I'm here and looking around...

Options
Where are you? I don't have any tips for reducing fatty liver other than losing weight. I've had it for years...NARFL (Non-alcohol related fatty liver) That's the only advice doctors have given me. I'll do some looking around and see what I can scare up on the net.

Replies

• Hoosier_born
    Options
    Hi, I have a non-alcoholic fatty liver, wouldn't even say it was a disease, it came up on the ulrasound, so here I am to lose weight!
  • sweetiecake
    sweetiecake Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    HI. I ALSO HAVE THIS CONDITION WHICH IS NON ALCOHOLIC RELATED. IT TO CAME TO LIGHT WHEN A CAT-SCAN WAS DONE. I AM HERE TO LOSE WEIGHT. I AM OVER-WEIGHT AND THIS WILL BE A STRUGGLE , BUT I AM DETERMINED. LETS DO THIS TOGETHER. LET'S INSPIRE ONE ANOTHER. GOOD LUCK!
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a non-alcoholic fatty liver as well. I am on medication which slowly destroy my whole digestive system.

I bought "THE LIVER CLEANSING DIET" - Dr Sandra Cabot - book which is great and explained a lot of my questions.
    Below is link to her web page.

http://www.liverdoctor.com/
  • kmartin833
    Options
    Hi! After being diagnosed with NAFLD, having a liver biopsy to rule out cancer, and being "ordered" to lose weight, I am down about 24 pounds since August 2011, and see a remarkable improvement. The latest blood work shows enzyme levels at a perfect level despite having a few glasses of wine on the weekends. While I didn't consider myself as obese as the guidelines said (182 at my heaviest - 5'2" - 51 years old), I realize I was in denial. I am now hoping to improve my fitness level to be able to get off of the cholesteral blood pressure meds - one step at a time! Good luck to all still struggling (myself included - 25 pounds to go!!).
  • projectviolin
    projectviolin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone:

A few years back I had a terrible doctor who told me that I had fatty liver but he said nothing else about it. All he ever told me was rude comment like...Lets face it your fat and sassy OR when he told me I had fatty liver he said,"I expected that"! When I asked him what it is what I should do about it, he didnt answer me! He is no longer my doctor!

I was doing research on the internet about health stuff and then today I saw this group. I looked up Dr. Sandra Cabot website and found it to be helpful.
    A question: does anyone know what the liver cleanse, Dr. Sandra Cabot, is talking about, actually is?

12666815.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow! Lots of replies. I'm going to go to that Dr Sandra Cabbot's website you mentioned and check it out. I do know that fatty liver, left untreated can turn into cirrhosis of the liver and THAT is life threatening. I've been in denial for years, and most of the docs I went to just sort of shrugged it off. So, I did, too. So what, I have fatty liver...well I'm fat, too...was my thought pattern.

I'm 55 now, and I'm seeing some of the bad effects of my denial. I've decided I don't want to live my life in pain. Yes, I've finally gotten it though my thick skull that that is the probable outcome. I'm so glad this group was started.

Let's all friend each other!
  • blissfuldrake
    Options
    Good Lord! I have every single one of these problems, underactive thyroid, high LDL, Type 2 Diabetes, PMS (when I HAD ovaries).

http://www.liverdoctor.com/index.php?page=interesting-facts-about-the-liver

Very informative site.
  • blissfuldrake
    Options
    OK, I just got the book FATTY LIVER - You Can Reverse It . I have a Kindle and I bought it at Amazon.com for 7.96 USD plus tax.:smile: She is asking 20.00 for the paperback on her site.
  • blissfuldrake
    Options
    I've read part of the book I bought, the one about reversing the Fatty Liver Disease. So far, I see they want me to give up ALL starches and sugars (except for 2 fruit a day) for 6 months to a year. They also want me to have vegetable juices/smoothies every day. Oh, my. Since I already have Type 2 Diabetes, my regimen is longer and a lot stricter than for people who don't have sugar problems. I am doing pretty well on my diet right now, and have favorite 'snacks' stockpiled away to enjoy in tiny doses, and I don't want to waste them. I am happy to be making a few changes here and there, getting used to that, and then making a few more. This is rather radical. Maybe I can ease into it, because I would really like to get to work on solving the Fatty Liver issue...and perhaps reverse the Diabetes as well. I'm just concerned that such a radical change all at once will cause me to sabotage myself and derail. I did go and look at a really fast blender/juicer/smoothie maker today. $79 at WalMart. I'm going to look around online to see if there is something cheaper.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I had fatty liver, but I do not any longer. I lost a lot of weight, ate healthy, removed all carbs (really! No pasta, bread, nothing!) and artificial sugars from my diet for over a year, and got healthy. I also made sure to eat lots of veggies and get a really good fiber supplement. In July '10, I had surgery to correct a mild hernia, and my dr did a liver biopsy to make sure my abdomenal pain was not from the liver. Not only is the fatty liver condition gone, but my liver enzymes have returned to normal and my liver is healthy again!
  • blissfuldrake
    Options
    WOW! You did GREAT. I hope you are justifiably proud of yourself. That is quite a commitment. You give me hope. That is basically what Dr Cabbot recommends, but I don't really trust people who are trying to sell you stuff that they promote. Thanks for the independent confirmation.
  • Hoosier_born
    Options
    I just read the post about the loss of 181 pounds and the reversal of the fatty liver, huge congrats, and this is so heartening to hear.

As much as Sandra Cabot is right, shes $$$$.

Drake, I started on Cenovis Liver tablets which has milk thistle and this is has proven to aid with the fatty liver, my enzymes are off slightly too, and I am 31!!!
  • blissfuldrake
    Options

Drake, I started on Cenovis Liver tablets which has milk thistle and this is has proven to aid with the fatty liver, my enzymes are off slightly too, and I am 31!!!

Thanks for the information, I'll look into that...
  • mcwolff35
    Options
    I'm new to this game. I have recently been diagnosed with a non-alcoholic fatty liver. I am not over weight and exercise regularly. I went to a nutritionist to assist in correcting my diet - my insurance covers it. He said I was consuming too many fruits and juices. I also eat too many cookies. I am now on a new diet with a lot more vegetables and fish and only whole grains - and no processed sugars. He also recommended I increase my exercising to a minimum of 5 times a week for an hour each.

I signed up for this website/app to manage the food diary my nutritionist wants me to keep. The calorie counter function helps me make sure I am eating enough to support me weight and exercise. So far the its been very helpful.

I appreciate everything I have read in this group and wonder if anyone else on here is in a similar situation as me? Thanks! Mat