Tummy Troubles

Options
This post may be a little bit TMI for some of you, especially if you are a male who can't handle hearing about lady problems. Or if you can't handle talking about poop.

I am currently doing week 4 and have been having some stomach issues. I will give you a little background first. I am extremely regular when it comes to bms. As in, you could set your clock by what time I go to the bathroom every day (about 9:20am). It's freakish. This does tend to get a bit off during my period though and sometimes I will have a little diarrhea. I used to get horrible cramps, but now that I am on birth control, I get them fairly infrequently and they are not bad. All of my PMS symptoms typically occur during my actual period, not before. Because of the way my birth control is, I almost always start my period on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday of my "period pill" week--this week is my period pill week. Also as background information, you may want to know that I pretty much never vomit. Once I had food poisoning and I felt nauseous for about 2 hours until I finally puked. You also may want to know that I run at about 5:30am and do not eat before. Normally I feel great after my runs.

I did week 4 day 1 on Tuesday. Nearing the end of the second 5 minute run, my stomach started to bother me. It felt like maybe I had some diarrhea coming on and was a little nauseous as well. When I was on the cool down portion I felt like I was going to vomit on the side of the road I felt so nauseated. I chalked this up to possibly eating too late (I usually have dinner around 7-8). I thought it was odd because it was only about 60 outside that morning, but perhaps I had overdressed by wearing long sleeves. Once I got home I felt ok and I did not end up vomiting or having diarrhea. This morning I did week 4 day 2 and again, during the last 5 minute run I started to feel awful again. I actually had to stop around 4:15 because I thought I was going to have to get myself to the nearest restroom. I felt a lot better once I got home, and never actually had to use the restroom, but even now my stomach is unsettled. It was 65 out this morning, so I know that heat wasn't getting to me.

What's going on with me? Has anyone else experienced this? Is it because my period is about to start? I find it so frustrating because my legs and lungs feel like they can keep going but my stomach makes me want to curl up in the fetal position on the sidewalk. I have not had this problem with any of the past runs. Sorry this is so long winded.

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I have actually heard of "runner's runs" but I didn't think anyone would see that before we're running without intervals if we see it at all - I couldn't say that it's what's happening to you but I do know it's a real phenomena for many runners.
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues with week 4 I do mine on the treadmill and actually had to.stop running to go to the bathroom. It's very annoying.and unsettling. Makes me want to just speed walk....
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    How fast are you running? Is it possible that you are pushing yourself too hard speed wise? When I ran before (years ago), I would have stomach problems if I was trying to go faster than my body was ready to go. Does that make sense?
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was only going 3 mph... Of that's too fast, I probably shouldn't jog at all!!
  • rukcus
    rukcus Posts: 58
    Options
    I have crohn's disease (similar to IBS)and I noticed that just as I am nearing the cooldown period I have the same stomach cramps & diarrhea as you describe. I end up cutting my run short and get myself back home.

My GF suggested that I cut down on my speed and surprisingly it worked.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I have been having cramps quite a bit since last night so I am thinking that is what's causing this. I will definitely take the advice to slow down on my next run too--according to nike+, in my running portions I am typically doing about 9:30-10:00 pace, which might be a bit too fast.
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I was only going 3 mph... Of that's too fast, I probably shouldn't jog at all!!

Haha! Sounds about like my speed. Hope the issue passes soon although speedwalking is quite a workout too. When I did my first half-marathon I alternated between jogging and walking. There were some speedwalkers that passed me when I was jogging!