Cycling & Diet

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new to the group, and new to MFP.

I've always been a big exerciser, but mostly swimming and cardio machines (bad knees) and recently have discovered the wonderful (knee-friendly) world of cycling. I'm loving the rush, the rides, everything.

Only thing is that I think I'm not eating enough/right with my newfound rides. I'm not riding all that much yet - 2 to 3 times a week commuting to work. It's low-mileage, but it's new york city so there are a few good inclines and lots of sprinting to avoid cars! Anyway, on days I ride, I eat afterward, and then I just can't stop eating. It's like I can't get enough. I'm eating good stuff, or so I thought - y'know banana, maybe some oatmeal, yogurt, stuff like that - but it doesn't seem to be enough, and it tends to set me off on a carb binge - bread, bread, bread.

Is there a secret? Protein drink after riding? Before riding? More protein in general? More carbs? Just more calories on those days? Would love some advice.

Replies

• Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    How much time are spending in the saddle? If it is an hour or less then water will work. I try to fuel before I go. If my ride is longer than an hour I will take something with me. Afterwards I will have a protein shake. Eating well before you ride will help you avoid gorging afterwards. Drop a granola bar or banana or GU gels in your jersey pocket and use them as you feel a need for energy. Cycling can burn a ton of calories.
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What I've learned is carbs before, protein after and some carbs during if it's a longer ride + ample water. It's really easy to keep stuffing your face after you ride, but until your body is used to the effect cylcing has on it, take it slow. Alternate food and water, ie take a bite, take a drink. It helps you re-hydrate well, and lets your body process the food you're eating more slowly, so you realize you're full before you're uncomfortably full. If you still feel hungry in a half hour, eat a little more. My fav after ride combo is a banana and chocolate milk. Happy trails!
  • aenshelton
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips!
  • bethlikesbikes
    Options
    During cycling season I make sure to not go into a ride hungry and I be sure to eat a larger meal 2 hours before the ride (something that's a mix of carbs- fast and slow digesting ones, and protein). Eat during the ride if the ride is longer than 1.5 hours. I also have to eat every 3 hours in the summer. I just anticipate the need for either a 200 calorie snack (always with protein and fiber) and small meals. This way I'm always one step ahead of my hunger. And as for carbs, you probably don't need as many of them as you think you do. I start my day with more protein than carbs. If I have bread or a bagel, I'll just keep craving more all day. If I do eggs over bulgar wheat or quinoa or if I have oatmeal, I don't have the carb cravings.
  • aenshelton
    Options
    Thanks, that's very helpful. It didn't even occur to me that I wasn't eating before my morning sprint commute, so when I got to work and had breakfast, it was like I was in starvation mode! And I'm now focusing on protein for breakfast, which I didn't do before. Thanks again.
  • maradot
    maradot Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I find that dark green vegetables like broccoli and greens fill me up and take away the hungeries. Also a protein shake made with protein powder and a blend of vegetables and fruit.

1/2 peach - frozen is nice
    1 peeled carrot,
    1/2 cup cucumber or green pepper
    1 stalk of celery
    protein powder
    1 tbs ground almonds
    1 cup watermelon, or 1/2 banana, or 1 apple (minus the core), or 1 cup berries.
    Add enough water in the blender to 2 " from the top of the ingredients and blend.
    You may have to blend 3 times with a little rest for the motor.
    You may want to add a little no calorie sweetner like Stevia if you feel you need it.
  • clarkindee
    clarkindee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with some others -- you may be actually craving water. drink a hefty amount of water after your ride and wait to see how you feel. You shouldn't be craving food so much if you are eating properly at meals. Your post doesn't say whether you are also trying to lose weight....you might just be more mindful of adding some additional protein at meals to bolster your calories needs for your riding. I used to bike commute five days a week (sadly, not now but hoping to get back to it) and I had no cravings after the ride.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    First thing i feel the need to do after a several hour ride is use the bathroom. Then maybe drink a protein shake but I dont feel overly hungry even after burning upwards of 3k calories
  • 2kwaldo
    2kwaldo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My typical pre -ride breakfast is a slice of ezekiel bread with peanut butter, tea with milk. I have this regardless of how far/long I am riding. If more than an hour I bring gel shots or GU, maybe a luna bar. Always have 2 bottles of water on the bike (in AZ). Protein shake with almond milk after, some days might add half a banana and hersheys syrup to it.

I find my appetite is reduced when I ride hard for more than an hour for at least a day or two after.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily bike commuter, have been for years and still haven't found the sweet spot for eating. Trying lately to have something small, piece of fruit, cheese stick, yogurt before I leave the house then having "breakfast" when I get to work. Seems to be working pretty good as long as I'm getting enough water. On the long rides I tend to bring along a clif bar/granola bar plus plenty of water (also in AZ) and eat a normal-ish meal post.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    I find that dark green vegetables like broccoli and greens fill me up and take away the hungeries. Also a protein shake made with protein powder and a blend of vegetables and fruit.

1/2 peach - frozen is nice
    1 peeled carrot,
    1/2 cup cucumber or green pepper
    1 stalk of celery
    protein powder
    1 tbs ground almonds
    1 cup watermelon, or 1/2 banana, or 1 apple (minus the core), or 1 cup berries.
    Add enough water in the blender to 2 " from the top of the ingredients and blend.
    You may have to blend 3 times with a little rest for the motor.
    You may want to add a little no calorie sweetner like Stevia if you feel you need it.

Not if you own a Vitamix or Blendtec blender.