Week 4 - 8/20-8/26

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
Welcome to Week 4 of the Couch to 5K! You're well on your way to running a 5K, so this week, let's kick it up a notch and beat our previous record of 3minutes of jogging. This week, you'll keep those 3 minute intervals but add a few 5minute ones. It may sound intimidating, but you have been slowly building up your endurance - you're ready for this!

This week, the workout is:

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)

When we finish this week, we're almost to the half-way point! Next week is a big week, so do your due diligence this week - you'll thank yourself for it next week!

Replies

• carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Week 4 Day 3 complete! Starting Week 5 on Tuesday.
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    WOOHOO!!! Week 8 complete! I cannot describe how happy and proud I am of myself today! I ran 3.1 miles in 35 minutes! I really pushed myself today because I wanted to be sure I ran the whole 5k in the allotted time, and I did! Before this program, I hadn't done any running in 20 years. ( I am 42). It is never too late to get yourself moving!
  • triskele
    triskele Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Completed W4D1 yesterday. I was so proud to get through the first 5min run, but just ran out of steam at the last 5 min run and ended up walking some of it. Looking forward to trying again tomorrow. I feel like the little engine that could (I think I can, I think I can...)

When I got to the walking portion immediately following the first 5 min run, I past an older lady on the track who said something that sounded like concern. I assured her I was okay (I can only imagine what I looked like!) and was just catching my breath. She suggested chewing gum. Is this a thing? Does anyone else chew gum while running to keep your breathing steady? I'd be worried about choking. Just curious...
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Repeating Week 3 this week after a rocky week (vacation, missed runs, etc) last week.
  • ktb1962
    ktb1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Week 4/Day 1 complete! I was surprised at how well and easy it was today. I am hopeful that the trend will continue with the run on Wednesday.

Happy running everyone! You are all doing so well :)
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    I did Week 4 Day 1 yesterday and struggled. So I am going to repeat Week 3 and hopefully do better next week.
  • carolemack
    Options
    WOOHOO!!! Week 8 complete! I cannot describe how happy and proud I am of myself today! I ran 3.1 miles in 35 minutes! I really pushed myself today because I wanted to be sure I ran the whole 5k in the allotted time, and I did! Before this program, I hadn't done any running in 20 years. ( I am 42). It is never too late to get yourself moving!

FANTASTIC! WTG! I think that is a great time...by the way, what is the allotted time? I didn't realize that there was an allotted time.
  • ladasade
    ladasade Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Finished W4D1 this morning. Shin splints are totally gone, keeping my fingers crossed that they don't return.
  • LoNCole
    LoNCole Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    W4d1 done this morning. Glad to have it behind me and glad to know I can do it. I hope it makes Wednesday's run easier.
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Attempted week 4 yesterday.... Did not make it. Think I need to repeat week 3. I added in the 30 day shred and its making the jogging portion really hard!!
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I did week 4 day 1 this morning. That last 5 minute run was hard, and now 3 minutes feels like nothing. I have to admit, I felt pretty beat by the time I got to the cool down.
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I also did Wk4 Day1 this morning and thought it would be impossible. How do you go from 90 seconds and then 3 minutes to 3 minutes and then 5 minutes? But I did it , I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with myself. I really feel confident in this running project of mine. Love it!
  • funylady
    funylady Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started week 4 this morning. I struggled through the first 5 minute run and at the very end of the second 5 minute run but I made it through without stopping. I definitely had to push myself.
    I will stick with week 4 but might repeat. Lets see how the rest of the week goes. After cooling down I feel good but man, I was pretty worn out when I first got home.
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I'm just starting week 8 - but i can tell you this: somehow I'm addicted now.

For all of you out there - I started back in beginning of May and it took me this long to get through week 7, not count seconds, and start to enjoy the jogging. The time was going by fast rather than counting the seconds.

Its been about 10 years since I've been able to jog 30 minutes straight. I am much slower than I want to be (131/2 minutes miles now) but now I'm working on speed. I would love to get to an 11 -12 minute mile before the end of year. Shaving time off my speed, however, makes it harder to complete the distance - - oh well......I can now have another goal to reach by end of year.
  • carolemack
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 completed today.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Got up super early and knocked my Week 4 Day 1 out today! I was so nervous for some reason for the intensity jump that I slowed down to a 13 minute mile - but except for the last minute or two I really didn't struggle at all! Hopefully I can pick the pace up a bit more on Friday but wow, I am super happy with my progress =) Hard to believe I've made it to week 4!
  • LoNCole
    LoNCole Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would love a 13 min mile! That's great. W4d2 went much better than the first day. I am glad I amm sticking with it. Somedays I feel like it's the only thing keeping me sane! Great job everyone!
  • ktb1962
    ktb1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    W4/D2 completed. It was cooler and less humid this morning (as well as Monday) and I do believe that is making a big difference in a positive way. I made it through again with little trouble. Some of what I have noticed is when I either focus on the music or daydream about something else and not pay attention to breathing or time, I end up having a much easier time. I think it's a combination of the cooler/dryer temps and that. In any case, I am pleased and looking forward to Day 3.

Hope everyone has great runs and a great day!
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Attempted week 3 again today, after failing week 4 Monday. Still ended up walking the last part of the jog. Isy have to switch to speed walking instead of jogging as I am really struggling with jogging and doing the shred.
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

FANTASTIC! WTG! I think that is a great time...by the way, what is the allotted time? I didn't realize that there was an allotted time.
    [/quote]

On the program I am using, I increase my run based on time, not distance. So the last day of the program is a 35 minute run. I wanted to make the full 5k in that time.