What's new?

Options
KimmyEB
KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
Anyone get any new make-up recently? Try out any new brands or products you'd never tried in the past? :smile:

I'm a huuuuge nail polish fan. I went through my collection (it's pretty vast...not insane...but getting there, lol), and realized that I do not have a single pure red polish! I had a coupon for Sally Hansen, so I bought a bottle of "Rubies and Diamonds"...aka: red. :tongue:

I also got some Tarte tinted foundation. Let me start off by saying that until yesterday afternoon, I'd never worn foundation in my entire life. I've been looking into getting some recently, but was wary because I have terrible skin, and I was always afraid it would make my skin WORSE. So, after googling around a lot about foundations, I decided to try one. However, I realized, I was completely ignorant as to how to put it on. Luckily for me, the woman at Sephora was amazing--she also said she has 3 different skin diseases, so she definitely was the lady to help me. :laugh: She picked out a good foundation for me, explained how to put it on, then actually put some on me, recommended a brush for me to use (which I also got--Sephora brand foundation brush), and even drew me a diagram with some tips and step-by-step directions. When I got home, my boyfriend immediately noticed how smooth and even-toned my face was! And I didn't even feel the foundation on my face whatsoever, an added plus.

Sephora also had Gwen Stefani's Harajuku perfumes on sale, so I got a small bottle of "Music." I admit, I thought they were freaking cute, and that's what grabbed my attention, lol. But I really love how "Music" smells (the one with the pink hair), and I liked whichever one had the bright Yellow hair, as well, and the Red, too!

Replies

• La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Yuppers! Got some Friday night.

I got some new foundation.. Clinique's Even Better (so far so good). I got Benefit's Triple Performing Facial Emulsion moisturizer (love it!!!) annnnd got me my fav- Make Up Forever's mascara.

I gave up on Lancome's Hypnosis. I have had it for about a month and I didn't like it.
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    Yuppers! Got some Friday night.

I got some new foundation.. Clinique's Even Better (so far so good). I got Benefit's Triple Performing Facial Emulsion moisturizer (love it!!!) annnnd got me my fav- Make Up Forever's mascara.

I gave up on Lancome's Hypnosis. I have had it for about a month and I didn't like it.

I really need a new mascara...my current one makes them longer, but seems to take the "Fullness" away from them. :frown:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Haven't been shopping in a while, got the new Viva Glam Nicki last week, it's very pretty and just as bright as I expected! I did order T3 hot rollers from sephora recently and I really love them! I have to clean out my makeup closet so that I have an excuse to go get more ;)
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Tried some new hair products and I am very happy with them. I have naturally curly hair but have spent most of my life wresteling with it -- trying to make it "straighter." For the past 2 weeks I am wearing it curly again and I am happy with it -- so far. Ouidad products -- heat and humidity gel and their styling mouse. Both fairly expensive. But very effective as anti frizz products. These are sold at Sephora and, I believe, Ulta as well.

But the best discovery was at Wallgreens. Twisted Sista 30 second curl revitalizing spray. About $5.00 for a small bottle! Love the stuff.

I have a ton of lip glosses and lip sticks in all price ranges but am trying lip stain for the first time. Have Josie Marin (spelling?) from Sephora, and Tarte. I like the lip stains as they feel very natural -- no stickyness or mess. However, not sure if I love the matte finish. Feel that they may be drying out my lips. Jury still out on the whole lip stain concept. Plus, the color does not last the 6 hours that they claim.

I guess I really am a make up addict!
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    I recently added red to my lips! There's a first time for everything I suppose! I love it. I line then use a lip stain (from Sephora) and it's great. I'm working the pin-up look every now and then now.
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    I recently added red to my lips! There's a first time for everything I suppose! I love it. I line then use a lip stain (from Sephora) and it's great. I'm working the pin-up look every now and then now.

I wish I could pull off colored lips!! I wore a pink lip gloss the other day, and I took it off as soon as I looked at some of the photos my friend and I had taken during the evening. I looked beyond terrible. :(
  • La_Amazona
    Options

I wish I could pull off colored lips!! I wore a pink lip gloss the other day, and I took it off as soon as I looked at some of the photos my friend and I had taken during the evening. I looked beyond terrible. :(

when the chick at sephora put it on.. i felt the same way. i felt like a clown!!! then she added blush and i liked it a bit. i thought about it and went home empty handed. i went back the following week and bought it and did my whole face (blush, eyeshadow, cat liner- total pin up look) and I fell in love!!!
  • KimmyEB
    Options

when the chick at sephora put it on.. i felt the same way. i felt like a clown!!! then she added blush and i liked it a bit. i thought about it and went home empty handed. i went back the following week and bought it and did my whole face (blush, eyeshadow, cat liner- total pin up look) and I fell in love!!!

I've never worn blush before...I honestly wouldn't even know how to apply it. But I'm thinking that's why I looked terrible in lip color--I'm so pale, it just stands out so much. :/ A lot of people already think I wear lip gloss, when in fact, I don't...my lips are just that noticeable due to my whiteness, I believe, lol. I also wore all black that night (dress-up party), so, maybe with some color I can try again. :smile:
  • blushlady
    blushlady Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

You should all try Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics aka OCCmakeup.
    It's the best!!!!
    Lip tars are the most popular of the line, their vivid full coverage lipsticks.
    They go on like lipgloss but stays on like a long wearing lip stain.
    All I can say is amazing.
    The full line includes loose color pigments, glitter, tinted moisturizer and a wide range of long wearing full coverage nail polishes.
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    Hey everyone,

You should all try Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics aka OCCmakeup.
    It's the best!!!!
    Lip tars are the most popular of the line, their vivid full coverage lipsticks.
    They go on like lipgloss but stays on like a long wearing lip stain.
    All I can say is amazing.
    The full line includes loose color pigments, glitter, tinted moisturizer and a wide range of long wearing full coverage nail polishes.

I like the nail polishes! Thanks for the link! :flowerforyou:
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    i am trying to control myself but I really want this >>
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/laura-mercier-signature-color-essentials-travel-set-nordstrom-exclusive-193-value/3298577?origin=shoppingbag

Laura Mercier 'Signature Color Essentials' Travel Set (Nordstrom Exclusive)

:love: :love: :love:
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I wish I could wear bold colors on my lips, but it makes me look too pale.

I have not used foundation since I started using tinted moisturizer.

My new obsession is the gel nail polish.I have soft nail, so polish last 2-3 days if I am lucky. The gel nails last as long as 1.5-2 weeks. It not hard to do, just a little more time consuming than a regular manicure. I put a good chick flick on the tube and go to work.
  • nolachick
    Options

My new obsession is the gel nail polish.I have soft nail, so polish last 2-3 days if I am lucky. The gel nails last as long as 1.5-2 weeks. It not hard to do, just a little more time consuming than a regular manicure. I put a good chick flick on the tube and go to work.

i am obsessed with gel nails. its all i use. i have bought the red and light colors but for french tips i have to go to the salon to get it to look good.

best investment ever
  • KimmyEB
    Options

Same here! The bold color on lips because I'm pale, I mean. I recently started using the tinted balm that I got in my Sephora birthday gift...it gives just a bit of color, but nothing dramatic. And it smells good. :tongue:

I also prefer tinted moisturizers. Tarte's Smooth Operator is my absolute favorite. I've been using my sample of Too Faced's BB cream, and at first I hated it, but it's alright, now that I know that I realize a little of it really goes a long way. :laugh: Too much, and it's too dark on me...even in the lightest shade possible! I had a coupon for the new BB cream from Garnier, so I got that, since it blended well when I tried it in the store...hopefully it's a keeper, since it's less than half the price of Tarte's!

I ordered this beauty with my birthday gift card:

Too-Faced-The-Return-Of-Sexy-Eye-Shadow-Palette.jpg

Along with a ton of samples and my freebie with enough points! hopefully it's all great stuff.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I recently tried the NYX Jumbo Lip pencil. Tried in the color Pecan. Only $4.50 at Ulta.

This is how it was reviewed:

It’s double or nothing with this lip liner and lipstick in one. Our masterful Jumbo Lip Pencils infuse lips with alluring, nourishing color, and help you create a precision pout. That’s line, define and color with one jumbo pencil. Plus the mineral oil formula does not dry our your lips and it goes on smoothly. We likey. Available in 30 shades.

Jury still out. Big change for me was sharpening the pencil. It's encassed in plastic. They don't tell you "on the spot" that this is not a self sharpening pencil. You've got to purchase a separate lip pencil sharpener that accepts the jumbo pencils. I purchased one at Walgreen's (Revlon), for about $6.00. Decent sharpener and it actually sharpened the plastic pencil quite well.

May try other colors. Just curious if anyone else has tried these Jumbo Lip pencils from NYX.

I liked the color and the consistency. But it only lasts about 1 hour on my lips. Not sure if I'll try other colors.
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    I haven't tried those, but I do lean towards more neutral/lighter shades for lip color, if I wear it at all.

also not a fan of sharpeners. maybe it's just me, but grr...never get a good clean sharp pencil/crayon...always jagged or breaks, no matter what sharpener I use. My current one works best, though, from Sephora--also around $6, I believe.
  • Stagemom77
    Options
    Hi everybody - my first post to this group. I'm so glad there are some makeup fanatics here! lol

I used to be more "up" on the newest things that came out, but when the financial crunch came, I had to stop doing that :((
    Now I only get what I "know" will work, or at least has wonderful reviews. I like Mercier, and Chanel best. I know - Chanel is way expensive, but it's just about the best makeup I've ever used. My skin is very oily, even at my age - still! It has been one of my life's quests to find a matching foundation that actually lasts through the day for me. They all melt off in about 3 hours at least. Has anyone got any tips, products for oily skin they like?

I recently ordered a bottle of Guerlain Parure makeup - too expensive. It's really fantastic though, and was rated highly on makeupalley.com. I wish a company in America would make a good foundation for oily skin that actually provides coverage - or maybe I'm just too picky! As for a recent product, I am really loving the Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter. I have the Pink Truffle, Raspberry Pie and Strawberry Shortcake (I think that's the name). They feel SO good on your lips - so moisturizing and pigmented too. A lot of times they will be two for one price on the weekends at Walgreens, or CVS.
  • nolachick
    Options
    Hi everybody - my first post to this group. I'm so glad there are some makeup fanatics here! lol

I used to be more "up" on the newest things that came out, but when the financial crunch came, I had to stop doing that :((
    Now I only get what I "know" will work, or at least has wonderful reviews. I like Mercier, and Chanel best. I know - Chanel is way expensive, but it's just about the best makeup I've ever used. My skin is very oily, even at my age - still! It has been one of my life's quests to find a matching foundation that actually lasts through the day for me. They all melt off in about 3 hours at least. Has anyone got any tips, products for oily skin they like?

I recently ordered a bottle of Guerlain Parure makeup - too expensive. It's really fantastic though, and was rated highly on makeupalley.com. I wish a company in America would make a good foundation for oily skin that actually provides coverage - or maybe I'm just too picky! As for a recent product, I am really loving the Revlon Colorburst Lip Butter. I have the Pink Truffle, Raspberry Pie and Strawberry Shortcake (I think that's the name). They feel SO good on your lips - so moisturizing and pigmented too. A lot of times they will be two for one price on the weekends at Walgreens, or CVS.

i love makeup but have never splurged on chanel and such. i'm slowly making my way up the ranks tho haha.

for foundation....have u tried oil free primers and oil free moisturizers? i have combination skin but i notice a difference in the same foundation when i use different bases as moisturizers/primers.
    example i love the too faced bb cream but I cannot use moisturizer underneath it and I HAVE to top it off with a bronzer/powder to set it or it will wear off by noon.

also i'm not sure how much coverage u need and these might already be discontinued but for when my skin is oily, I love love love the maybelline matte mousse foundation. (comes in a tub, best application is with a sponge). i swear it lasts all day and looks airbrushed if blended out nicely with a sponge. i've gotten so many compliments on it even at sephora ppl asking me what it is and they are so surprised when they find out its a drug store product. :)

let me know if u decide to try it. if nothing else its inexpensive. I have not been able to find any high end foundations I like.
    I also like a matte finish. The closest would probably be Estee Lauder Double wear but I just dont like liquid foundations for some reason.
  • Stagemom77
    Options
    hey Nolachick - I do like the Maybelline matte mousse foundation. I guess the problem is what to wear under it - primers, etc. I always wear sunscreen of some kind - and if it's oily at all, it will break down the makeup. I had been using Shiseido's facial sunscreen and it worked great under makeup - but it's kinda expensive. I started using Coppertone's Sport, "dry" sunscreen instead and it works just o.k. I did recently try a powder from "Mattify!" cosmetics, and it's better than most. I like MAC's blot powder too. I've tried EL's foundation too in the past, but they didn't have a shade that matched my skin. I'll have to check again and see if they've changed their shades.

An ideal item would be a sun block primer that mattifies.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    *sniffle* I have been trying to save money and haven't tried any new products lately. I might accidentally on purpose drop something into my cart while I am out this weekend, though, in the interest of research and reporting back to this group!!