keeping positive...

Options
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this group but happy to see there is a group for support! I am 29 and was just diagnosed with PCOS a few months ago after stopping the pill (was on it for over 10 years, which I guess hid the fact that I had PCOS!) When I was in high school and went on the pill, the dr. assumed my irregular cycle was due to being very involved in running/swimming. I am a pretty healthy, fit person and my husband and I are trying to start a family! Would love to hear some positive success stories, especially if anyone is in a similar position as me! Right now, we're going to a fertility dr, but I would love to find out some more natural approaches as well, as I'm a big believer in you are what you eat!! :)

Replies

• ShannonJohnson
    ShannonJohnson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am exactly in your same situation! I am 29 and was on BC from the time I was 16 till almost 2 years ago when me and my husband wanted to start trying. I did not get my period and my regular Dr did not want to do anything until a year of trying unsuccessful. I had a feeling something was not right so my friend told me about a Dr to go see that she was also recommended to and she found out I had PCOS from a ultrasound and a few tests. I unfortunatly do not have a success story for you but am hopeful that I will have one to share soon. We tried clomid with no luck of producing follicles and then I was sent to a RE Dr and got into injectables. We did a try at IUI last winter that was negative, then we were not able to get the meds to work in our favor to try another IUI, either too many follicles or they did not get large enough to try again cause of the PCOS. In late spring we just tried IVF for the first time and that did not work either. We decided to take the summer off cause of all the things we have gonig on in the summer we didn't want to be stuck going to all the appointments so we decided to take a bit of a break till late fall/ early winter and try IVF again. In the meantime I am hoping to lose some weight to see if that will help, I was never told by the Dr that I should do that but I could definitly lose some weight either way. My goal is to lose 20 lbs before we try IVF again so that isn't too bad, if I stick to a plan I can lose it pretty easily.

I have a friend who has PCOS and lost about 20-30 lbs and was able to get pregnant on her own so I hope maybe this will happen to us and we wont have to do IVF again. I have started taking maca root supplements as I heard on here that it can help regulate your cycle plus it is a 'super food' so I figure it cannot hurt. And then I am taking Metformin which helped keep the cyst from growing but has not helped me at all with weight loss or regualting my cycle.

Good luck to you and stay positive, it is very hard to do and you will get annoyed with everyone telling you to just relax and let it happen :) But keep strong as a couple and definitly joke about things! Me and my husband have come out of this even closer and has made our marriage stronger. I started a blog to talk about our journey and just life in general, it was a way for me to keep my stress off my back and just vent about good and bad things instead of telling people over and over what was new in our process.
  • stephaniecorc
    Options
    Aw, thank you for replying... you have gone through a lot so far so it means a lot to see you keeping positive for yourself and others! I am positive for the most part, but usually 1-2 days/month I start feeling all sorry for myself. I quickly change my attitude after a cry :) but it's comforting to know that it's not just ME! This affects so many people and they've had babies... It WILL happen. :) I'm just at the beginning- Month 1: clomid did help me get 2 follicles to grow, took trigger shot, had IUI, but didn't work. I'm on Month 2 too and the clomid got 1 follicle to grow, and now I'm in the 2 week wait. Fingers crossed.
    I got a PCOS diet book with ideas for things to eat. I didn't realize how much sugar is in everyday things... I started to cut that down hoping that will improve my chances. (??) Who knows!!
    Good luck with everything!!
    Stephanie
  • ShannonJohnson
    Options
    Good luck to you in you 2WW! My friend was successful after her second try with clomid and IUI so hopefully you are too!
  • powellfam2006
    powellfam2006 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, with my first Child Clomid worked after about 3 cycles...about the time I was ready to give up, I found out I was pregnant. This time around it hasn't helped, I am older now and things just don't work like they used to I guess. So she may be it, which I am thakful for. You are young and heathy, other than the PCOS, I am sure you will do fine. I was Heavy when I concived, so I think you have everything working for you. Try not to think about it, thats what worked for me, when I finally let it go, it happend.. Good Luck!
  • stephaniecorc
    Options
    aww, thank you! Good luck to you as well!!
  • angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ive had PCOS all my life as I was always irregular when I started periods. I was only officially diagnosed with it around 5 years ago. I am very overweight despite losing alot of weight and had to wait to start clomid due to this (long story), i was due to start clomid on 22 august this year bit found out i was pregnant a week before starting my fertility treatment! Ive been trying to concieve for over 4 years now and its now happened naturally. however ive just been told at 5.5 - 6 weeks (they cant be 100% sure as i dont cycle every 28 days like most women , mine is around 40-45) that its not growing and to prepare for a misscarriage....... I rly dunno how they can know that this early but there u go. I wish you luck with your journey!
  • aquapup
    aquapup Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't have a success story (yet, fingers crossed) but I was diagnosed around March. I went off birth control and had a period like clockwork for 6 months until my husband and I conceived. I only made it to 6 weeks before a miscarriage and then didn't have another period for three months so they did some blood work and diagnosed me with PCOS. I'm about to start clomid whenever I have another period. We'll see what happens. Good luck to you and here's to keeping positive.
  • ShannonJohnson
    Options
    Any news?!
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2006, but knew I had PCOS before then. In 2009, with only taking my Metformin and 300 pounds, I conceived my son, who is now 2 and nicknamed "The Captor." He's brilliant and fun. It can happen, just have faith.