New to group

Options
Hi ladies! I am a 30 year old mom of two beautiful girls - 4 years and 11 weeks old. I have yo-yoed my entire adult life with my weight and after gaining over 50 pounds with my pregnancy I am almost at my heaviest again :( I work full time at a blood bank in addition to caring for my girls. I just started the Rockin' Body workouts this week and I love them. This time I WILL make myself a priority and get healthy!!

I am looking for support and encouragement if any of you want to be my friend :flowerforyou:

Replies

• momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    welcome! I am a nursing student and a mom of 2. A 19 mo girl and a 4 mo boy.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for adding me Neeko!

My kids are 15 months and 3 now, but each time it took me about a year to lose the weight. I put on loads with my daughter (my youngest). I'm still overweight though, but probably need to lose about 20lbs, maybe less, to be a US size 8, which is what I want to be.

I'm English, and I work part time as a secondary school teacher, so luckily for me my job involves being on my feet all the time, and I can't eat while I teach! It's Summer holidays at the moment so it's pretty full-on with my kids, going out all the time, lots of walking and playing.

I can't believe you're back at work full time and have an 11 week old? I had a year off for maternity leave!

I have a personal trainer who i usually see twice a week, plus I go to the gym on my own too.
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately here in the US we don't get much of a maternity break. Standard is 6 weeks for a normal vaginal delivery and 8 weeks for a c-section. If you have worked full time for at least a year at your current job (and you don't work for a company with less than 50 employees - they get an exemption) then you are supposed to be able to take up to 12 weeks (unpaid of course) and your company has to hold your job for you. You have to use your vacation/sick time if you need to be paid while you're off. Yeah, it sucks! I considered myself lucky that I had enough time built up to take 9 weeks of leave and come back part time for 2 weeks after that. :(
  • NeekoM03
    NeekoM03 Posts: 27
    Options

I can't believe you're back at work full time and have an 11 week old? I had a year off for maternity leave!

I actually don't go back until next Monday. She will just have turned 12 weeks and that is the maximum amount of time we are allowed. We definitely do not get enough time off here in the US. It is so hard to leave when they are still so little. And I feel like we are just finally starting to get into some sort of routine!
  • rwolfenden
    rwolfenden Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Neeko-
    Feel free to add me. I recently returned to work full time after having my boy in April, so I have a pretty good idea of what you're going through :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    We can have a year off in the UK, but obviously not all paid. It depends where you work on how much maternity pay you get. I teach in a state secondary school, and we get 4 weeks full pay, 2 weeks 90 %, then 12 weeks 50% plus SMP (statutory maternity pay) which is about £520 a month, and then the remainder up to 39 weeks you get just SMP, and then nothing. Some private companies pay full pay for 6 months.

I'm lucky with the job I do as I get 13 weeks holiday a year - 6 weeks for Summer, 2 weeks at xmas, 2 at Easter, and we have a week off in Oct, a week off in Feb and a week off at the end of May.

Child care here is stupidly expensive though. I work 3 days a week, have 2 children in nursery for those days, and it was costing £779 a month. Not sure what the pound - dollar exchange rate is. When children are 3 they get 15 free hours at nursery. It kicks in the term after they're 3, so in Sept childcare will cost less as my son was 3 in June. Then he'll start school in Sept 2013, when he's 4 and a bit.