Cute girl in the gym

Options
hey guys, i saw this really cute girl in my gym like a month and a half back. she is really cute. i even said hi to her spoke to her for a very little time. I know i dont like being disturbed while working out so would assume she would think the same. luckily that day we were doing the floor exercises that day. So had an opportunity to talk to her. But I find her really cute and very dedicated to her work outs see her every single day working out. So i dont know if i should talk to her and ask her for coffee. I mean she might have a boyfriend of might not even be interested in me. I saw her looking at me from the corner of her eye :glasses:
But i feel its kinda wrong to ask someone out at the gym. I mean..i dont know..i m very confused..she seems very nice for whatever time i spoke to her. i m so confused.

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Not wrong at all to ask someone out at the gym. When you meet someone in person first, the whole process is streamlined as opposed to online dating.

Does this girl wear headphones/ear pieces? That is a sign of non approachability.

Also, if you get into a conversation with her, ask her if she is single if it isn't obvious. Definitely flirt, and see if she flirts back. But the "Are you single?" question is a good one. Sometimes, we complicate things unnecessarily.

Also, if you are so lucky as to engage her in conversation and she seems interested, DO NOT ask her for coffee. Coffee dates are a waste of your time. Coffee dates are not romantic, and your goal is to up the romance factor. Ask her on some sort of active date (an activity you both enjoy and you'll figure this out through conversation) or a default quiet bar/lounge that is walkable to another attraction.

Make your move. Best wishes!
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Does this girl wear headphones/ear pieces? That is a sign of non approachability.

This is the general rule of thumb.

You've already done the hardest part, which is the initial approach. Make small talk with her again next time you see her at the gym and see if she's up for drinks after work sometime. Definitely opt for drinks instead of coffee or lunch.
  • Ricky1103
    Options
    Thanks guys! this is really boosting my moral up. and i completely agree with you that Coffee dates are waste of time. I will make my move next time when the time is right :) haha! that dint sound right. What i meant was if i see her having some time on her hand and hopefully not surrounded by people, i will ask her for sure. I hope she agrees. Its been so long i met a girl who seems nice. last girl i dated for a long time was almost two and a half year back and it was a disaster. lets see..how does she respond to my offer..
    Thanks mike..yea dinner seems like a better option as you know that the other person doesnt have to rush anywhere and you can talk in peace. lets see how does this work out..
  • jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Options
    Well, I really wish the guy I think is cute at the gym would just ask me out for coffee- I would say go for it... unless she looks like she doesnt want to be disturbed. then for the love of all things leave her alone. I think a girl really doesnt like being disturbed when she is in the middle of a session. Try to catch her at the water fountain when she is taking a quick break or when she is cooling down. Timing is everything! :wink:
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Not wrong at all to ask someone out at the gym. When you meet someone in person first, the whole process is streamlined as opposed to online dating.

Also, if you get into a conversation with her, ask her if she is single if it isn't obvious. Definitely flirt, and see if she flirts back. But the "Are you single?" question is a good one. Sometimes, we complicate things unnecessarily.

Also, if you are so lucky as to engage her in conversation and she seems interested, DO NOT ask her for coffee. Coffee dates are a waste of your time. Coffee dates are not romantic, and your goal is to up the romance factor. Ask her on some sort of active date (an activity you both enjoy and you'll figure this out through conversation) or a default quiet bar/lounge that is walkable to another attraction.

^This exactly!

Coffee dates are great for a first meet with a total stranger you've only "met" electronically. You've already met in person and both go to the same gym (something in common), so it's not meeting cold for the first time. I like the idea of drinks or dinner - something in the evening, but to me, dinner is definitely a better option if you want to make sure you have time to talk.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Well, I really wish the guy I think is cute at the gym would just ask me out for coffee-

Wait a minute, OP. Is this the cute girl you were talking about??? Perhaps this is going to be easier than you thought!

--P
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

I don't agree with this at all unless they are weight lifting and look intense. 90% of people doing cardio are going to listen to headphones when they are working out. I wear headphones at the gym but will stop and take them out to talk to people and people will still talk to me when I have them in. This is 2012 it isn't 1990 when not as many people used them. If she has her headphones in wave, say hi, if she doesn't take her headphones out she either A) didn't see you or B) doesn't want to talk to you, but if she does take them out that is a good sign she is interested.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options

I don't agree with this at all unless they are weight lifting and look intense. 90% of people doing cardio are going to listen to headphones when they are working out. I wear headphones at the gym but will stop and take them out to talk to people and people will still talk to me when I have them in. This is 2012 it isn't 1990 when not as many people used them. If she has her headphones in wave, say hi, if she doesn't take her headphones out she either A) didn't see you or B) doesn't want to talk to you, but if she does take them out that is a good sign she is interested.

I agree! I someone comes up to me I will definitely take out my headphones!

I say it's fine to ask a girl from the gym out but I would get to know her first so she doesn't think that you just asked her out because of her looks.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

I agree! I someone comes up to me I will definitely take out my headphones!

I say it's fine to ask a girl from the gym out but I would get to know her first so she doesn't think that you just asked her out because of her looks.

This

No woman wants to only be admired for her looks. Talk to her a few more times then ask her out. She'll appreciate you getting to know her first.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Wait until the headphones are out to talk to her, just to be safe. I get annoyed when people talk to me when mine are in. I see their lips moving but can't hear a damn thing. If I am done working out, it's not as irritating.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Just ask her, what have you got to lose? Even if she says no or has a boyfriend it's better than wondering about it for the next few weeks.

Also, we can argue about this all day but there is nothing wrong with a coffee date. Sure, I like to get drinks for a typical first date because I loosen up after a couple beers. But there are many reasons why coffee dates are good. Some people don't drink, some people aren't available at night, some people have a life, if you have a good time it's because you like the person you're with and not because of the alcohol, bars are loud and annoying, some coffee shops are quiet and laid back, dinner is expensive for a first date, you can get coffee and then go for a walk, get ice cream or somehow extend the date and make it more romantic, if you need food or alcohol to stimulate romantic attraction then you're doing it wrong.
  • jcomley1
    Options
    Well, I really wish the guy I think is cute at the gym would just ask me out for coffee-

Wait a minute, OP. Is this the cute girl you were talking about??? Perhaps this is going to be easier than you thought!

--P

hhahahhahah I wish. You know how long its been since anyone took me out on a date?? hmneh.. some guys just lack courage. freak out! i dont bite. Or maybe I am just really unattractive. :ohwell:

But seriously, whats the worst thing that could happen? dont be scared of getting turned down. there are very very few girls who look to be mean and embarrass a guy who goes out on a limb to ask you out. Just suss out her body language and enter into a casual chat and voila!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

--P

hhahahhahah I wish. You know how long its been since anyone took me out on a date?? hmneh.. some guys just lack courage. freak out! i dont bite. Or maybe I am just really unattractive. :ohwell:

But seriously, whats the worst thing that could happen? dont be scared of getting turned down. there are very very few girls who look to be mean and embarrass a guy who goes out on a limb to ask you out. Just suss out her body language and enter into a casual chat and voila!

Well, since you have the stats of a Super model and are very beautiful, I'm thinking guys are just idiots. I'm a tall girl myself (5'11) and I find men are a tad bit intimidated by me. The guy I'm seeing now admits I still intimidate him but he LOVES that. It keeps him on his toes and I challenge him to be better. I didn't date much at your age (or really did much my whole life). I've always thought men just felt that I was too tall or not attractive enough. That is so not your case. You just need to meet the right man and he'll love everything about you...Good luck!
  • jcomley1
    Options

--P

Well, since you have the stats of a Super model and are very beautiful, I'm thinking guys are just idiots. I'm a tall girl myself (5'11) and I find men are a tad bit intimidated by me. The guy I'm seeing now admits I still intimidate him but he LOVES that. It keeps him on his toes and I challenge him to be better. I didn't date much at your age (or really did much my whole life). I've always thought men just felt that I was too tall or not attractive enough. That is so not your case. You just need to meet the right man and he'll love everything about you...Good luck!

Ah you are so lovely! thank you ! you have made my week! :flowerforyou: I am holding out hope for someone special!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

This

No woman wants to only be admired for her looks. Talk to her a few more times then ask her out. She'll appreciate you getting to know her first.

While most of us wish that guys would ask us out because of our awesome personalities... isn't it MORE often true that usually a man is asking us out based on looks?
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    While most of us wish that guys would ask us out because of our awesome personalities... isn't it MORE often true that usually a man is asking us out based on looks?

Pretty much.
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    hey guys, i saw this really cute girl in my gym like a month and a half back. she is really cute. i even said hi to her spoke to her for a very little time. I know i dont like being disturbed while working out so would assume she would think the same. luckily that day we were doing the floor exercises that day. So had an opportunity to talk to her. But I find her really cute and very dedicated to her work outs see her every single day working out. So i dont know if i should talk to her and ask her for coffee. I mean she might have a boyfriend of might not even be interested in me. I saw her looking at me from the corner of her eye :glasses:
    But i feel its kinda wrong to ask someone out at the gym. I mean..i dont know..i m very confused..she seems very nice for whatever time i spoke to her. i m so confused.

Pull your nuts up son and talk to her, you don't wanna be sitting around 10 years around thinking about the girl from the gym.

A good move for the gym would be to follow her visually and when she exits the gym follow her out and ask ll she can do is say no .
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

Pretty much.

Ask them out for their looks... dump them for their personalities... jk
  • sportytalldoll
    sportytalldoll Posts: 208 Member
    Options

^^^^^^ *Smart Man* ....like he said, dont make it complicated, it's not.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think you should try and get to know her a bit more. During the chit chat over the next few days, you will become more confident to ask her if she's single or if she has a b/f. You could even flower it and say "oh, doesnt your b/f work out with you?". Just keep it friendly for a bit...........

On the few occasions that a strange guy has come up to me and asked me out I've got very nervous and made up some excuse as to why I shouldnt!! This may just be me and my shyness or lack of confidence or me not trusting a guys motives when he is that bold, I dont really know. But every time I've been tongue tied and said no. And mostly have regretted it after as I did think the guy was cute! :noway:

I would prefer to get to know your personality a bit first, before I agree to a date. Not saying all women are like me and that the protocol is different in America. Just saying.....

Good luck :flowerforyou: