What should a PCOS warrior be and not be eating?

Options
Doozer1978
Doozer1978 Posts: 61 Member
Morning all,

I have recently made friends with a wonderful MFP member who has been giving me some advice regarding PCOS (British health system is dire and we get NO information here). She has very kindly brought to my attention a few pointers regarding carb/sugar consumption.

So in a bid for more knowledge I ask you lot.....

What should someone with PCOS be steering towards and away from?

What changes should I be making to my diet?

Thank you all,

Doozer xx

Replies

• remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know more as well. I have mostly just been told to lower carbs/sugar but I'm not sure how much, or what exactly to focus on eating :)
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS w/ insulin resistance AND hypothyroidism. My Dr. put me on a low carb diet. 50 carbs NET (carbs - fiber = net carbs) to be exact. This is pretty low. All of my carbs now come from fruit, veggies, and a little bit of whole grain. It wasnt until I started this that I began to lose weight. I also take 1500mg of Metformin per day.. well, thats what I am supposed to take anyway.

Low carb is not for everyone. I see a lot of people do well on 100 NET carbs. The QUALITY of your carbs is whats important as well. My Dr. said to stay away from flour, sugar, starches like white rice and potatos, etc. Fruits and Veggies!!! I eat a lot of berries because they are lower in carbs and high in fiber compared to some other fruits like oranges and watermelon. I also eat a lot of lean protein and healthy fats like avocados, coconut oil, etc. I have my moments where I give in.. usually to Mexican food or wine... or both!!! LOL! I also try to stay away from "processed" foods if I can help it - like meal replacement bars, etc. They may be low carb/high fiber but they are also full of other junk. I like to eat almonds and pistachios with some strawberries for a snack. Just as filling and not so many chemicals!!!

Anyway, I have found that this works for me and I am losing weight. Slowly, but I am losing. I also dont pay SUPER close attention to the calories. I have my daily goal set at 1800 and usually end up under but I find that if my carbs are low, my calories are usually low anyway. I do make sure to stay under 2000 calories unless I do a tremendous amount of exercise. Even though the weight loss is slow, I cannot tell you how much BETTER I feel!!! I am not as tired and lethargic as I was before. Like I said, LC isnt for everyone but from all the stuff I have read - for PCOS, it is the way to go.

Good luck! I hope you find what works for you. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!! :smile:

**also - I have an open food diary so feel free to take a look if you like. The past week has been rough for me but go a little farther back and its more consistent. My internet has been down at home so my logging for the past week has been off**
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Everone generally finds what works for them as the lower carbs. I will tell you that every case is individual but my Dr formulated a meall plan for me. It is 5 meals a day(3 meals and 2 snacks). I should aim for 1976 calories but I often go over as I love good food. It is about 15%-20% carbs. My testosterone level has dropped from 42 to 20. I tired Metformin but all it gave me was diarrhea so I stopped taking it against their advice.

I was a serious sweet addict but without the Metformin I can feel when I eat wrong. I went from eating candy or cake everyday to eating it only on weekends, usually Saturday. My Dr. told me to prepare for not losing weight and I was but I have lost a few pounds. My cycle is still not normal. It has been occuring twice per month. So I will be taking my BC pill differently for the next few months to try to alter it.
  • Doozer1978
    Options
    Thank you very very much for the information so far...... I will Definately be taking a look at your food diary if you don't mind.
    Right - if low carbs is where it is at then that's what I will try.

Can I ask what foods you generally eat?
    I have gone out today and bought myself some quinoa???? And am now going to set to with things to do with it and some sweet potatoes. I have been told that legumes are good.......

........brown rice and wholewheat pastas.......what else peoples?????

Xx
  • lizettye
    lizettye Posts: 12
    Options
    hey, i go to a dietician for a specific diet- I haven't been the best - but I can mail it to you if you want??
  • noahsmommie
    noahsmommie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was once told by a dietitian not to eat more than 15 grams of sugar per meal. She didn't specify to limit carbs other than that.
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Check out the Insulin Resistant Diet (http://www.amazon.com/The-Insulin-Resistance-Diet-Revised-Updated-Fat-Making/dp/0071499849). It makes alot of sense. I have to admit I have not been following it - I am losing weight currently just by watching my calorie intake. If (most likely when) my weight loss stalls, this is my plan.
  • Doozer1978
    Options
    April - cheers....I will!

xx
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have been doing South Beach diet for less than a year and have lost 51 pounds. The carbs are my hard part. Sometimes I over do it. When they start being a problem, I just cut them out and get back on track.
  • Doozer1978
    Options
    51lbs that is awesome! I keep hearing about this South Beach diet.....we don't hear about the different diets over here (uk). I am going to have a look! Cheers!
  • Nicmania10
    Nicmania10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Excellent information.

Thanks Ladies!
  • tingle2
    tingle2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If anyone wants it I have some meal plans for PCOS - they are weekly meal plans and you can play with them but they are good.

It's really important to try and eat as clean as possible!

Also there is a website that send out great newsletters with helpful info www.pcosdiva.com

Thanks!
    Amanda
  • ElysiaBliss
    Options
    I'm interested in the meal plans :)

I'm only just starting to monitor and change what I'm eating in regards to my pcos and hypothyroid, I would never take much notice, but with my weight slowly creeping up over the years, I'm over it and ready to get rid of it.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I think low carb can mean alot of different things to people. It really isn't the carbs and much as how much is coming from sugar. You can eat WHOLE grains and still be successful. Some people though have to lower their carbs to a very low amount, I think you would have to really pay attention to your body and experiment and start at a low end and keep raising them until you stop losing, would probably give you a better idea what your body can tolerate.

I personally don't "count" my carbs, but I try to make my diet pretty much just lean proteins, tons of veggies, lighter on the fruit (especially the high sugar ones), and limit my grains, but don't completely cut them out all the time.

Another thing that may help is to look up the glycemic index and it will show you how foods affect your blood sugar.

Because PCOS can differ from each person, some have way more severe cases then others, and as frustrating as it can be, you have to find what your body will respond to the best.

I know since I have been eating a mostly all whole food diet, and limiting the carbs slighty, alot of my symptoms have either disappeared or lightened quite a bit.

Feel free to friend me if you need some added support. Always helps having friends that are in the same boat as you!

Good Luck to all you wonderful ladies :)
  • Smiler_84
    Options
    This very good information. Thanks a lot ladies. I have personally been past from pillar to post with my DR. Firstly saying I dont have PCOS I pleaded with him saying I have access hair on my face which is knocking my confidence, my cycle is not regular & I feel my depression coming back as well as gaining weight. So I demanded I have a blood test and then as I predicted the DR said I do have PCOS.

Now I have been told I have it for sure I was then told there is zero they can do for me and all I can do is loose more weight and it will sort itself out and i can have the combined contreceptive pill which could help minimise my excess hair. But other than this my DR hasnt given me halve the information you ladies have given. As its been ssaid before UK Doctors dont seem to be as understandng or clued up on this but thanks to this group Im learning a lot and I see a light at a never ending dark tunnel I thought I had infront of me.

Thank you again.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'd look into low glycemic load, that is what I use as a guideline. I eat a fairly high carb diet which works for me but the type of carbs matter. South beach diet is a good intro to glycemic load.