Success - I made a gluten free pizza that was delicious!

Options
Well, after a bit of work I pulled it off. Here's my pizza. :)

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/185929_10151148180867053_1084938930_n.jpg

It seems like you have to copy and paste the link to see the photo. Either way, if you want the recipe I'll post it later.

Monica

Replies

• jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    That looks awesome!

What recipe did you use for the crust?
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You won't believe this. It's store bought! It's the Udi crust that's gluten free. It ended up with a great texture and was really crispy. You have to watch your toppings though as the crust is pretty high in calories but it was amazing! It's sorta pre-cooked so it's just a matter of crisping it up. Next time I might try putting it a bit in the oven THEN adding the topics to make it even more crisp.

Here's the recipe items:

1/3 cup Rao's Homemade - Pizza Sauce - Publix carries it and it's more like a homemade not concentrated type
    *You can reduce the sauce to lower the calories
    1/4 cup Sargento - Artisan Blends Whole Milk Mozzarella - Shredded Natural Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese
    1/2 Cup - Raw Veggies - Red and Green Bell pepper
    1 Slice - Applegate Farms - Organic Genoa Salami - Chopped into tiny pieces (insane calories)
    1 - Udi's - Gluten Free Pizza Crust

All I did was put the toppings on in tiny bits evenly distributed and toasted it at the temperature it listed on the packaging. I did remove it from the pizza pan because it toasted better straight on the oven racks. I think it took like 15-20 minute to get it to the crisp I wanted. I kept checking it until it wasn't floppy.

Monica
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    185929_10151148180867053_1084938930_n.jpg

Hmm. I'm trying to see if I can get the picture to actually appear for everyone to view. ;)

Moni
  • smbh45
    smbh45 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love the Udi's crust....your pizza looks yummy!
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    It was really good! I don't feel like I'm giving up anything when I eat them. :) I love pizza and really needed to find something that would make that craving go away.

Fair warning - watch the timing. My oven seems to have gone a bit hinky. It's weird. I'd say, watch over it, use the temperature on the bag and basically just see if it's floppy when you lift it. It's pretty obvious that it's crispy.
  • morninglory5782
    morninglory5782 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    HA! I have an UDI's pizza crust in my freezer i got to try, now i'm really excited to do that! thanks!
    i have tried some GF frozen pizzas, glutino's - I think - spinach pizza or something, I have had it several times - SO good! I have been so pleasantly surprised at how good GF bread products are, i love the 'gritty' consistency of the glutino's, I haven't looked but I would guess it has cornmeal in it. All the breads have a little bit different taste and consistency that 'regular' bread that I was used to, but it's actually a Good change, I really like it!
  • sfarrell1359
    sfarrell1359 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There is a frozen dough by Gillians that is delicious as well, but you actually have to roll it out and everything. My husband makes it for me and it comes out delicious. I use Bertolli or Francesco Rinaldi sauces which I have found to taste the best.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If "Sinfully Gluten Free" is in your area, they have the BEST GF pizza crusts that I've had yet. It is a local outfit in Southwestern Ohio. So, many of you may have to go without. <g>
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options
    185929_10151148180867053_1084938930_n.jpg

Hmm. I'm trying to see if I can get the picture to actually appear for everyone to view. ;)

Moni

This looks delis!
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm a pizza junkie and I don't want to do without so I'm looking for a crust that tastes great without having to buy 6 different types of flours! I just tried the short cut of GF Bisquick pizza crust but it doesn't quite taste right. Edible but doesn't hit the spot like pizzeria crust does. I'm looking forward to trying Udi's!
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few GF pre-made crusts, Udi's is by far the best. I've only had it once or twice though because I really hate pizza. (I know, weird) My kids like it though. I just wish they didn't cost so much. Its almost $8 for 2 small crusts here.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    My favorite GF pizza ever is Udi's crust with Buffalo Wild Wings mild wing sauce, green bell pepper, and cheddar cheese.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hey Monica,

Now that you've tried the Against The Grain pizza crusts that I posted about... which one do you think is better? Udi's or ATG? I love, love, love the ATG crusts. Yum!

Dawn
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I cut them in half and the cost isn't as much per serving!!!! $2 per serving
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I made homemade pizzas with a recipe from the art of gluten free baking. Not only was it awesome, my husband loved it (he is not gluten free, but tried it anyway) and it was super easy to make. Here's the link, so far I have loved every recipe I have tried from this website, http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/2009/08/gluten-free-pizza-edited-62910/.
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to spend an extra 20 min to let the dough rise, Bob's Red Mill Pizza crust mix is also very good. (And you can finally break free from the 10" size restriction that so many crusts and restaurants offer.) The first time I tried making pizza with it, it didn't work so well because I didn't take the time to make it thin, enough. If you have have greased pizza pan (with holes) it will be fine. Udi's is great if you want something fast, but for the homemade experience, I prefer making Bob's from the mix.

This mix is also great for making calzones. I butter some aluminum foil sheets and spread about 1/4 of the dough out in a circle on each sheet, as if I were about to make a pizza. I put the filling (veggies, cheese, etc.) on one half of the dough. Then I pick up the other side of the aluminum foil and fold the dough over the other half, slowly removing it, so that it doesn't rip. If you dip your hands in cold water and smooth out the dough as you are pressing it, it should prevent some rips and smooth out the crust. All you have to do now is turn it out on to a pizza pan and bake it at the same temp as on the package directions for about 25-35 min, checking on its progress as you go. My husband loved these calzones and requested that I made as many as possible and freeze them, so we can take them to work. I had him help me make them, so he can appreciate the extra effort that goes into making a freezer full of calzones! :)
  • midnight333
    Options
    A big yummy bump.:smile:
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    I really loved the Against the Grain Pesto pizza. The texture is completely different though from the Udi's pizza crust. I like to bake it long enough to make this sorta crispy. The Against the Grain is more like a thick crust that's filled with cheese. Both were delicious - totally different though.

Monica
  • jennybear4041
    Options
    We made this over the weekend (using Better Batter) and it was amazing. Since we wanted the same toppings, we used 1/2 the dough in a 9inch cake pan.

http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/deep-dish-chicago-style-pizza/
  • kkaci5
    kkaci5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Here is my VERY favourite pizza crust!!! I personally don't like chickpea flour, but I've replaced the chickpea flour with a whole bunch of different options and the crust is still DELICIOUS! (Replaced with teff flour, millet flour, more sorghum).

I will add that I double the recipe (we have four gluten-free here!) and to the doubled recipe I also add 1 T. oregano and 0.25 c flax. The flax takes some of the "sticky" out ... I'm going to continue to play with flax amounts.

The nice thing? It's a beautiful crust and doesn't look gluten-free :-P.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Gluten-Free-Pizza-241924