ABA will no long be covered

Options
restoreleanne
restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
sorry I just need to vent. Today I was told that our Insurance will no longer be covering aba. I though the law that started in July would help. No I was so Wrong. Do to my husband working for a large company they can get around the rule set up for must people. she have had ABA for 3 years and now they will no longer pay for it.

Replies

• zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    That is absolutely awful! :( I'm so sorry! I would look into contacting some advocacy groups to help you plead your case. http://www.autismvotes.org/site/c.frKNI3PCImE/b.3909853/k.BE44/Home.htm has some links that might help. An appeal to the insurance company may help them re-think their decision. How old is she? I know my daughter gets services free through the school district, although there are some autism centers around here that does therapy and they have financial aid and scholarship type programs.
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry! :( Can you take your denial letter to regional center??
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear it. Where I live it's not covered at all by insurance. Can you get the school to add it to the IEP? Or alternatively can you do some of it yourself? My child had ABA privately for a few years and I got some books from amazon to teach myself how to do it. There's also a website that has online ABA programs that you can view to teach whatever specific skills you're working on.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Ugh!!! So sorry to hear that! On the plus side that's awesome they covered any of it. We never had any covered for Chase. We could only afford it for 6 months. It's sad these kids can't always get the help they need.

In fact I kept having to appeal their decision to quit paying for speech. I manages to have it extended out until he was 8 or 9 but c'mon!!! This is a life long disablity!

:flowerforyou:
  • noahsmommie
    noahsmommie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I am so, so sorry. I can imagine how devastated you must be. How out of reach is paying out of pocket? Possibly for part time? In Michigan, ABA won't be covered until October. My husband, parents and I have been paying out of pocket (with help from other family members and fundraising.) You may be able to apply for grants? Prayers for you and your family.
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Her case worker at the regional center said if take a class they would help. Right now she is 5 and does go to a special need school. so they do a form of ABA their. With speech we learn the schools will do it for free. our insurance they would only pay for 80%. We love who Bella seen at our school better than who she seen at childrens. Becare full on thing there will be covage there are loop holes, we fit in to one. thank you for being there for me
  • pberta
    pberta Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My son has been getting ABA for about 5 years and NJ just started requiring that insurance companies pay about 2 years ago. Before that I was paying for all the sessions out of pocket and not getting anything covered. I still spend a ton of time on the phone arguing with the insurance company,having claims re-submitted and dealing with providers billing departments that just do not have a clue. It is possible that the insurance company may not understand that this is a mandatory requirement. If that is the case you should get a copy of the state bill that states that ABA therapy is mandatory and send it to them (That is what I had to do at 1st). It is also possible that the insurance plan is self funded by the company which I think could exempt them from the state requirement. If that is the case you can try to compel the company your husband works for to add coverage for ABA on the next insurance go round. I have also heard of other parents obtaining other diagnosis to cover similar therapies.