Officially a Triathlete!

Options
SelkieDiver
SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
I completed my first sprint tri yesterday and I am absolutely stoked!! It was a 500 yard lake swim, 11 mile bike and a 5k trail run out at Hansen Dam Recreational Park in the greater Los Angeles area. I participated with 2 of my friends, each of the half-ironmen (well, women), and one of whom has done a full IM, so I was in very good hands with all the pre-race set up.

Everything went very well! 1st, I chose to wear my wetsuit, although the lake was a balmy 78 degrees. Mostly this is because I have another tri next month where I will have to wear a wetsuit, so I wanted the practice in T1. The gun for my age group went off, and I started about mid-pack. I got too far to the outside before the first buoy turn, so swam the remainder of the square toward the inside. As soon as the traffic thinned a little I lengthened my stroke and was soon passing the people in my age group, then people in the age group that went before me! I came out of the water and ran to my bike to find only one other swimmer there, and all the rest of the bikes still racked! I was tied for 1st!

For my first live transition I was pleased I kept it under 2 minutes, but I will practice to get faster. The bike went well, passing some people, being passed by others. I remembered to drink and to take a gel and I dismounted where I was supposed to. T2 was faster, but again needs more practice. I was not prepared for the run -- I realized in short order that although I have done brick workouts, I never did one where I pushed on the bike that hard. It didn't help that the trail run was mostly on loose sandy dirt about 3" thick. I ended up walking the uphills to conserve what energy I had left. I've run half marathons and have always had the energy to sprint at the end into the finish line. NOT at this race! LOL! I could pick it up a little, but certainly not to a sprint. But I did it! (note to self, save something for the run next time).

And the best part... I took 3rd place for my age group! I podiumed!! I'm just astounded, amazed and so proud I've been smiling since it happened. Me, someone who at their heaviest was 210lbs. Someone who "couldn't" run because of bad knees. Someone who used to smoke 2 packs a day (!) and counted walking the half-mile to work as all the exercise I needed. I have turned my life around so completely in the last 5 years that I am now a TRIATHLETE!

I can't wait for my next race on September 16. Its a larger, more competitive field so I probably won't make the podium, but I sure am going to try.

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
    I am so proud of you!!!!
  • blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Such an inspiration!!!! Great race triathlete!!!! :glasses:
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You should be very proud:drinker: :smile:
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    This is such exciting news!!! Congratulations!!! You R-O-C-K!!!

And, welcome to the club. It feels good to hear new triathletes feeling good.

I'm very happy for you.

TriJoe.
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It sounds like you had a great race!
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I so enjoyed reading this! Congratulations on your first tri...I'm sure the first of many to come. I especially enjoyed reading it because I will partake in my first sprint tri on October 7th and have been training hard. I have only done one brick workout, and obviously need to get more in before the tri. Thanks for sharing!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I love reading first race reports.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the successful first race! Many more to come I'm sure.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That is such a great race report. Congratulations. I am especially impressed that you did a trail run for your first tri. I think running on trails is SO MUCH HARDER!!! I know you are hooked now, so keep on doing it girl!! Great job.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!!! Way to go. I have my second sprint in 4 weeks. I took 2nd in my first one out of 4. My upcoming tri has 8 in my division. Hope I beat the other 7 :)

Keep up the great work.
  • rdennisjr
    rdennisjr Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    prime work!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    great race report and congrats on your awesome finish
  • pollard775
    pollard775 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! and Well done! Wishing you the best on future races. :smile:
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're amazing! I thoroughly expect to come in last for my first one this weekend! :)
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I have be floating on air all week - i'm still amazed that i placed. I can't let it go to my head though. I still have 3 hard weeks of training ahead of me for my "classic" distance tri on Sept 16. That first sprint sure was a morale booster though! LOL!