NOOOOOOOO!

impyimpyaj
impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
I bought my husband a PS3 way back in the dark ages when they still were backwards compatible with PS2 discs. I bought it SPECIFICALLY because of that. So we've had it a while. What, like 5 years? It's been our movie player, since we don't have a separate DVD/blu-ray player. So it gets used pretty hard.

Last night we were watching The Hunger Games, and suddenly it just powered off, like the electricity had blinked. And it wouldn't give back the disc, and it wouldn't turn on, and it was terrible! I was so sad.

My husband stayed up scouring the interweb and found out how to get it working temporarily so that we could at least get the movie out. And he has PSPlus, so all his game saves are in the cloud. But... I don't. As of this moment, I have no way of retrieving my game saves. The fix is totally temporary, and the system will definitely die for good, it's just a matter of time. He's going to try to get a new one and do a data transfer, but if this one craps out again before that happens, I am going to lose everything. My Skyrim. Kingdoms of Amalur. Portal 2 (which I already finished, but dang!). Little Big Planet 2. FFXII (yes, I'm still working on that one). Mass Effect 2 (oh, that one HURTS!).

Remember how in another thread I was talking about how he and his brother lost their Heavy Rain save? I think this might hurt a lot worse than that.

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Im not sure if its more painful to lose the games you had saved or if its more painful to lose the PS3 that was backwards compatible since you cant get those anymore. Its the ONE thing i hate about the playstation, i cant use the old games on the new consoles. and with the PS4 coming soon, it looks like it wont be backwards compatible with the PS3 games :(

le sigh...gaming

Sorry to hear its broke. I hope you get all your saved data off there at least, so you dont ahve to redo all that time and effort.
  • impyimpyaj
    Im not sure if its more painful to lose the games you had saved or if its more painful to lose the PS3 that was backwards compatible since you cant get those anymore. Its the ONE thing i hate about the playstation, i cant use the old games on the new consoles. and with the PS4 coming soon, it looks like it wont be backwards compatible with the PS3 games :(

le sigh...gaming

Yeah, it's a little of both. But we do still have our old PS2. It's just been in the bedroom, but we'll bring it back out. I don't understand what's so freaking difficult about making them backwards compatible. Nobody has room for 4 different systems from the same company. At least, we don't.
  • *Hugs Impyimpyaj* ALL your saves are completely gone?! I can't even begin to imagine how heartbroke/pissed you were. All those hours put in... *Gives another hug*

I recently discovered that my level 85 warrior in Skyrim completely disappeared - no idea where Asha could be - housing in every major city, competely leveled blacksmithing....ever-y-thing. Broke my heart knowing I would have to start all over again. Not even a drop in the bucket that is your sorrow.

EDIT: Oh yes, and the backwards compatible PS3?! *placing you on suicide watch* :flowerforyou:
  • impyimpyaj
    *Hugs Impyimpyaj* ALL your saves are completely gone?! I can't even begin to imagine how heartbroke/pissed you were. All those hours put in... *Gives another hug*

I recently discovered that my level 85 warrior in Skyrim completely disappeared - no idea where Asha could be - housing in every major city, competely leveled blacksmithing....ever-y-thing. Broke my heart knowing I would have to start all over again. Not even a drop in the bucket that is your sorrow.

I'm REALLY hoping it'll stay workable until he can do a transfer. He tried to do it with a USB hard drive we have, but it's not recognizing it (even though it did before). So I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it will still turn on long enough to do the transfer. I kind of doubt it though.
  • Alliwan

le sigh...gaming

Yeah, it's a little of both. But we do still have our old PS2. It's just been in the bedroom, but we'll bring it back out. I don't understand what's so freaking difficult about making them backwards compatible. Nobody has room for 4 different systems from the same company. At least, we don't.

We dont either! so annoyed that if i get a PS4 i gotta keep my ps3 and ps2 still since daughter loves to play some old ps2 games like Wild Arms series :(

I also dont understand how hard it could be to maket them backwards compatible. Id think you'd sell more games/systems if they were as ppl would still pick up title's they like from the old school days.
  • impyimpyaj

We dont either! so annoyed that if i get a PS4 i gotta keep my ps3 and ps2 still since daughter loves to play some old ps2 games like Wild Arms series :(

I also dont understand how hard it could be to maket them backwards compatible. Id think you'd sell more games/systems if they were as ppl would still pick up title's they like from the old school days.

I agree. Plus, it's only one system to replace when it goes bad, instead of 3 or 4 different ones. They all have about the same shelf life, it seems (except that silver PS2 we have), so how annoying is that to have to replace all of them instead of just one?

I honestly think they're relying on the online market to get those people who want the old-school games. Which is really nice for newer gamers, but it sucks for those of us who have been in it since the 80's. We have so many PS and PS2 games. It will be sad if we ever get to a point that we don't have anything that will play them. My husband has every single Final Fantasy that's ever been published in the States, and I bought him the Lunar 2 Complete edition for our anniversary a few years ago. It sucks that they'll soon be obsolete and unplayable. It's bad enough that we had to give up our cartridge games for lack of a system. But these are all on discs. It shouldn't be that difficult.
  • Alliwan

I agree. Plus, it's only one system to replace when it goes bad, instead of 3 or 4 different ones. They all have about the same shelf life, it seems (except that silver PS2 we have), so how annoying is that to have to replace all of them instead of just one?

I honestly think they're relying on the online market to get those people who want the old-school games. Which is really nice for newer gamers, but it sucks for those of us who have been in it since the 80's. We have so many PS and PS2 games. It will be sad if we ever get to a point that we don't have anything that will play them. My husband has every single Final Fantasy that's ever been published in the States, and I bought him the Lunar 2 Complete edition for our anniversary a few years ago. It sucks that they'll soon be obsolete and unplayable. It's bad enough that we had to give up our cartridge games for lack of a system. But these are all on discs. It shouldn't be that difficult.

We still have a PSone and a FF7 floating around here....goofy
  • impyimpyaj

We still have a PSone and a FF7 floating around here....goofy

I have no idea what happened to our PSOne. I know that I had stolen it from him when we were dating so I could play FF7 and ChronoCross, and I brought it with me when we moved in together right before our wedding. But I don't know where it is now.
  • impyimpyaj
    Maybe the solution to all of this is to turn the basement bedroom into a media room, and then we WILL have space for all of these systems. :drinker:

But it still doesn't help my game save situation. Seriously, if he can't get them transferred, I don't know if I can go through it again. I was over halfway through ME2, and I have a good 16-20 hours in Amalur. And considering that those hours were hard-won, since I don't get time to play that often, I just don't know if I can do it.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    QUICK..... go here!!!

www.gadgetgururepair.com

See if there is a repair store near you. My condolences, but these guys saved me from all that hassle. For only 80 bucks!
  • impyimpyaj
    QUICK..... go here!!!

www.gadgetgururepair.com

See if there is a repair store near you. My condolences, but these guys saved me from all that hassle. For only 80 bucks!

thanks, but no dice. We haven't been able to find a repair shop who can handle it around here.
  • impyimpyaj
    Good news!

He got a new PS3 with trade-in credits he had saved up, and it came with a free one-month sub to PSPlus. So I signed up for that, and got most of my game saves uploaded to the cloud before it died again. Not all, but at least the important ones. *phew*

Still sad about our entire library of PS2 games that we now have to play on the crappy tv in the bedroom since we don't have room for it in the living room entertainment center. Blah. Plus, it's UGLY. The new one isn't even shiny. I like shiny things!