Hunger Games

Options
7201955 Posts: 27 Member
I read the first of the trilogy thinking I would not be to my taste. Surprise-I thought it was a good book to chew on. It was an easy read but the content is meaty.

Anyone intersted in sharing thought about this one? It seems appropriate for people limiting their food intake.

Replies

• spotty_dotty
    spotty_dotty Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Haha-- The Hunger Games diet.

I read the trilogy last year when they came out. I tend to read a few YA books a year as I work with teenagers. However, what I really like about The Hunger Games (I'll just stick to the first title here) is that it's a book that can be enjoyed by all ages. I really liked the themes of oppression, wealth and poverty (sorta comparable to the 1%) and Katniss's sacrifice and rebellion.
    I really enjoyed that the book contained a strong female hero as well.
    I remember after reading the first book, I was so disappointed because I'd have to wait for the 2nd book to come out.
    Do you plan on continuing the series?
    I recommend it.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the trilogy. However I thought the first book to be the best.
  • hellotherecupcake
    Options
    I enjoyed the series. I feel like I read it so long ago that I don't really remember much of it :(, but I remember liking the second one the best, I think.

A series that I recommend that's a lot like The Hunger Games (anyone else notice how many more dystopian novels have been released recently?!) is Divergent by Veronica Roth. That's the name of the first book.
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I loved the Hunger Games. I couldn't put the dang book down. I read one right after the other too. I hope the movie doesn't completely kill it like they did for Twilight. I love teen books and probably read too many but I do throw other more adult fantasy/dystopian type books in there too.

If you like a strong female lead you may like Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series or Vikki Pettersson's The Signs of the Zodiac. They both have female heroes and they are more adult.
  • Jujubee2000
    Options
    I really liked the second book the best, but feel they all flowed well together. Each one complimented the other and it has to be one of the best trilogies I have read. I like some YA, I feel if the writer is good anyone can read it,even if it is targeted to YA. Take Harry Potter for example. Targeted to YA but so well written it didn't matter. I can not say the same about Twilight. I picked up the first book and never made it past the first chapter,her writing is atrocious,and that includes the fan-fic inspired Shades of Grey.Not to mention the inaccuracies in Shades of Grey and horrid movies that follow Twilght and the soon to be made Shades
    Now....these are MY opinions.I am not telling anyone not to like something.I just know quite a bit about the BDSM community and Shades is so terrible and stereotypical it is sad.
  • Scarlettbird50
    Scarlettbird50 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a 'kid' series or trilogy but decided to read the first one and could not put it down, devoured the whole series in a week. Catching Fire was my favorite one :)
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I loved the Hunger Games. I couldn't put the dang book down. I read one right after the other too. I hope the movie doesn't completely kill it like they did for Twilight. I love teen books and probably read too many but I do throw other more adult fantasy/dystopian type books in there too.

If you like a strong female lead you may like Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series or Vikki Pettersson's The Signs of the Zodiac. They both have female heroes and they are more adult.

I enjoyed the Hunger Games. It was assigned reading for my girls in 8th grade. One loved it and kept on me until I read it. Glad she did!

Like Missmayeb I also enjoy teen books. I have 15 year old twins and like to read what they are reading or books I can suggest to them.
  • deborah0123
    Options
    Like the rest of you. I enjoyed the series of The Hunger Games. I could not put them down. I got all 3 at the same time. once I got started I read all on a weekend..I love reading and I read about anything..am anxious to see what book is chosen to read..going to be fun
  • brittlynn8907
    brittlynn8907 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    These books were really good! I just thought ending felt forced.

If you like to read teen books then I would suggest L.A. Meyer's Bloody Jack series. There is a strong female lead in these too!
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed the trilogy, but the first book was by far my favorite. I felt that all the things Katniss did were plausible within the scope of the world she lived in and her live experience. That sort of went out the window in the other two books for me. Catching Fire and Mockingbird both felt sort of rushed and forced, especially Mockingbird. One example of that is [!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!] when she is rescued from the arena and asks what is going on. Instead of writing out the conversation and her reactions to it, the author basically writes "Haymitch explained that 13 is still going and is working to overthrow the Capitol, so they saved her to be a mascot for them." Uh, ok. That's just lazy! I also felt some of the things Katniss did in the other two (again, especially the third) got a little ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the books, just not nearly as much as the first one.

But, I think the second and third will make really good movies. I hope they put as much effort as they did into the first one, because that movie was amazing. It really captured the book wonderfully. It is very rare that I say that about a movie based on a book I love. The attention to the details in the book and the character development were great. Somehow, they managed to capture the essence of the characters and the feel of the book. I was very, very impressed.

I also like YA books, if they are well written. I loved the Harry Potter series, for example. I think it's because you get a good story without the focus on sex that you find in a lot of books for adults. I don't see anything in THG or HP that make them "for kids." On the contrary! Both are definitely NOT for kids.

ETA: I tried to find the link, but I couldn't. Anyway, there was a meme floating around for a while that basically went:

Chronicles of Narnia fans: "I want to go to Narnia!"
    Harry Potter fans: "I want to go to Hogwarts!"
    The Hunger Games fans: "Uh.... no, I'm good."