Exercise Anxiety

Options
threnners
threnners Posts: 175 Member
I notice an increase in my symptoms when I exercise. Any suggestions on how to get past this?

Replies

• Strawberry_1
    Strawberry_1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am the most relaxed when I am exercising! I would suggest monitoring your breathing, and relaxing you shoulders? Maybe find something you find more enjoyable or non-competitive? Hope this helps!
  • horsesalwaysknewher
    horsesalwaysknewher Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's really tough, and I have the same problem. From what I've read, the reason a lot of people with anxiety get exercise-induced anxiety is because exercise raises your heart rate, which is often a symptom of anxiety and panic attacks. Therefore, your body's reaction is to go "Oh God I'm having a panic attack!" and freak out.

The best thing I've found is to practice deep breathing on a regular basis, whether you need it or not (so it becomes second nature), so you have the ability to calm yourself down by regulating your breath. If you do a search for deep breathing for relaxation, there are a lot of free resources on the web to help you learn. This site covers deep breathing and other techniques like progressive muscle relaxation: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_relief_meditation_yoga_relaxation.htm

Also, it sounds trite, but if you can get your heart rate up and then tell yourself that there's nothing wrong, you'll be fine, and this is just your body's natural, healthy reaction to increased physical activity, you should be able to keep yourself in check with some practice. Try not to give up, either. Even if you just tell yourself you'll stick it out for five minutes, you'll gain confidence by proving that you can do it and that you'll come out OK on the other side. Good luck!
  • futuresizeeight
    Options
    I have the same issue. I used to enjoy going on long walks, but now I don't feel "safe" doing so. I find myself thinking about what would happen if I would collapse, who would find me, other icky thoughts like that. Getting flushed and feeling my heart rate rise are major triggers for me because they feel just like a panic attack.

I find I feel a bit better if I exercise in my home, because to me it's a "safe" place. One of my favorite things to do recently has been playing Just Dance 3 on my Wii. I think it's effective for me because my mind doesn't have a chance to wander when I'm trying to follow dance moves on the screen.
  • Sky_Of_Aegis
    Sky_Of_Aegis Posts: 114
    Options
    The best cure so far for me is to stop when I feel anxious. As you progress, your body starts to become accustomed to it. I have not had any exercise related anxiety lately, and it was only 4 weeks ago I started to diet and exercise again. Just take it easy, and try not over doing it until your body can adjust and react positively to it.
  • Sky_Of_Aegis
    Sky_Of_Aegis Posts: 114
    Options
    The best cure so far for me is to stop when I feel anxious. As you progress, your body starts to become accustomed to it. I have not had any exercise related anxiety lately, and it was only 4 weeks ago I started to diet and exercise again. Just take it easy, and try not over doing it until your body can adjust and react positively to it.

I play a lot of Dance Dance Revolution. Before I couldn't hit over 1,000 calories a day without triggering majorly bad anxiety attacks, then after a few weeks of progressing, I have been able to hit nearly 3,000 calories and feel good. I think sometimes what keeps my anxiety at bay is building momentum over the weeks to the point that I can do enough to tire myself out to the point I haven't enough energy to even be anxious. Sounds strange, I know, but I have actually been doing okay. I had a 3 day funk induced by anxiety nearly a week ago, but it was not related to exercise. I have been good the past few days. I have physical symptoms but I have gotten used to it. Now, I barely notice them.
  • Butterfly414
    Options
    I am currently having this problem!! I used to be so active when I was younger. I was in Marching band, and played DDR until I dropped! Now I can barely do a walk around the block and I feel like I'm going to have tons of chest pains and pass-out. I've been scared to go to the gym because of it, so I've been doing home exercises only.

I've been stopping when I feel sick...so I may get five minutes, then stop. Then come back again later and do five more minutes. The point is that every minute you are moving is a minute you're not sitting on your rear, right? I'm hoping that slowly my body will get accustomed to it and my threshold will grow higher.

I'm glad someone posted about this. Good thread!
  • Altiv
    Altiv Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I thought I was the only one with this problem! Glad to know I'm not mad nor the only one, hehe =P

My problem is as follows: when I'm going to exercise I keep thinking the routine will be too intense for me and that could five me a heart attack or something like that (and thus my heart rate rises like mad), but I'm trying to overcome this by telling me, constantly when working out, that everything is ok, that I had my heart checked and it's as good as it will ever be and I should not worry, I also exercise until I stop feeling "normal", after that I check my heart rate, to see how it's slowly descending, drink some water and see if I can continue, if not, I stop completely; in any case, after I'm done I sit for 15 minutes to calm me and then resume my normal life ;)
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm in.

I started by doing something for 12 minutes. 12 minutes on the treadmill. ( I can do that). 12 minutes on the elliptical. ( I can do that!).

Gradually your confidence will replace your anxiety. Like everyone says, focus on your breath. I count. I read. I watch game shows.

You can do it!