New to Crohn's; What can I expect from this??

I've not been fully dx'd yet, still have two more tests they want to run but the symptoms are pretty classic Crohn's. I can't get in to see a nutritionist until Sept 10th and really not finding to much help in the menu/food department other than it's trial and error.

Hoping to get some additional details about this condition from those on the first lines, ideas about healthy menu choices that will keep my caloric intake up and stop the weight loss I'm going thru right now.

In about 2 1/2 months I've dropped 20+ lbs. Should be happy about that I know, but it's not from doing it the right way, its because I had to be on a liquid diet for a while and I'm still learning what I can and can't handle solid food wise.

Thanks and I look forward to being a group member!

Replies

• Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    The dietary change is different for everyone. But two big ones are eating a low-residue diet ( http://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-disease/low-residue-diet-foods ) and going lactose free. For whatever reason a lot of people with Crohn's are also lactose intolerant. But generally everyone has different foods that tends to set themselves off. Mine tended to include whole grain, fried food, and corn.
  • In the beginning it is hard. I was 11 when i first found out i had it. But when it came to food and weight. Some foods your body will not like at all and you will find them out over time. Mine are red meat, nuts, dried fruits,and very spicy food. Also some meds make you hungry and some even make you gain weight. But exercise always helps your body feel better with crohn's and will help with weight loss. I hope that help! :D