Introduction

Options
13»

Replies

• ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    @ Themoodys13 Hi it's always nice to see new faces around here!

From memory, 3 is the age which is considered a cut off point in child development. It is thought that if a child has a developmental delay and hasn't caught up to their peers by this age that it is likely that it is going to be a long term issue or that its going to take a lot more effort for them to catch up than it would below that age. I'm not an expert, but i think that that was the jist of it from the learning disability teacher, who came in to talk to us about learning disability's and autism. I'm training to be a mental health nurse and the hospital trust that i work within on placements is a mental health and learning disability trust and they have acknowledged that the two sometimes cross over. Hence why we had that lesson....

When you talked about imagination, it's not that all people with autism lack imagination, some of us are unable to tell the difference between real things and imagination...
  • Bola17
    Bola17 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi I have just found you guys :smile: although I have been on MFP for almost 2 months...

I have (like many others) a son diagnosed with asperger. He´s just turned 12 and was diagnosed in January and I am finally realising that after so many years of struggling - I have time and energy to do something for me.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    HI! My name is Lacey. I am 26 years old and a married mother of two. My son is 4 and has autism. He was diagnosed 3 months before his third birthday. He has made GREAT progress so far.
    I am SO happy that I found this group!! I was wondering if I could find fellow autism parents on this site and so glad I did. I find it hard to relate to people these days.
    Being an autism parent is hard...ieps, constant therapies, activities/events. It is no excuse but I lead a busy life and it is easy to get lost and not focus on me.
    Please add me if you guys want! Would love more friends on here! :)
  • mommyjgo
    mommyjgo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Happy humpday everyone!! I have a Facebook weight loss page that is coming up on its 1 year anniversary and it's a very supportive community for people looking to lose weight and keep it off! I have lost over 100lbs so far and I love to get the word out and help people who may not know where to start, or feel like they are in a rut. I've been there. NUMEROUS times. This journey is not a race. It's about baby steps, lifestyle changes, and I'd like to hear from you! Please follow this link to my page and Like it! I'm going to be doing a 1kx3 Fitness Challenge! I'm trying to get 1,000 Likes (49 to go!) by my page's 1 year anniversary (August 26th)! You will get to help decide what torture 1,000 of some kind of exercise) I will do to myself too (ie squats, wall-ups, pec-press', crunches, (God forbid) burpees, leg lifts, wall bridges, windshield wipers (with resistence band), toe reaches (on the wall), wall scissors, Wall slide squats etc)!!

https://www.facebook.com/uncensoredmomma
  • noahsmommie
    noahsmommie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello, New Friends! My name is Erin. My son, Noah, is five and has classical autism. He has been getting ABA for the past two years and has made AMAZING progress, but is still very much behind his peers. He is the center of our universe and all we want is for him to have the best life possible. I'm looking forward to giving and receiving support from you all in both the autism and weight loss areas of our lives.
  • pberta
    pberta Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Phill and I am the dad to a soon to be 8 year old with Autism. Having a child with special needs is challenging and sometimes very stressful. Between working and my sons many hours of therapy we do not always make the best choices for food. Fortunately we have come a long way with the type of foods he is willing to eat giving me access to choices that are better for me. I still do not have much time for exercise and I have not been to the gym in about 6 months. I look forward to hearing from other MFP's like me.
  • haribobabe
    Options
    Hello everyone
    wow what a fab group!
    I am in the UK and am a single mum to two PDD NOS teenagers, my eldest son is 18 and has just started ASD college, my other son is 15 and attends mainstream school, they were diagnosed at the ages of 4 and 2 on the same day! I will never forget that year of observation and date of diagnosis...21st December 1998..the day after that I became a single mum as their father couldn't handle it! It was the first day of the rest of my life, everything was turned upside down and my life changed, so I concentrated on my boys...they are so different from each other which can make life tricky .. but they have been my focus for the past 14 years...they are turning into wonderful young men and now it is time to start looking after me.
    I am proud proud proud of my boys who have had an incredible journey and are doing so well. Autism is a way of life in our house and we just get on with it. I have a fabulous special man who has recently entered my life and given me the confidence to do something for myself...he loves me as I am ...so I joined MFP for me...I work from home as I am on constant call for the boys and it gets lonely....so hello to all of you from me .. feel free to add me I could do with the sdupport and friendship and am willing to reciprocate :-)
    hugs x
  • karynmillar
    Options
    I am Karyn, I have two kids! My daughter is 20 months and my 4 year old was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder in January 2011. He has made huge progress with therapy and some diet changes. I love connecting with other parents who have kids on the spectrum, for how much the rates are rising I don't have anyone in my personal circle who has a child also on the spectrum...please feel free to add me
  • fmonty
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I am not autistic but my 6 year old son is. I quit work 2 years ago when he was diagnosed to better care for him. Since then I have gained 44 lbs and am now working to get it off.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Hi guys and gals,

I guess I never offiicially introduced myself. My name is Tanya and I am 32 years old. I am a mom of 4 - two boys and two girls. I started my wright loss journey in February 2012 as a way to prevent myself from becoming my mother. So far this year I am down 60 lbs and have another 60 to go. I wanted to be healthier for my children and my heart ovrsped but we always had a lot on our plates with our children so I never took the time off for me. Now I realize I have to make the time for me because without me whose going to watch out for them?

Matthew is 15 and my shy quiet guy. He was diagnosed as Aspergers about 3 years ago. He is highly functioning and interested in drawing, wrestling and building and puzzles.. Daniel is 14 and he's my rockstar. Danny is also Aspergers with a learning disability thrown in for fun! His coping mechanisms are music, (playing guitar) and anything that has wheels. He wants to be a mechanic when he grows up. The girls make life easier. Christina is my 13 year old and she is my spoiled prima donna princess, She is a trackstar with a love of music and a typical 13 year old girl. So basically boys and friends. And the there's Jessica the baby she's 11. Jessie is a straight A student who loves music, softball and getting ready to start basketball. She's my tomboy! So as you can tell we are busy. But life is good!

So feel free to add me I am looking for other autistic moms and dads to bounce ideas off of. Just want to get to know other people who have been where we are or are going thru the same things we are. Not everyone understands how intense life is for a parent with an autistic child.

Thanks
    Tanya