Interested in a MFP get together race

Options
ATclassof2021
ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
Was wondering if anyone had any interest in finding a race (in the spring (March/April)) where those of us on this site could meet up and run a race together.....maybe a half marathon???? Would anyone be interested?

Replies

• rychma
    rychma Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wish, but there is quite a distance between us! I am not really to the point where I am willing or able to travel for races.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    depends on where it is?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'd entertain this idea. Sure.
  • amandask66
    amandask66 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Depending on where it was I would be interested.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Indiana area here; sounds like a neat idea. Would possibly try Southern Michigan or Western Ohio area too, depending on distance
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm in the other hemisphere!
  • ridge1980
    ridge1980 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested, but like the others, it depends on where. Maybe we could think of a couple of different races in different areas for people to go to?
  • ATclassof2021
    Options
    I agree, a couple locations would be great.......maybe somewhere in the west/northwest and another east/northeast......cooler that way. Only races on my calendar for next year to this point is Tampa in Feb (4 races in 2 days - 5k, half, 8k, 15k) and NYC Marathon in Nov. I did run the Flying Pig in Cin Ohio this spring and it was a blast.....also a great race in Nashville in the spring (country Music half marathon)......free concert the evening after the race and plenty of fun to be had around nashville. And the support on the course is unbelievable.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    How about The Boston Marathon in 2014? :smile:

That will be on my schedule if I qualify at one of the two marathons on my schedule right now.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

That will be on my schedule if I qualify at one of the two marathons on my schedule right now.

I like how you think!

I'm going to try to qualify for Boston next year. I ran 3:50 in my June marathon. Right now I'm 34 years old, so qualifying for me would be 3:35 but next year when I turn 35 I get bumped up to 3:40. I trained hard this year and took 15 minutes off my previous PR of 4:05, so I think I can train hard again and shave off another 10 minutes. I'm going to try really, really hard anyway!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

I like how you think!

I'm going to try to qualify for Boston next year. I ran 3:50 in my June marathon. Right now I'm 34 years old, so qualifying for me would be 3:35 but next year when I turn 35 I get bumped up to 3:40. I trained hard this year and took 15 minutes off my previous PR of 4:05, so I think I can train hard again and shave off another 10 minutes. I'm going to try really, really hard anyway!

You are already bumped! The qualifying time is for your age at the time of the Boston Marathon you are registering for! I'm in the same boat, and I just realized this a couple days ago. I'll be 45 at the time of the race in 2014, so I only need to run 3:25 (my PR is 3:26). All this time I was training under the impression that I had to run 3:15 to qualify.
  • ATclassof2021
    Options
    Only way I am getting in Boston is to buy my way in......I need to take 45 min off my PR to qual
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Only way I am getting in Boston is to buy my way in......I need to take 45 min off my PR to qual

Better get busy! :laugh:
  • ebaymommy
    Options

I like how you think!

You are already bumped! The qualifying time is for your age at the time of the Boston Marathon you are registering for! I'm in the same boat, and I just realized this a couple days ago. I'll be 45 at the time of the race in 2014, so I only need to run 3:25 (my PR is 3:26). All this time I was training under the impression that I had to run 3:15 to qualify.

Really? I didn't know that. Oh well, not gonna happen this year anyway...I need at least until spring to train hard enough to chop off another 10 minutes.

I have one more marathon in 2012 but it's in 4 weeks and I'm pacing my mom for her first marathon so no PR goals for me there, just supporting her and hopefully getting her across the finish line still smiling.
  • ebaymommy
    Options

It's do-able! I ran my first marathon almost 5 years ago. My slowest time was 4:48 and this spring (marathon #5) I ran 3:50, so I've taken 58 minutes off my time. My other times have been 4:34, 4:18 and 4:05.
  • ATclassof2021
    Options
    I have ran 3 marathons, the first was 5:02, second was 4:18, and the third was 4:13 on a very hilly and hard course.......running MCM in Oct and plan to be under 4 hrs. Getting down to a 8 min mile pace for 26.2 miles is not likely for me.....but one never knows. I will be running NYC next year and then Athens in 2014. Decided one marathon a year is enough.....two puts me in marathon training pretty much all year.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was looking at a half in Kansas City in April. I'd be up for meeting but depends on the drive.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd say we could register as a group and do Houston one year. FLAT and fast marathon.
  • Kwika
    Kwika Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My goal and dream is to run Boston but I have to be able to run a marathon first. I have ran one half ant my time was 3:45:33. I am running one on Nov. 4 and one in Feb. I am hoping to beable to run a full maybe this summer. All I have to do for qualifying for Boston is to run one under 5 hours. Wha??? I qualify for a sight disabled class that is part the qualifying times. I have to do a lot more distance and get my pace time down considerably. That would be fun to get together for Boston though. One thing to keep in mind. Just because you qualify doesn't mean you're automatically in. Once registration is open, it's first come first served and last year's sold out in two hours.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I'd say we could register as a group and do Houston one year. FLAT and fast marathon.

I'm doing Houston this coming January 2013.