Cleaning and fettling... [image heavy]

cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
I went for a ride yesterday as part of the Vuelta Challenge; just after the first kilometre the heavens opened...

Alas I got soaked and filth, as did my bike, so tonight I got on with cleaning...

Before:

boardman1.JPG

boardman2.JPG

boardman3.JPG

boardman4.JPG

boardman5.JPG

boardman6.JPG

boardman7.JPG

boardman8.JPG

After:

boardman11.JPG

boardman12.JPG

boardman13.JPG

boardman14.JPG

boardman15.JPG

Much better :glasses:

All ready to start getting dirty again tomorrow :laugh:

Replies

• KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    The joys of not using mudguards! :wink:

Looking good, thanks for sharing! :smile:
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    The cross rider in me is mocking your <ahem> dirty bike.

:tongue:
  • cloggsy71

If I'd wanted to go 'mud plugging' I'd have bought a tractor* :laugh:

(*) Says the man who wants to buy a CX :wink:
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member

If I'd wanted to go 'mud plugging' I'd have bought a tractor* :laugh:

(*) Says the man who wants to buy a CX :wink:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    I think my Planet-X was pretty much at your "filthy" status every day between October and March this year. I'm certainly thinking seriously about swapping the PX's road frame out for a PX Uncle-John cross frame, dropping some Fulcrum 5 CX's on it, with the rest of the 9 speed ultegra from the current roadbike and building a cross/winter hack - then getting the rest of the 10 speed ultegra to match the new chainset and wheels, and maybe bolting them to something like a Cervelo r3 ready for next season. The more I think about the De Rosa/Record 11, the more I think "yeah, but everything is completely and totally incompatible with what I've already got...
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Oh! This happens with me every time I go out in rains..like yesterday and today. Thanks for sharing!! We have something in common!
  • cloggsy71
    yeah, but everything is completely and totally incompatible with what I've already got...

Ker-ching!

On mine I did notice some cracking around some of the spoke nipples on my rear wheel though :noway:

Maybe a new wheelset may be in order when the Carbon goes away for winter... :frown: More ker-ching :sad:
  • TheBigYin
    :frown: are they "eyeletted" spoke drillings or just straight into the metal - can't remember what the ritchey's are like tbh. If they're eyeletted, then I'd keep riding 'em while I found the right pair of replacements - but the other kind I'd be pensioning off - I've ripped wheels apart before and it's not pleasant - and on a "plastic frame" there's plenty of scope for frame damage if it's the back wheel that goes...
  • cloggsy71
    :frown: are they "eyeletted" spoke drillings or just straight into the metal

How do I know/find this out?
  • TheBigYin
    eyeletted have a little metal "eyelet" around the nipple, plain drillled just have the nipple emerging from the plain alu. of the rim.

eyeletted (and cracked) Mavic XC717 rim on my "little red 'bred"

3471080493_4b944a5b2c_z.jpg
  • cloggsy71
    Nope; mine don't have eyelets :sad:

More bloody expense - The missus will be pleased :noway:
  • TheBigYin
    oh dear... not good.

Have a look at the Hope Hoops - at least they use non-proprietary rims (mavic's) which can be replaced when they wear out or crack... That's the only thing I have against these "factory" wheels - like the Fulcrums I've just worn out, and the Ultegra's I've just bought come to think of it. You wouldn't think I can build my own wheels, would you... :doh:

(oh and BTW - the rim above ripped apart the following ride - tore the spoke clean out of the rim, which split in two, pretzeled, locked the rear end and sent me down the tarmac... wouldn't have minded if I'd have been hooning around off-road on it...)

As to the "finance director" - ask her how much it'll cost to come and visit you in intensive care for a month if you take a header at the speed you fly about...