So how are all you caregivers doing today?

Options
I had to take Hubby to the doctor again this morning. So I didn't get to do my morning walk. So this afternoon while he napped I got out my WALK AT HOME cd and walked in the cool house and really worked up a sweat! It's nice to have other options.

Replies

• terryanne1
    Options
    Good for you! Walking inside or outside is very beneficial.
    My friend with cancer has had quite a few good days now and she's eating again. This is a very good thing, as she had a few weeks where she was barely eating anything, because she didn't feel well.
    We took the dogs out tonight - the weather has been great for walking - nice and cool.
    I hope everyone else had a good day today!
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Had a chat with my brother about how mom is doing. It is so hard to see what she was disappear. Also mixed feelings. She has Narcissistic personality disorder. So many years of hurt and brokenness are tied up in the relationship I have had with her. Now as caregiver I am learning how to let it go and be a real person. It has taken me till now to realize what she was all those years and that her inability to love me was not because I was unloveable. It is hard to be in this position. Such a big part of me wants to walk away and let her go to a home, but I know she will be so abusive to the staff tthat they won't want to take the care of her that I try to.

As her mind fades, so does some of the hatred and venom that used to be directed at my family and I. Now she is just kind of pitiful when she tries to hurt us. It still hurts, but has so much less power.

Anyway, My older girls are watching her tomorrow night and my husband and I are going to a movie. Don't really know or care what we see, just have to get out the mind game for a while.
  • m23gm25
    m23gm25 Posts: 157
    Options
    Hope you had a nice evening out. Sounds like you needed it.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Mom has a wound on her leg that we are trying to heal so she was not able to get out and go to church this morning. That is the only time she gets out of the house, except rare doctor visits, and it really disappoints her to have to miss church services.

Otherwise, we are doing okay here. I need to try to bump up my exercise and calorie counting. I've been slacking off and eating too much of that ice cream! :( I just lack self control!!!!

Hope you all are having a greate day!!!
  • m23gm25
    Options
    Doing well. No appointments today. Phil's slept most of day.
  • m23gm25
    Options
    Try Walmart's Blue Bunny sugar free 1/2 fat ice cream. It's not bad at all! Have a good day too.:flowerforyou:
  • terryanne1
    Options
    Last week was not a very good one for my friend, Pat. She hardly ate or drank anything for 3 days and when she went to the doctor on Friday, they had to hydrate her and send in a nurse on Sat and Sun to hydrate her. I was unable to take her to her appointment but had another good friend go with her. When they got home, my friend told Pat that she wasn't leaving until she ate and then made arrangements to come here on Sunday for dinner. Pat was able to go for a couple of small walks with the dogs but she looked like hell.
    I took her to see a diabetic nurse on Monday and Pat said she learned more in that 1hr with the nurse than she has in the last 7yrs with her family Dr. Many of her symptoms that we have been putting down to her chemo can also be caused by her diabetes. She's been a whole lot better these last couple of days and her sugar levels are starting to come down. I'm hoping that if she can get this under control, she may be more likely to eat better and better handle the chemo treatments.
    TNfirefly - I hope you and your husband had a nice evening out together and you were able to forget everything for a few hours.
    I hope everyone has a good rest of the week. Hang in there!:happy:
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear Terryanne.

We've also had a hectic week. My mom is a diabetic with kidney failure (as a result of the diabetes). SHe was hospitalised on Monday night due to dialysis complications. She developed pneumonia as well. On top of that her blood sugar was so high it didn't even register on the meter. The first reading we got was 33....She is on an insulin IV now.

I am really struggling to balance her needs and those of my children. My son turned 9 yesterday en we spent the afternoon at the hospital. Not really fair to him. And I wanted to cry when I apologised and his answer was: It is what it is...
  • terryanne1
    Options
    Oh, that's awful. Your son sounds like a real trooper! Reading his reply makes me want to cry.
    I hope they can get your mom's diabetes under control. It's such a horrible disease, especially when it's not in check - it affects everything - and I hope they can get her pneumonia cleared up as well.
    Don't forget that you have to take care of yourself too. We tend to forget about ourselves when we're looking after someone else and eventually, not good to anyone.
    Stay strong and don't fall into the food trap, hoping it will make you feel better - try to get out for a walk or run, even if it's only for a short while.
    I hope everything turns out ok.:flowerforyou:
  • m23gm25
    Options
    Teri Anne and Marikevr,

You are both dealing with alot! My heart goes out to both of you. I wish the best outcome for both of you. Do take care of yourselves. And Mari do tell your son how proud you are of him and plan on a make up day for him. He knows there was nothing you could have done to change things. Hang in there and try to take a long walk or run when you can it really helps with the stress.

God Bless you both,
    Lynn
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lynn!
    Got up at 4:30 yesterday to fit in a run. Husband said I went from cloudy to sunny in 40 minutes.

Mom is still in hospital, so I am driving up and down. She is so weak at the moment that maybe it is better that she is still in hospital. I am seriously considering getting a home nurse for a couple of days when she gets out. She can't even sit upright without help.

The kids are in a state, crying about everything, they miss their gran.
  • terryanne1
    Options
    Glad that you were able to get out for a run. I'm so sorry that the kids are upset and your mom is still so sick. I think it's a good idea to get some help in - it will give you a break and maybe give you some more time with the kids.
    I hope that things settle down a bit and wish you all the best.
    Take care of yourself.
  • m23gm25
    Options
    I know what you mean from cloudy to sunny in 40 minutes. When I don't get my morning walk I feel sluggish. And it takes me alot longer to get motivated to do anything. I hope your Mom gets better soon. Sounds like she's greatly missed.
    As a caregiver my job has gotten easier. When I told his doctor that my husband was sleeping at least 85% of the day he said he felt sure he had sleep apnea and was glad he had been scheduled for a sleep study. I asked if maybe it might be that he is over medicated a little. I said 'he's on 3 blood pressure meds and has the blood pressure of a hundred pound girl.' So he said,"yeah I see that." I said can we take him off the bp med they gave him after his bypass surgery? ( I have to cut it in half and its really tiny.) So he said "ok lets try that." Well that has made a pretty big difference. He still takes a nap every day but not all day. Now he is sleeping only about 60% of the day. I don't feel so much like I live alone you know?
    It sounds like you COULD use a little help when your Mom gets home. It sounds like she may require alot of care.
    Be good to yourself Mari. It makes survival more doable.
  • terryanne1
    Options
    It's been awhile since I've written anything. Things are not good for my friend, Pat.
    She had a really, really bad week last week, after chemo. She had a CT scan on Monday and it showed that her liver is much worse and the cancer has spread to her lungs. The chemo isn't working so she won't be getting it anymore.
    She's currently in the hospital, receiving hydration - hopefully, she'll feel better and will be home by the end of the week.
    I hope that her quality of life will improve now that she's done with that horrible, horrible chemo and we'll be able to have some good days.
    I wish you all well and hope that things are going a little better for all of you.
  • m23gm25
    Options
    Hi terryanne1,
    Just read your post. Sorry things are not going well for your friend Pat. I know this is a really hard time for you. I too hope you can get some quality time together. Its important. I will keep you and Pat in my prayers. Take care.
    Lynn