Where to find a reliable scale?

Options
KimWW
KimWW Posts: 301 Member
I need a way to weigh myself more often (once every 6 mos isn't going to cut it.) I have tried Walmart and actually found a scale that could handle up to 400 pounds, but it did not seem reliable to me. I would stand on it, get a reading; then step off and back on again and get a totally different reading 3 seconds later. I suppose I could have done this 5 or 7 times and then averaged them, but that seems a ridiculous way of doing what should be simple.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable home scale, that can handle over 300 pounds and preferably will not break the check book?

Replies

• samandlucysmum
    Options
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOMEDICS-310-DIGITAL-BATHROOM-SCALE-CP-SC310D-350LB-CAPACITY-1-6-LCD-/190581917945?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5f9148f9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Biggest-Loser-Taylor-Dig-Bath-Scale-350lb-/221099342352?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337a8c3a10

Just looked it up, google for 350lb scales in your area, I am in uk, so not much use apart from above links on Ebay.com

Also, pick a level area in your home, use a spirit level for complete accuracy, and remember the exact spot, they say to get on a digital scale 3 times to find the right weight.

Good luck in your search.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor Wide Body scale that weighs accurately up to 440 lbs and is sizeable enough for me to stand comfortably on it. I bought it from Target a few months ago at around $30 and it has been awesome. Matches up perfectly to the digital scale at the hospital where I work and with the scale at my gym.

http://www.target.com/p/taylor-digital-wide-body-scale/-/A-13951513#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My Weigh XL-550 Talking Bathroom Scale from amazon.com for $39.99

goes to 550 pounds, you can turn off the voice, and in my range of 420s, it gives within a pound when I step off and on.
  • v_snowdrop
    Options
    Most of the scales on amazon go to 440 lbs. Just search 'scale' ... But DON'T buy EatSmart brand, which unfortunately the first several results of an amazon search are of that brand. If I were you I'd scroll past those lol. EatSmart is terrible in my experience. My mom's digital scale from the early 1980s worked better lol.

The next one I tried cost $28 and has worked flawlessly for months. This is the title:
    Ozeri Precision Pro II Digital Bathroom Scale, 440 LB Capacity Tempered Glass Platform with Step-on Activation

edit ^^ this second scale was also bought from amazon, just to clarify
  • quiggley
    quiggley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have the My Weight talking scale already mentioned. Now with me My floor is un-level so I put dumbbells on it to make sure it was weighing right. I have got use to the voice and it is easier then having to be still and look down at the same time I have horrible balance :)
  • KimWW
    Options
    OK, so...new scale ordered and arrived. I haven't used it yet, so no personal info on reliability. I think I will use three readings each time and keep track of them all, using the average as what I consider myself to weigh.
  • KimWW
    Options
    Tried my new scale. Should I believe it or the one at the doctor's office? They cannot both be right. Even my self-hating, pessimistic self cannot believe I have gained 60 pounds in the last two weeks.
  • KimWW
    Options
    At least it was consistent each time I stepped on it. ;)
  • quiggley
    quiggley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Put something that you know the weight of like a Dumbbell on it to test and have someone else weigh that knows their weight.. Check your Floor also My Bathroom slopes and if it is too near the sink I lose an instant 34 pounds.
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Weird tip, never use it on carpet. If you only have carpet go to a home store and get a large tile to lay it on. The weight is never right when I weigh on carpet only :)