Options
Pan-Fried Mochi
Adapted from The Kind Life, by Alicia Silverstone
Ingredients:
1-2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 package unflavored mochi, cut into 1"x 2" rectangles
Soy sauce

Directions:
Heat the oil in a cast-iron or stainless steel frying pan over medium heat. Place the mochi pieces into the pan, making sure they don't touch. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for exactly 4 minutes. Flip the mochi, add about 2 drops of soy sauce to each piece, cover, and let cook for another 4 minutes. The mochi should begin to get gooey and puff up a little. It will be deliciously crisp on the outside and sticky on the inside. Don't be alarmed if they morph into funny shapes--that happens sometimes.
Serve in a quarter sheet of nori, with some grated daikon (I didn't use daikon as had none, so just served with steamed bok choi and balsamic vinegar)

Replies

• Livinglifebetter
    Livinglifebetter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ok, i have never heard of any of these ingredients... How long have you been trying to go vegan? what does a typical day of eating look like for you?
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I went vegan this time last year and bought Alicia Silverstone's book for ideas, but also looked on a lot of websites
    Typical day

Breakfast, scrambled tofu on a piece of toast

Lunch, home made sushi made with brown rice, sliced vegetables, nori sheets, wasabi paste and shoyu.

dinner, some vegetable concoction, ratatouille or a variation with tofu or beans, Or a big salad with hummus.

I didn't know what mochi was until today, but found it in a natural food store, and it is gorgeous!

Tofu i love, you can do so much with it and get so many different varieties.
  • Livinglifebetter
    Livinglifebetter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    cool, thanks! I haven't started yet and kind of worried I'll give up quickly. Why did you decide to go vegan?
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Last summer! I had broken my ankle, gained loads of weight, and my vegan friend was round and we were just discussing why she became vegan. I don't care for meat and dairy, why not try vegan. Have a had a few blips along the way, but I'm never going to be one who gets it perfect straight away.