Anyone knowledgeable about BBT?

Options
Hi all! So I have been charting my temp for the past 33 days and I have not gotten my period yet which I can't say is not normal since I do not have a regular cycle so I just keep charting and hoping to see something happen. This whole time it has bounced around 96.7 with my highest being 97.01 and lowest being 96.56 On Monday I charted 96.70, yesterday was 96.36 and then today was 96.97! Does that mean that I ovulated? I know it says online that some people get a dip of about .4 degrees and then it will spike up, not sure what spiking up should be? They say when the temp rises .4 you most likely ovulated the day before that higher number but my jump today didn't bring me over what I have seen this whole time I have been charting it just dipped one day and is now back to what it kind of noramlly was but in the higherside of my past temps. And it is the first time I ahve gotten that low, the lowest before that was 96.56. Any tips? Below are my temps:

7/24- 96.92
7/25- 96.72
7/26- 96.62
7/27- 96.98
7/28- 96.78
7/29- 96.79
7/30- 96.90
7/31- 96.79
8/1- 96.74
8/2- 97.01
8/3- 96.96
8/4- missed
8/5- missed
8/6- 96.56
8/7- missed
8/8- 96.78
8/9- 96.94
8/10- 96.89
8/11- missed
8/12- missed
8/13- 96.70
8/14- 96.36
8/15- 96.97

Replies

• bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    I don't know about it, but when I asked my doctor about tracking my BBT, she said not to bother since it isn't too accurate and will just drive me crazy. I'd like to see what other people say, though.
  • ShannonJohnson
    ShannonJohnson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm not sure what is best to do. I don't want to get the ovulation sticks cause you only get 7 in a pack and they are so expensive that I would have no idea to even use them! I know others that have done this so thought I'd try it. Guess we'll see if anyone else has had luck or if there are any other suggestions for me to track that.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for almost 5 years. You're temps are kinda out there. Are you temping at the same time each day. Join this site to input your temps in, it will help you estimate when you have ovulated. I use the advanced charting on it, but it is free to get the basic tracking help. It also helps you learn about ovulation cycles. http://www.fertilityfriend.com
  • mistresseeyore
    Options
    By the temps, you haven't ovulated yet. Just to let you know.
  • Caryn03
    Caryn03 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have done BBT for about 2-3 months, which my doc had me do before she would have me go to a infertilaty doctor. There are some free websites you can sign up on to track your BBT, which is what I did. They way your chart should look like is around day 14-17 (in the middle of your cycle) you should see a spike. .4 degrees sounds like it could possibly be it. I would usually try to see if it went .6 of a difference. Anyways, once you hit that spike it means you have ovulated. And that spike should stay up until your cycle starts and then it will drop once it starts. I hope this helps.

When I did mine my chart was all over the place and that is how I found out that I wasn't ovulating. Then went to the doc, did some test and that is when it was found out that I have PCOS.

Anyways, good luck with charting!
  • ShannonJohnson
    Options
    I am using a App on my cell phone to chart and I do it basically the same time each morning, roughly between 5 am and 6 am. Is that too far of a difference in time?

I will see if it keeps going up over the next few days and then I guess I should know if it was ovulation or not.

Do any of you have irregular periods/ long cycles? I don't know when I will get my next cycle cause of the PCOS so I'm just going to continue till then, that's why I am not going off the 14-17 day normal ovualtion time. If mine happens I will probably be later than that. I have never charted a ovulation, this is my first time and first cycle doing it. I have been through fertility treatments: clomid did not work for me, 1st IUI negative result, 2nd and 3rd IUI never happened cause could not get one or two follicles to mature or else there were too many. After that we moved on to IVF which we didi in late May and that turned out negative after transfering 1 egg. After that I got my period very very light a month after I ended the period I got after IVF cycle, I am taking Maca supplements and that might have helped me get it. We are taking a break from fertility treatments, mostly to get our money back from the insurance company before using it again on another round of IVF. In the meantime I'm trying to lose some weight and get pregnant on my own. I was hoping charting this I could see if I am ovualting at all if I can get my cycle to become somewhat regular.

Any tips please send my way :)
  • Caryn03
    Caryn03 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I was told to do my BBT I was told to do it the second you wake up. Before you get outta bed, before you go brush your teeth, before you do anything. For me I didn't keep track of the time I took the temp, just as long as I took it right as I was getting outta bed. I know you say between 5-6, but have you been moving around already? That might SKU your temp because your waking your body up and moving around which could increase your temp depending on what your doing.

I do have irregular periods and long cycles. I never know when my next cylce will start. But I am not taking prometrium (I think that is the correct spelling) which is supposed to make my cycle start at the end of taking it. Once I start my cycle on cycle day 3 I will start taking clomid. This will be my second round of clomid, I will just be taking it longer since the first time my follicles also were mature enought. Seems like you and I are doing it the opposite way of eachother. I did the BBT first, but sounds like your doing that now. But I understand about having to stop for a while to get some money back. It gets pretty pricey.

Anyways, I think losing weight and trying on your own is always good. I hope what I have provided you for the BBT helps. I am trying to lose weight to help with where we are now with everything as well. I just joined MFP this week. So I am hopeing this helps me get to a healthy weight again.
  • ShannonJohnson
    Options
    I do take my temp as soon as I wake up, it's just my wake up time can change about a hour depending if I showered the night before or not. So I do take it before I even sit up, my alarm goes off and I reach for my thermometer and use it as I am still laying in bed. But I suppose other things can effect that too. I'll see how it goes the next few days and will be a happy girl if it keeps rising :)

Yeah for me clomid did not work at all unfortunatly, my friend was successful though! I would go in for my ultrasound around day 10 and there would be no follicles growing, they were there but just none that were getting large enough to even start watching. Doing injectables did work for me though but now we just have to get all the planets and stars to line properly to make it happen without having to do them again, if not we will try IVF again for another 4 tries at least- that is what my insurance will cover.

Keep me posted on your progress or if you have any other tips. Good luck this round!
  • speechsteff
    speechsteff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and charted before my first pregnancy 9 years ago...however the temps never did what they were supposed to. I found that checking my cervical mucous was much more accurate in indicating ovulation. Have you read 'taking charge of your fertility" by Toni Weschler? That booked helped me a lot. I also found it was easiest to get pregnant the month immediately after getting off the pill.
  • nbh628
    nbh628 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been charting my temp for almost a year now using the free website countdowntopregnancy.com; I have found it to be very helpful, using my temperatures I can tell when or if I ovulated as well as when my period will start verses being pregnant (I have had two miscarriages). I take my temperature as soon as the alarm goes off, before getting out of bed...I also take it at the same time every morning, I have found that even the difference of one hour will cause my temps to be off. Good luck, it took me several cycles to figure out how my temperatures worked with my body.
  • mistresseeyore
    Options
    I actually do Natural Family Planning, which is a science of this stuff. If you are 30 minutes over your earliest wake up time you are required to minus .10 degrees for each 30 minutes late, if waking up earlier than usual, then plus .10 degrees. It works. I do the Symptom Thermal Mucus method, and it cross checks everything and pin points ovulation.
  • mistresseeyore
    Options
    I also had very irregular periods until I started losing weight. Mine are now about 30 to 34 day cycles now.
  • ShannonJohnson
    Options
    Well I do not think that I ovulated, my temp keeps going up and down sticking aroung that mid-high 96 mark. So I'll just continue to keep track. I might do Provera to get my cycle to start over again since I am on day 39 today.
  • little28
    Options
    I don't think you ovulated. Your temps are consistently between 96.4 and 96.9 so until you see something in the 97.4 range I wouldn't say you O'd. Temping is great and with my pcos and annovulation it's saved me from thinking I O'd probably 12 times! You just have to not overanalyze because it's rather simple really. I would also recommend using www.fertilityfriend.com to record your temps, it analyzes it for you and saves you the guess work.
  • Shirvona
    Shirvona Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am very into BBT charting but I do it in celcius degrees.

I use a app and website that work together http://www.fertilityfriend.com

This App/site automatically charts the graph for you. It has a pregnancy monitor on it so you can tell how high your chances are of conceiving every month. Free courses to learn all about how to read and interpret your charts, Fertility analyzer to help you know when you are most fertile, there are sample charts for you compare with, etc. I love this site it help me to understand my cycle because I have PCOS I know I have an unusual cycle average of 34 days and ovulate about 11 to 13 days into my cycle and my Luteal phase is about 17 days, this site lets you track all your tests opk tests, pregnancy tests, ov watch, and ferning tests also has many more things you can track basic signs, secondary sings, meds, specifics you notice about your body, weight and also allows you customize extras.

I successfully got pregnant with the help of this app/site and because of this I knew the exact date I ovulated and when I was pregnant before I even took a pregnancy test, I also new when I miscarried even though the doctors kept telling me I was fine.

I highly recommend this app/site mainly because it is free to use for the most part, if you want full access to everything on the site you do have to pay the extra but there is a promo for it through Facebook.

Best of luck to any of you doing BBT Charting, I highly recommend it.