheduled several weeks later with so much less fanfare and investment.
  • meerkat70
    Options

Could you give some supportive data? The IAF used a range of scientific measures to determine he was at a *disadvantage*.

You don't think it's possible that your 'experts' are a bit influenced by the pervasive disablism that would like to keep our amputees 'special'?

And I agree with castadiva about the paralympics. I'm delighted to be going. I couldn't afford to go to the olympics. I can go to the paralympics because the tickets are less than a fifth of the price. What does that, alone, tell us about how the different events are valued in our culture?
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add this a couple of days ago but have had internet trouble.

I always saw him as being at a disadvantage. Granted he has less body weight and won't get cramp in his calves, injure his achilles or any other lower leg injury, but he also has less control over his lower "legs" and doesn't have the muscles control in his lower legs and feet that the other runners do. He has fewer leg muscles to propel his entire bodyweight, even if it is lighter than the other runners. I think it all evens out just about, perhaps putting him at a slight disadvantage. Just a physicist's perspective :smile:
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Could you give some supportive data? The IAF used a range of scientific measures to determine he was at a *disadvantage*.

You don't think it's possible that your 'experts' are a bit influenced by the pervasive disablism that would like to keep our amputees 'special'?

And I agree with castadiva about the paralympics. I'm delighted to be going. I couldn't afford to go to the olympics. I can go to the paralympics because the tickets are less than a fifth of the price. What does that, alone, tell us about how the different events are valued in our culture?

i dont care enough to research any data for you.

and of course the Olympics cost a lot more to attend because that is where the best of the best are competing. people care very little about any other competitions...paralympics, Goodwill Games, etc... not sure why this is surprising or noteworthy to you.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Yes it's an advantage. Human feet are designed to have "bounce" also, but the difference between his prosthetic and a human foot is the prosthetic doesn't get fatigued like feet muscle do in a race.

Also, he still has his quad muscles which do 80% of the work whether your Pistorius or someone with all they're legs. Combine that with lighter the prosthetic, in turn having less inertia to control, you end up with an advantage.

I'M TALKING ABOUT A RACE SITUATION, NOT EVERY DAY LIFE AND LIVING WITH IT.
  • Gilbrod
    Options
    Yes it's an advantage. Human feet are designed to have "bounce" also, but the difference between his prosthetic and a human foot is the prosthetic doesn't get fatigued like feet muscle do in a race.

Also, he still has his quad muscles which do 80% of the work whether your Pistorius or someone with all they're legs. Combine that with lighter the prosthetic, in turn having less inertia to control, you end up with an advantage.

I'M TALKING ABOUT A RACE SITUATION, NOT EVERY DAY LIFE AND LIVING WITH IT.

That was my wife's point. He gets points for trying to compete, but regardless if he came in last, he had an advantage race wise. According to her research, the devices actually allowed the quad muscle to exert 25% less force than actual feet, and giving him more bounce with it. He is using a lot less energy to run. But anyway, he's a hero to some do to life, and to some, somebody who had to sue the Olympic Committee to get his way. Life goes on and he got his 15 seconds of fame. Good on him.
  • Lozze
    Options
    That was my wife's point. He gets points for trying to compete, but regardless if he came in last, he had an advantage race wise. According to her research, the devices actually allowed the quad muscle to exert 25% less force than actual feet, and giving him more bounce with it. He is using a lot less energy to run. But anyway, he's a hero to some do to life, and to some, somebody who had to sue the Olympic Committee to get his way. Life goes on and he got his 15 seconds of fame. Good on him.

I'm glad your wife has read all the scientific tests and knows better than the actual experts.
  • Gilbrod
    Options

I'm glad your wife has read all the scientific tests and knows better than the actual experts.

She is an expert in physics :o) And does research for NASA. Have a wonderful day.
  • Lozze
    Options
    She is an expert in physics :o) And does research for NASA. Have a wonderful day.

So she's read all the tests?

Either way your wife does not have the requisite knowledge to be able to accurately determine a case she's knows nothing about? She MUST be a smart one to be able to figure out this all by osmosis!