flow practice

Options
kayemme
kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
I'm really starting to feel like i'm getting my flow a lot better these days, but I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions on particular tricks/exercises with the hoop to continue improving it outside of just regular practice.

Replies

• summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    When I practice on my own, I essentially have two different types of practice: trick practice or flow practice. Trick practice is when I just focus on doing particular moves over and over and over again, and I often do this while watching TV so I don't get bored while I repeatedly attempt to shoulder hoop in my second current (or whatever I'm trying to master.) These practices are essential, but can be very frustrating!

For a flow practice, the most important thing I do is to put on some awesome music, the kind of music that I **have** to move to, and my focus is to just keep moving! If I pay more attention to the music than to thinking "what move should I do next?" the flow starts to come more naturally. I give myself permission NOT to push myself with tricks; if I feel like just hooping on my waist and dancing in the hoop, that's what I do.

The other advantage to flow practice is that I sweat more and burn more calories! Actually, I've been thinking about splitting my hoop exercise into two categories: hoop practice (at roughly 300 cal/hour) and hoop flow (450 cal/hour). The two exercises are not equal!
  • morninglilli
    Options
    Yep! What Summer said! :bigsmile:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    that's all great advice! thanks!

i mostly practice with music outside because my apartment is not really hoop-accessible >> i have a ton of ****, though i don't really want any of it.

i'd also like advice on how you guys may or may not hoop with ipods. i find mine sometimes gets in the way. i used to have a great little shuffle, but it wore out a bit, and then i gave it to a friend. music outside of an ipod is somewhat out of the question.
  • stellalunag
    stellalunag Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been sticking my iPhone in my sports bra, but it bruises my boobs (and heavens knows that having a phone next to your boobs for an hour every day can't be good -- radiation, anyone?). I'm seriously thinking of getting a little shuffle.