Goldilocks Shares Her Sweet Pot Chip Frustrations

Options
Made baked sweet pot chips for me (1st attempt) & real homemade fries for my family..bad idea to do both wo experiencing the baked sweet pot chips first. The fries smelled so good and tasted so good, how in heck were those healthy sweet potato chips suppose to compete. I set myself up, cause fries are like my ultimate food.

Good news is I didn't get a craving and I snagged a few with mindfulness and left them alone. The problem was the poor chips just weren't doing it for me. Some were burnt/too thin. Some were too soft/too thick. I sound like Goldilocks looking for the perfect sweet pot chip. But there is a lot of truth in it. I also didn't do the calculations so I didn't know what my portion was...but I do now.

Reminder for me...sweet potato will never replace Real Fries, howerver the goodness that comes from them is such a gift to our bodies. I wont do both at the same meal ;)

Now, here is the rough part...it was late, I was tired n hungry n disappointed w the sweet pot chips, so I had a few pieces of baklava. It was gd, didnt have a craving, howerver the point is why I felt I needed to supplement my meal.

Thanks, I just needed to share and make some connections :)

Replies

• BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Just a thought from a fries lover...and every oven is different...it may take a few tries before you find the sweet spot. I bake the fries or chips on a cookie sheet till done, but covered or wrapped with aluminum foil. Then I uncover them and broil till crisp. As to to temps and times, I finally threw out all the recipes and did according to how my oven functions. The key for me was to cook first, then crisp last works every time. I love to season spicy with no sodium. Tastes delicious.

I love "real" fries and chips! But as long as these are crunchy and tasty...works for me. Good luck!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I tried making these chips yesterday and had some difficulty. First they didn't crisp, so I put them back in on broil. Left 'em too long and they burned. I think, however, that I figured out what to try next time. I'm going to put them in for the original 20 minutes on 325. Then turn them over and try another 10. Then broil for 5. I'll see if that makes it better. I might try the foil thing too, as dcraton mentions.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    It took me several sweet potatoes before I got it right with my oven. What I finally did was sit on my cooking stool and just watch them broil. Works great for Mission corn tortillas as well. I just cut them into chip size bake on 400 for about 10 minutes...oh sprayed with olive oil on the cookie sheet and top of chips...same for sweet potatoes..then do the watched broil thing. Great with homemade healthy salsa. I season to whatever my salt free mood is. Love Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy, paprika, Cavenders Greek no salt, curry, blah, blah, yum!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    You are dedicated! I am so lazy I do not like to sit in front of the oven. hehe I might have to, though. :)
  • kimmbird
    kimmbird Posts: 55
    Options
    We are determined! We will get the system right. If we're easy, it wouldn't be easy ;)
  • kimmbird
    kimmbird Posts: 55
    Options
    Oops I meant...

If it were easy, it wouldn't be worth it :D