How is everyone doing?

Options
ginib
ginib Posts: 62 Member
This group is pretty quiet. Let's stir up some conversation to keep us motivated!

I have been watching my carbs for a while and just came across the Carb Cycling Solution. Bought the book over the weekend and realize I need to plan my meals better to stay within the calorie limits. That's okay. This is all about learning a new way of life. I had WLS 10 years ago and lost over 100 lbs. With slight fluctuations, I've kept it off, but never really made it to goal. My aim is to make it to that goal by my 10 year anniversary date, Sept. 12.

Through various diets over the last few years, I realize I do not want to give up carbs totally, so this plan seems perfect. The every other day approach makes sense to me. I would love to hear more about your successes with this program as well as some of your trials.

Do any of you use the digestive enzymes Chris suggests? If so what kind? I haven't looked into them yet.

What are your challenges with Choose to Lose?

Mine:
Eating within 30 minutes of waking. Takes me longer than that to get up, dressed and downstairs!
Obviously I am not a morning person. Not sure exercising in the morning will work for me. I do Zumba a couple of nights a week and am working on walking and stairs. Everything I do at work involves stairs so that's good.
Planning my meals. I thought I brought good choices with me to work today, but when I actually went to log them in, I found my calories are going to be high.

What is considered low carb? Cottage cheese, yogurt, some veggies all have carbs. Is low under 100?

Please share what you are doing to make this program successful for you. Or post your challenges and maybe we can share how we have handled a similar situation.

Have a great day!
Gini

Replies

• Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My challenges with this program is 3 hours. I have two kids and sometimes it just doesn't fit it to what they need or do. this week i am on vacation and finding food in general difficult. However I was able to hit the fitness room today. What I do is eat a lot of grilled chicken usually 2-3 ounces at meal. Usually at home at least, I tend to have a harder time getting the carbs in when before this plan that was all I ate. I often find that I am actually below my caloric intake. Also the eating within 30 of waking, that was not me either, I have never been able to eat for at least 3 hours after I wake up. All I wanted was coffee. Now I just do the protein shake and I am good to go.

I think once you get into the plan you will like it alot! Good luck!
  • goodlife1206
    goodlife1206 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like you have lived mostly low carb, with some times I went off. I lost 55 pounds almost two years ago on a controlled plan. I gained back about 25# as it is really hard for me to eat that way all the time. I missed fruits and some bread. This plan with some higher carb days is working well.

I stay around 90-100 carbs on low carb days and 1,200 calories. Highter carb days I stay within 1,500 calories. I do quite a bit of exercise and use some of those calories that are added back in to my daily plan.

I eat a little carb and protein very early before my 5 am exercise class. It is a strenous circuit class and if I don't eat a little, I get nauseated. Half a banana and some peanuts. Then I have my breakfast after I come home and get ready for work.

I do think planning ahead is one of the behaviors that help success. If you don't have what you need to eat, you will eat what you have! Not a good plan.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I have more energy when I follow the program.

The things I find challenging are:

The shapers in the morning and exercising in the morning in general. I tend to exercise at no specific time of day it's when I can exercise, I have days where I have 2 fitness classes on the same day, another where I spin and others where I try to stay active either by being out doors or at the gym.

Another challenge for me is finding carbs with low fat content other than veggies, lately I have been struggling with that while I was at a festival over the whole weekend. Yes I brought healthier stuff than what was there but caved in a couple times and then today with mcdonald's just due to the fact I couldn't get my butt out of bed to get my meals done.

I know my boyfriend wants to follow it and he's trying to watch when I am on a low carb day not to eat the carbs in front of me but he doesn't always remember. I can't wait till he actually reads the book and starts following it with me.

Money has also been tight so it's been hard to buy healthier food from the grocery store I get paid on Wed so that should help, oh and my BF just had a bday and he wants to lose weight so that should be easier.

I love this program it has it's tough days but ultimately if I just have things planned it works amazingly well. I love the fact that he gives us the list of foods and then we can figure out what to make or do. No dull day unless you want it that way.
    This is definitely a lifestyle change and I can't wait to reach my goal (hopefully sooner rather than later).
  • ginib
    Options
    So today is a high carb day and I'm starving. Well not really, but I THINK I'm hungry. Just went upstairs and got some more water. Going out with some friends after quilt guild tonight. Doesn't really fit into my 5 meal 3 hour plan so I'm not sure what I'll do. I realize that I'm actually used to eating six meals a day. After my WLS I could only eat small amounts at a time and I have continued to do that over the years. This plan does not really allow for that late night snack. I had a protein drink last night, but in hindsight, I shouldn't have. Just a habit I need to work on breaking. It can be done. 21 days right?

Sounds like we're all dealing with our challenges. Didn't get my 10,000 steps in yesterday and won't today either. Going to pick up a bicycle from my son over the weekend.Need to keep up on the exercise.

I brought hommus and celery as part of my lunch today and then realized the fat content. Wasn't really a problem when I realized how little hommus you need to flavor the celery.

Sugarbeans - I hear you about the money. I lost my job a while back and have been doing some contract work, but the money is just not there. So I am eating my way through my well stocked cupboards, trying to make the best choices possible.

Gini
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that if you are used to 6 small meals than go for it. The key is to eat every 3 hours and if you are having a late night you can fit in that 6th meal. (try not to eat 3-4hrs before bed)

I feel guilty about not following Chris's program to a tee but at the same time I also know that if I were to follow it exactly I'd go crazy or "beat myself up" because I didn't do it properly. I am trying to follow it the best I can and I hope that once my man is on board it will be easier to do it as it says. I know what I'm doing right now will not give me the best results as possible, but I just don't want to give up on the program.

This program is challenging and hopefully it will be easier in the upcoming months.
  • Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I hear you both on the money thing. I too lost my job back in April. I buy A LOT of chicken when I can get it on sale. I also eat (when not on vacation ofcourse so don't look at my diet log for the last couple of days:)) baby carrots, cucumbers and apples. I will say I have been astonished at how much apples are! I also found that the liquid egg whites from walmart are cheaper than buying eggs and disposing of the yolk. Just a few things I have learned along the way if it helps anyone else.
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting to check the group list for posts. :frown: I wish there was a way to "subscribe" and be notified when someone posts in the group!

I am very excited about the idea of continuing to have carbs, just in lower quantities and on alternating days. I also like the idea of the "Free" Day. I am trying not to call it "cheat" day because that makes it sound like I'm being sneaky & bad. I don't see anything wrong with treating yourself occasionally, and I'm glad that Chris built that into the CTL program. Nothing is forbidden. It helps me to moderate my desires and still manage to stay within my daily caloric & nutrient goals: low carb days- 1200 cals, 20% carbs, 40% protein & 40% fat, high carb/free day goals- 1500/1800 cals, 40& carbs, 30% protein & 30% fat.

My biggest challenges:
    (1) Breakfast. I'm not a morning person, and (except for the rare occasion) I do not eat breakfast. I have compromised by having a protein shake in the early morning and having a "breakfast" of sorts for my morning snack.
    (2) Getting motivated to work out. I've never been one to exercise. Ever. Not even back in the day when I really was thin and thought I was fat. This past week, I came across a handful of programs that allow you to ease in VERY gently and gradually increase in intensity over a period of WEEKS. It's just what I needed because if I feel like I'm going to die in the middle of a workout, you can rest assured that I will NOT do it again.
    (3) Eating every three hours. I'm working on this, and I've set an alarm on my phone to go off to help me remember.
    (4) Not eating too close to bedtime. I'm trying, but it seems I find myself finishing dinner after 8pm, and I *try* to get to bed at 10.
    (5) Getting in enough calories. Easy-peasy if I gobble up a BigMac. Not so much if I'm eating right. Some days I've gotten to dinner, been so full the thought of eating again brought tears to my eyes & realized I still had 400-500 calories yet to eat to reach my minimum for the day. :sad:

Things that I find helpful:
    (1) Prepare your food ahead of time. Wash, cut & portion your fruits and veggies into servings and store them in baggies. (I buy the cheapest baggies I can find!) You can even do this with your lunch meats & a kitchen scale! I'm home during the day, so I just measure my meat out as I make my lettuce wraps (low carb day) or sandwich (high carb day). If you buy yogurt or cottage cheese in the more economical tub, measure out your servings into little tupperware containers. (Again, I buy the cheapest ones I can find!)
    (2) Plan your daily meals & snacks ahead of time. By the time I go to bed at night, I already know everything I'm going to eat the next day. This allows me to decide what I really want, see how it's going to impact my daily numbers & make adjustments so that I can have what I want and still be within my goals. Also, if there's a last minute change, I can have an idea of how it's going to affect me and can more quickly make the necessary adjustments.
    (3) Eat what you love. I'm retraining my palette to truly enjoy the taste of healthy alternatives to foods I love. I've started to realize that many foods I used to eat frequently I don't miss at all. If I really want something, I find a way to turn it into a healthy option, or I save it for my Free Day!

Best of luck to you on this phase of your journey to wellness! :flowerforyou:
  • luis1984
    luis1984 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I would like to say that there really isnt a proper excuse to say I can't work out, ihave a lot to do, or I cant cook. I am probably the bussiest person there is literally. I am a single dad of a three year old with a full time job, I am also a full time graduate sudent, I cook my meals ahead every day, follow the program to the smallest detail. I work out six days a week ater work, and three times a week the weight lifting first thing in the morning. You must eat breakfast, not three hours after you wake up one hour tops. It is very importnt to have breakfast, studies have shown that people who eat a hearty breakfast eat a lot less calories the rest of the day, coffee is not breakfast, you mus have a protein and a carb every singleday whether is your HC or LC day and eat within three hours of breakfast.

You arent motivated to work out? then think of your results, you shouldnt look at working out as a punishments or anything bad, working out keeps your body function, it gives yo tons of energy and most important challenge youself everytime you work out , if you do not increase your capacity you will not see results. I have lost 11lbs and I am about to start week 7. I believe if I was to get rid of the cheat day I would lose even more but we all need a break from cooking and that.
  • Sweetpea472
    Options
    Have a great day!
    Gini

Just curious... is your name pronounced Jenny or Jeannie? :wink:
  • ginib
    Options
    Gin - e It's actually Virginia.

I too am having trouble with eating every three hours. It doesn't fit into the work day very well.

I had a wedding and birthday party for my grandchildren over the weekend, so it more like two free days. Back on track this morning though and I rode my exercise bike 10 miles last night while watching Extreme Makeover weightloss to try to counter balance the weekend.

Sweetpea472 - I hate to exercise as well. Having been overweight all my life, I was never into sports or anything very physical. I started doing Zumba the first of the year and I love it. I've had to go lower impact, but it doesn't feel like exercise. It's fun! I'm going to buy my DIL's old bike so I can ride outside in the good weather.

I have the opposite problem - I get too many calories. But I think it's because I hadn't bought the right foods. Hope fully this week will be better. I have always considered string a protein and it was a free food for me to get in enough protein. Chris counts it as a fat so I can't use that on my high days anymore. Still learning the system!

Hope your week is off to a good start all!
    Gini
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Eating every 3 hours has really helped me cut down on the snacking. The change is so dramatic for me! I work from home and used to constantly be rooting around in the kitchen for some snacks..but not any more!
    So I am finding that with my high carb days I am STARVING! Literally, stomach growling...right around the 2.5 hour mark.
    Today is my low carb day and I haven't felt one hunger pain. Not hungry at all but I am still eating every 3 hours.
    I am wondering why this is and what I can do during the high carb days to help it.
  • Sweetpea472
    Options
    Gin - e It's actually Virginia.

Gotcha! :happy:
    I am finding that with my high carb days I am STARVING! Literally, stomach growling...right around the 2.5 hour mark.
    Today is my low carb day and I haven't felt one hunger pain. Not hungry at all but I am still eating every 3 hours.
    I am wondering why this is and what I can do during the high carb days to help it.

I wonder if having more protein & fat on the LC days are keeping you satisfied longer? I tend to eat tuna (canned) or some other fish (I buy frozen bags from Sam's Club) on my HC days to get in my protein without a lot of fat. It seems to work well for me; maybe it would help you?
  • summergrl17
    summergrl17 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Love this plan. Really feel that it's something I can stick with for my lifetime and finally reach my weight loss goals! I've been trying for 25 years - really! I love the alternating low and high carb days. I find it pretty easy to stick to. I can give up carbs for one day at a time. What absolutely makes this so doable for my lifetime is the free day - I can deny myself for 6 days when I know that on Sunday I can have that food that I am craving.

What I struggle with is figuring out what to eat on the low carb days and packing 3 meals for the day. I eat breakfast and dinner at home, the rest I eat at work. I'm getting better at it but at first it seems like it took me so long to pack it up in the morning before work. I also have a hard time eating every 3 hours but I do the best I can. I work and some days are just more hectic than others - life happens and I just do the best I can on those days.

I'm still not getting my shredders done either...I do my shapers very consistently and have become stronger and lost inches in my waist, hips and thighs - they kick my butt! I think when I lose 10 more pounds, I'll have more energy to shred those shredders.

BTW, here is Chris Powell's Smart Food List - I have it on my fridge:

http://chrispowell.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ChrisPowell_SmartFoodsList.pdf

So glad to have found this group. MFP has been the other part of my success!
  • ginib
    Options
    So how many carbs do you eat on a high carb day? I think I'm going overboard.

summergrl - Thanks for posting the Smart Foods Guide. It's nice to have the quick reference. I think I'll take it to the grocery with me tonight. Some of my choices the past week have probably not been the best, for ex. cream of rice cereal.

Today was kind of stressful, phone interview for a job. I'm qualified, but it would mean a 5,000 cut in pay over what I was making when my last job was eliminated. The recruiter is afraid that I would continue to look and would leave if I found a job that paid better. She's probably right, but I'm still bummed.

While I love this plan in principle, I'm having a little trouble getting on track. I'm working temp job and pack my food too. Sometimes I feel like I'm bring the whole cupboard. I need to get out of the mindset that lunch is at noon. I eat around 8, so that would mean 11, 2, 5, and 8 for me. I can do the 11 and 2 if I put my mind to it. Dinner is more like 6:30 by the time I get home and cook and I like to have a snack around 10. So it's really just the morning snack and lunch times I need to get used to.

kellicruz - I find myself starving on the high carb days too. Once I figure out how high is high I think I'll be able to adjust my protein in the am better to fill me up. I do find protein more filling. I'm used to eating a big breakfast of 3 eggs, cheese, some veggies thrown in and bacon. That doesn't work any more. What I used to consider high protein isn't on this plan.

Hang in there. We'll get this figured out!
    Gini
  • funkzilla
    Options
    I basically made this list on excel, but put all the little trade rules and schedules on there too. I printed it on cardstock so i can take it with me everywhere and use it as quick reference. I can add, delete or change anything on it anytime i want...I added turkey bacon to my list...as long as my proteins stay under 100 calories as recommended...3 tbsp of egg whites, two turkey bacon, a thomas light whole grain rnglish muffin, a tablespoon of bell peppers, a tbsp of chopped spinach, and 5 prays of butter,a and two tomatoe slices are my breakfast sandwich coming in at 219 calories.