stressing over weight gain

Options
LolasEpicJourney
LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
How do you deal with the stress of weight gain?

I've managed to keep my weight gain to the minimum but with only 12 weeks to go I know it's inevitable to see the number climb now.
At 28 weeks I've only put on 3 or 4 lbs, but I'm hoping to put on no more than 8-10 more

Replies

• sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why your stressing over 4lbs at 28 weeks! Worry about any weight gain after the baby comes.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm not going to be any help. My OB said NOT to stress over weight gain. Every woman is different and your baby, placenta, extra blood, etc. will all cause you to gain weight. In fact, weight gain is necessary for a healthy baby and stress is bad for the baby.

I log my food, try to eat healthy and get a workout in each day. But, I do NOT worry about my weight.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other ladies...don't stress out over the weight gain... 4 pounds in 28 weeks is awesome. The important thing is to make sure that you are eating healthy and baby is healthy too. Once baby is here you can work on losing weight, but until then don't stress over it!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    4lbs in 28 weeks is not something to stress about unless you are stressing that you are not gaining enough. There are many of us that have gained over 20lbs at the halfway marker, myself included and i eat at a deficit and workout like crazy. Worry about the weight after the baby. Now if you were at a normal weight before pregnancy I would be stressing about not gaining enough. My best advice is to talk to your doctor about how much you should gain
  • MysticLiz
    MysticLiz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    be happy that's all you've gained. I'm 28 weeks and have gained 15 lbs I hope to gain only 10 lbs, which is what a person who was average weight should gain. Good luck and don't stress too much, When baby is born you'll have all the time in the world to burn it off :)
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    you're stressing over 3-4 pounds at 28 weeks? or are you looking for affirmation that you've done well? either way, if you are eating healthily and a good amount of calories for you and baby, then try to ignore the scale if it's stressing you out. I put mine away for awhile during the first trimester as it was shooting up 2-3 pounds per week, but it's leveled off now.
  • amberpickens
    amberpickens Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    4lbs in 28 weeks is not something to stress about unless you are stressing that you are not gaining enough. There are many of us that have gained over 20lbs at the halfway marker, myself included and i eat at a deficit and workout like crazy. Worry about the weight after the baby. Now if you were at a normal weight before pregnancy I would be stressing about not gaining enough. My best advice is to talk to your doctor about how much you should gain

I'm with u on this one. my doc is so upset with me cuz I've only gained about 5lbs at 23 weeks. he said its not good for the baby. i personally think its cuz I'm losing weight other places but its not something to worry about as far as a gain. i just hope my baby is going to be fine with me only gaining 5lbs even though I'm trying to put on a lil more weight right now for the baby its just not working. i told my husband i would worry about losing the weight after the baby gets here
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

I'm with u on this one. my doc is so upset with me cuz I've only gained about 5lbs at 23 weeks. he said its not good for the baby. i personally think its cuz I'm losing weight other places but its not something to worry about as far as a gain. i just hope my baby is going to be fine with me only gaining 5lbs even though I'm trying to put on a lil more weight right now for the baby its just not working. i told my husband i would worry about losing the weight after the baby gets here

If you were underweight or a normal weight before pregnancy then only gaining 5lbs may be an issue. I would talk to your doctor to see if maybe you are not getting enough calories therefore not enough nutrients for the baby.
    On the other hand if you were overweight before pregnancy then only gaining 5lbs is perfectly acceptable. THere are tons of charts out there showing how much you should gain based upon your pre pregnancy weight.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    According to prenatal weight charts, even if you're obese, you should have gained more than 4lbs.

In fact, if your BMI was over 30 before getting pregnant, you should have gained between 6 and 12 pounds by now (28 weeks).
    At 40 weeks (full term), you should have gained 11-20lbs (if you're obese).
    If you are overweight, 15-25 lbs and if you're at a normal weight 25-35 lbs.
    If you were underweight, the recommended weight gain is 28-40 lbs full-term.
    Source: Institute of Medicine, 2009. Weight Gain During Pregnancy: Reexamining the Guidelines. Washington, DC. National Academies Press; Committee to Reexamine IOM Pregnancy Guidelines.

So yes, if I were you I would worry.
    You should worry about gaining more weight because you haven't gained enough yet! Now eat up!
  • amberpickens
    amberpickens Posts: 149 Member
    Options

If you were underweight or a normal weight before pregnancy then only gaining 5lbs may be an issue. I would talk to your doctor to see if maybe you are not getting enough calories therefore not enough nutrients for the baby.
    On the other hand if you were overweight before pregnancy then only gaining 5lbs is perfectly acceptable. THere are tons of charts out there showing how much you should gain based upon your pre pregnancy weight.
    my doc and I do use a gain chart. my problem is my body is giving my baby all my nutrient and I've been sick most of my pregnancy. so not gaining weight is a problem for me. and even though most women try to lose weight I'm trying to gain and no matter how much i try i can't gain anything. I've been at 144 for 2 months now. last time i weighted in at the doc it was the same nothing had changed. from what the chart and my doc says i should weigh in at 147-151 right now