3DS XL. Worth it?

Options
Gilbrod
Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
So, I have all versions of Nintendo's handhelds. Yes, even the GBA Micro, which started my then 3 year old get into gaming. I didn't jump on the 3DS when it launched because I thought it was too expensive. Good thing I waited. Anyway, the new 3DS XL is out. Does anyone have it? If so, is it worth me shelling out the $200 it costs? No, I will not be trading in my 3DS. It has sentimental value meaning my wife gave it to me for Valentines Day out of the blue. (she's the greatest!) Anyway, Is it more comfortable for the hands? Will I still get hand cramps playing Kid Icarus? Is the 3D done well? I hope someone has an answer. Peace out!

Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    3DS XL is a pretty nice piece of hardware. I have both I before the XL while I'm at home its better with the hands. Best thing to do it is good a gamestop or bestbuy and just play around with it.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Fox has a point.

But from what I read, the 3D is even better because the bigger screen helped with the resolution. The reason why the 3DS's top screen is black is so that the 3D effect can be seen, but with the 3DSXL its so large they didnt need to amke the top portion black.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    my kids each have the regular 3ds.. i want t the new one for me... and then they will promptly fight over it.

or i'll wait and maybe someone will give it to me for christmas. :D
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I want it. My son has a regular 3DS. My daughter has a DSi and I have a DSi XL. I'm a big Nintendo guy and doing my best to keep my kids in the Nintendo family.
  • Gilbrod
    Options
    I wish I could play around with one. The Best Buy and GameStop around here don't have any demos. Since I frequent Gamestop a lot, they're holding on to 2 of them for me. I don't know if I should wait for some special black Friday Zelda version to come out. I have a Vita as well, but don't do jack with it. Just sits there collecting dust. Maybe I'll eBay it.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    I wish I could play around with one. The Best Buy and GameStop around here don't have any demos. Since I frequent Gamestop a lot, they're holding on to 2 of them for me. I don't know if I should wait for some special black Friday Zelda version to come out. I have a Vita as well, but don't do jack with it. Just sits there collecting dust. Maybe I'll eBay it.

Whats the trade in value for the Vita? Might as well knock a few bucks off right?

Question to all: The data can be transfered right? All save data and such can be transfered from one 3DS to another?
  • Gilbrod
    Options

Whats the trade in value for the Vita? Might as well knock a few bucks off right?

Question to all: The data can be transfered right? All save data and such can be transfered from one 3DS to another?

Nah. The Vita stays. It's part of my hording habit. I rarely sell games or systems. My wife used to complain saying "Why do you always have to get more videogames systems when you have the ones you already have?" I literally picked up my Mario 64 cart and tried to stick it in the Gamecube. That was the end of that argument and she has since, been asimilated. As for your other question, yes. You can do a transfer from your system to another only 5 times in the life cycle of that particular unit. After 5, you're S.O.L.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options

Nah. The Vita stays. It's part of my hording habit. I rarely sell games or systems. My wife used to complain saying "Why do you always have to get more videogames systems when you have the ones you already have?" I literally picked up my Mario 64 cart and tried to stick it in the Gamecube. That was the end of that argument and she has since, been asimilated. As for your other question, yes. You can do a transfer from your system to another only 5 times in the life cycle of that particular unit. After 5, you're S.O.L.

how is this done?
  • Gilbrod
    Options

how is this done?

http://youtu.be/2siuaWviFew
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options

how is this done?

http://youtu.be/2siuaWviFew

figures youtube is blcked.

But its just by going through the SD card right? So lets say I want to trade it in, I would have to make sure its all in the memory card?
  • Gilbrod
    Options

But its just by going through the SD card right? So lets say I want to trade it in, I would have to make sure its all in the memory card?
    [/quote]

From the video, it says that you need internet access. According to www.cheapassgamer.com, they're saying Gamestop is being told to let customers do the transfer at the stores using their wifi. Here are the instructions in a nut shell....

1) Turn on both systems
    2) Set the old system to send out the transfer to another system
    3) Set the New System to accept the Transfer from another system
    4) Old system says connecting to the internet (for what reason I don't know)
    5) Old system system says "You have x amount of transfers left on this system"
    6) Hit OK and starts to save everything on the SD card AND transfers to new system (my dafuq moment)
    7) Accept transfer on new system and loading starts

I definately reccomend watching the video. I am buying a new one today. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options

From the video, it says that you need internet access. According to www.cheapassgamer.com, they're saying Gamestop is being told to let customers do the transfer at the stores using their wifi. Here are the instructions in a nut shell....

1) Turn on both systems
    6) Hit OK and starts to save everything on the SD card AND transfers to new system (my dafuq moment)

I definately reccomend watching the video. I am buying a new one today. I'll let you know how it goes.
    [/quote]

Sweet! Let me know if its worth it. I might end up trading in my 3DS to get the XL. The screen worries me with how wiggly it is.

ANother question though. I bought the Second joystick for the 3DS. That obviously wont fit in the XL. Will they be making an XL version?
  • Gilbrod
    Options

1) Turn on both systems

Sweet! Let me know if its worth it. I might end up trading in my 3DS to get the XL. The screen worries me with how wiggly it is.

ANother question though. I bought the Second joystick for the 3DS. That obviously wont fit in the XL. Will they be making an XL version?
    [/quote]

That is a fantastic question. Videogame websites are blocked from my work computer (:mad: ). I will have to research that. I am assuming they are, BUT, crazier things have happened. Are you able to use that stick for Kid Icarus? Was it worth it?
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options

1) Turn on both systems

That is a fantastic question. Videogame websites are blocked from my work computer (:mad: ). I will have to research that. I am assuming they are, BUT, crazier things have happened. Are you able to use that stick for Kid Icarus? Was it worth it?
    [/quote]

Well, I was able to play kid icarus with it.. but its a mess. Worth it? No. I heard that Metal Gear Solid was easier to play with it. Kingdom Hearts is supposed to support it, but I dont know how that plays either. Kid Icarus was was just a nightmare to play with the joystick. You think that with the added controls they would let you map it, but they dont. No new options for controls open when that is attached. Reading a couple boards I found out that the circle pad is really for left handed people to play Kid Icarus. So if you're left handed, you'll find it easier. Me being right handed..made everything worse. If I get the 3DS XL I'm hoping I can trade that in as well for some added bump to the money off.
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I find it very hard to recommend a 3DS of any kind unless you have lots of disposable income and a true love of portable gaming. As a system it has very little to offer & I'd always recommend a standard DS over a 3DS any day of the week. The 3D effect is an awesome toy for the first few hours but you'll quickly grow wary of it & most games are actually better to play in 2D (especially if you plan a long session)
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    I find it very hard to recommend a 3DS of any kind unless you have lots of disposable income and a true love of portable gaming. As a system it has very little to offer & I'd always recommend a standard DS over a 3DS any day of the week. The 3D effect is an awesome toy for the first few hours but you'll quickly grow wary of it & most games are actually better to play in 2D (especially if you plan a long session)

While thats true, that the 3D of a 3DS looses its charm quickly, I love the graphics and playability of it. I have loads of oldschool portable games from the gameboy advance and game boy on here. Great to play those again. It is alot of money, but in the end, I found it worth it for me. But I am a fanboy.
  • Gilbrod
    Options
    Yeah, I love the 3D. It's awesome on Pushamo! I can play it for hours on end. I have a seperate account for games. I love the fact that I can play the Game Gear version of Shinobi on my 3DS. Also, the games coming out soon (Princess Code, Castlevania, ect) are gonna be awesome. I'm a fan of all gaming. Portable gaming is awesome for long trips and such. Also keeps the kids out of my game room and them quiet.