Gestational Diabetes~high fasting levels

Options
smte
smte Posts: 95 Member
I am 22 weeks, 1 day along. I had GD in my 2nd pregnancy and my daughter was just fine. I was able to control it with diet and exercise. This is now my 4th baby and they had me start monitoring my glucose levels early, once a week b/c of my history. Well, that lasted about 6 weeks, and the Dr. didnt like some of my numbers so I am now officially testing 4x/day every day. Last week, my doc decided to put me on medicince b/c my fasting levels were a little high (should be 90 or below, had a few days of 92-93). I was not happy about this and cried. Saturday night I tried the medicine and it was one of the scariest nights for me. Apparently, my sugar levels dropped too low & I woke up hyperventilating, sweating, shaking & light-headed. The next night I tried to make a few changes (making sure to eat a snack w/ the medicine, drink enough water, ect) and made it through the night just fine. Had a doc appt on Monday and told doc I didnt want to take medicine, and aske her to give me a little bit more time to try to control my fasting levels myself. She was totally fine with this. I know it's only been a few days, but 2 of the 3 days, it's still a little high. I am scared to go back on medicine, especially with 17 weeks left. Anyone else have this experience or have any ideas on how to control/lower my morning fasting levels? I have no problems with my levels throughout the day.

Replies

• flipchickmc
    flipchickmc Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I found out I had GD after I failed both my 1hr & 3hr glucose test. This is my 3rd PG and I didn't have GD with my other two.

I also test 4/day every day. But after my 2 week follow-up with the Diabetes Nurse, my numbers were so good that she said I only had to check twice a week. But I've decided to continue to test 4/day anyway just because.

My doc wants me under 95 for my morning fasting numbers and she would allow up to 105 before she showed any concerns. I think the highest reading I got for morning was 101 but I had a huge carb intake for dinner and was 159 after 2 hours the night before. I guess Chinese food doesn't agree with my GD! But for the most part I'm always under 95.

People say a snack with a mix of carbs and protein right before bed will control your sugars throughout the night. I'll have a glass of milk before bed if I'm hungry. Or some suggest milk and half a sandwhich, or nuts with a piece of cheese.

I tend to eat dinner late so I haven't had much for evening snacks.

I really hope you don't have to continue with the meds. I'd be scared too. I think just watch your numbers and try different things to see what works for you.
  • kapzilla
    kapzilla Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes during my second pregnancy, and my fasting sugars is what originally landed me on medication for it. I found the best way to control my fasting sugars was to eat a protein heavy snack right before I went to bed, and to do some simple exercises. It helped a little until my sugars just got too out of control. Mine started being over 100 consistently.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am 26 weeks and just found out that I have GD with this pregnancy did not have it with my 1st child so a little surprised this time around and a little concerned too not sure the effect on the baby or on my kidney. I guess the brightside is it is only until the end of the pregnancy and not forever. I haven't started testing but I believe I have to test first thing in the AM then 1 - 2hr after every meal. So I guess thats 4/day. Have to make an appt for a class to try to control it with diet. I am looking for anyone who has been successful controling this and would be willing to give ideas. My doctor told me this AM that he doesn't mess around if my numbers aren't ideal consistently then he goes straight to insulin which is what I would like to avoid if possible. Also if you have had GD in the past what was your baby size and health like and did you deliver early.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My fasting numbers are low now, and it's due to the bedtime snack. I literally eat something in my bed. Usually a piece of sprouted grain toast with peanut butter, or some cheese, and usually some sugar-free Jello because I like it :)

I notice that my numbers get higher if I sleep in later, so I usually have a bit of (diet) yogurt when I am awake during the night.

This is my first pregnancy. My GD is diet/exercise controlled. I'm 37.5 weeks and baby doesn't measure large. My doctors don't plan to induce me, and have told me to expect a natural delivery.

Good luck with the medication thing, I hope your numbers go down!
  • smte
    Options
    I am 26 weeks and just found out that I have GD with this pregnancy did not have it with my 1st child so a little surprised this time around and a little concerned too not sure the effect on the baby or on my kidney. I guess the brightside is it is only until the end of the pregnancy and not forever. I haven't started testing but I believe I have to test first thing in the AM then 1 - 2hr after every meal. So I guess thats 4/day. Have to make an appt for a class to try to control it with diet. I am looking for anyone who has been successful controling this and would be willing to give ideas. My doctor told me this AM that he doesn't mess around if my numbers aren't ideal consistently then he goes straight to insulin which is what I would like to avoid if possible. Also if you have had GD in the past what was your baby size and health like and did you deliver early.

Sorry to hear that you have GD. This is actually my 3rd pregnancy that I have had it :( Each time I was able to control it all on my own. It hasn't been until now that my morning fasting is a little on the high side, but I've still managed to stay off of medicine. I do have to try to have a snack at night, which will help. For my daughters, they were both born at 39 weeks, scheduled c-sections. My older daughter was 8 lbs 5oz and my youngest was 7 lbs 14 oz...so neither of them were overly large and neither had any issues when they were born (the baby gets tested a couple of times in their first few hours to check their blood sugar levels)

The class is probably a good idea, it will really help you figure things out. Basically, you have to monitor your carbs but it's important to have protein with each meal. And snacks are really important too, & that's where I am struggling! My dietician told me that breakfast & 3 daily snacks could be no more than 30 carbs (each) and lunch & dinner could be 45 carbs each. And make sure you add at least one protein to each meal/snack. Good Luck!
  • smte
    Options
    My fasting numbers are low now, and it's due to the bedtime snack. I literally eat something in my bed. Usually a piece of sprouted grain toast with peanut butter, or some cheese, and usually some sugar-free Jello because I like it :)

I notice that my numbers get higher if I sleep in later, so I usually have a bit of (diet) yogurt when I am awake during the night.

This is my first pregnancy. My GD is diet/exercise controlled. I'm 37.5 weeks and baby doesn't measure large. My doctors don't plan to induce me, and have told me to expect a natural delivery.

Good luck with the medication thing, I hope your numbers go down!
    Good to know about the bedtime snack. I usually get pretty sick after dinner and dont feel like eating a snack before bed, but I know I need to change that! Hearing that your numbers are low b/c of your snack will help get me on track...rather force myself to eat something than have to take medicine!

Good luck with your delivery!
  • ramonici
    Options
    I have GD and I am having a hard time with managing my fasting numbers. I tried waking up earlier in the morning and walking a bit and then taking my blood and it's still high. What snacks do you recommend/suggest at night? That's what I am trying to figure out. My nutritionist wants me to go see an endocrinologist but I pushed it back a few weeks so I can try to figure this out. I don't want insulin shots at night or medication. I want to be able to control it on my own. She didn't even give me time to figure this out. I started Friday afternoon after my class and I reported to her my results yesterday (weds). That wasn't even a week! So I need to figure out what snacks keeps my sugar low for the morning poke. Thank you!