New Here... And new to PCOS

Options
Caryn03
Caryn03 Posts: 62 Member
Hi Everyone!

I am new to MFP and learning the ropes and all the different things I could do on this site. If you have any tricks or something that helps or motivates you I am all for learning about it. Since I am new and this is my first post I figured I would give you some background about me.

I am 27 and married for 4 years now with no kids. My husband and I have been TTC for over 3 years. 2 1/2 years ago we actually were pregnant. I was about 8-9 weeks and ended up having a miscarriage. Was probably the hardest thing that we went thru. Especially since no one else knew at all. I want to surprise our parents and family so we didn't tell anyone that we were trying or anything like that. We have been still trying ever since. After about two years we went to the doctor to start seeing what was going on. After some test and talks with the infertility doctor it turns out that I have PCOS. When they first told me I was like what in the world is that (scared me). After they told me I have PCOS I came home a did some research so I can make myself more aware of what this is and what it means.
So, now that we have more informaiton of what is going on with me we are working with our doc to help me ovulate and help us get prego. We are on third round of Ponetrium to get my cycle to start. As soon as it does I will be starting my second round of Clomid. The first round of Clomid didn't work, I wasn't ready for the "trigger" shot to ovulate.

That is where I am now with our progress. We have since told two of our really good friends, we still haven't told our parents. So, they have no idea what we are going thru. I feel bad that they don't know and if something happens like another MC (pray to god that doesn't happen) we will tell them then.

I think it's time for me to get serious about my weight and really take control of it. I am tired of eating and feeling guilty after I shouldn't have eaten something. I am going to start and try to run. And I am going to try to start working out more. I really want a family and I want to be healthy for our family. I want to have a healthy pregnancy as well. I have about 90 lbs to lose to be able to get to where I want to be and healthy. Any advice, comments, suggestions, encouragment, anything at all to help me I am always up for. I still am learning about PCOS so I am always eager to learn more about that as well.

Thank you all for reading and I hope to have great success!

Replies

• sunny_smile5
    sunny_smile5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome.

Well, I would like to share my story with you. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago, but my symptoms were not severe. At that time, I was severely overweight at my highest weight of 163 lbs. on a 4'11" frame. My husband and I were TTC and were having difficulty due to my irregular periods as a result of my tremendous weight gain over the course of 1 year (I had healthy, regular periods before that). My doctor ran some tests and determined that I also had PCOS, most likely brought on by weight gain. For those of you who said it's genetic, I'm not so sure because no one in my family has ever had it nor had any problems with conceiving or experienced difficulties with their pregnancies. I attributed my PCOS to my depression and stress that led to fluctuations of rapid weight loss and weight gain during my college years. My periods only became irregular after I had graduated college, so I'm certain that it was during all those years of hormonal irregularities and fluctuations that caused me to develop PCOS. However, being that my symptoms were minimal, with a controlled carb insulin resistance meal plan prescribed by my doctor and nutritionist -- no medicine whatsoever -- I was able to lose 30 lbs. during that time period without any exercise..I did just the meal plan alone and able to conceive and have a healthy pregnancy 1 year after my PCOS diagnosis.

I have since gained back some weight, but working on losing it again. I've read that PCOS is reversible. I don't want my PCOS symptoms to return thus one reason I am working so hard to lose weight again. Also, we are TCC again. I will not let PCOS make me wait another 3 years to conceive just because I am overweight.

Anyway, if you are trying to learn more about PCOS, I recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Patients-Guide-PCOS-Understanding---Reversing--Polycystic/dp/0805078282/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344964123&sr=8-2&keywords=pcos

and definitely try this:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Insulin-Resistance-Diet--Revised-Updated-Fat-Making/dp/0071499849/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1344964123&sr=8-6&keywords=pcos
  • pcoscapricorn
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the group. I was diagnosed with pcos at the age of 15. I was so young. Anyways, if you every need a friend to talk to or just a support buddy, visit my profile page and send me a friend request. I have some insight and experience with dealing with this thing. let me know.
  • Caryn03
    Options
    Thank you Sunny Smile for the information that you have provided. I am eager and interested to learn more. And I am ready to take this head on and not let this PCOS control me and what I want to do with my life. I believe this is the first step to fixing it... So, I am going to do my best to lose weight.
    Thank you pcoscapricorn! Looking forward to using you as one of my support buddies too :smile: .

I can't wait to learn more and hopefully this next round for me is a go and good.

Good luck to you both and lots of baby dust and good thoughts! Excited to start this journey!
  • speechsteff
    speechsteff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Would love to add you as a friend....I've been on Metformin for 15 years and have conceived twice. I would love to support you!
  • speechsteff
    speechsteff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I found that a combo of metformin and birth control helped me to conceive. It was easiest to conceive the month right after I stopped the pill. I continued with the metformin through the first trimester.
  • Caryn03
    Options
    I am not familiar with Metformin. What is it?
  • pinkladybuug
    Options
    Hi!

I'm new here too, I found out I had PCOS in Nov 2009. My husband and I had been trying to conceive for about a year before I found out. I had cysts bursting throughout my early 20's but had no idea that's what it was. I went through many months of testing and ultrasounds and was put on Metformin in Feb 2010. We stopped trying to conceive because we were told there was a very good chance we would not be able to. I ended up conceiving my son in May 2010, just a few months after starting Metformin. My ob/gyn told me that the Metformin helped balance my hormones and made me spontaneously ovulate.

I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. I've been on it since (was taken off during pregnancy and ended up with ZERO breastmilk after he was born... but that's another story) and I haven't had any cysts burst since 2009.

Feel free to add me, I'm new to MFP and am looking for some PCOS buddies who know how difficult it can be for us to lose weight.

Jenny :)