Newbie needing large loss

Options
I’m 31, 5”11 and weigh 20st11lbs.
I’ve put the weight on gradually since I entered my teens, but in the last 2-3 years I’ve gained about 5stone.
I have all the excuses; shift work, too tired to cook, can’t lose weight etc but they don’t really mean anything.
I've realised that my weight it holding me back, its already stopped me living my life to the full and i don't want to ruin the rest of my life.

I’ve thought long and hard about what diet I what to do and pretty much discounted everything. I know if I ban food on meal replacements diets of go very low calorie I will not succeed. I'm not wonderful at Calorie Counting and initiatially discounted it plumping just to go healthy.

Someone on another forum suggested this site to me; and the really fantastic app and i signed up yesterday and i really like how easy it is to use.
Haven't really got anyone to talk to about my weight battle so would love some friends in similar situation to me.

Thanks

A xx

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    sent a friend request:)

I also felt that I'd never manage meal replacements or vlc (never done more than a few days of either in the past) and didn't think I'd keep up with the cal counting - but mfp has made it pretty easy (even easier if you have a smart phone and can always input food on the spot - unlike me!). I've been here 7 months now, and have only missed logging food when I can't access the internet. I have got much fitter and healthier, learned a lot, and found some really supportive friends. Still got a long way to go, but I believe I can do it now:)
  • amyjax
    amyjax Posts: 102
    Options
    Hi Pink, I'm very similar to you. I'm 28, 5'11" and 19st 2lbs. I've always been big, at least in my own perception (when I see photos of me in my teens now I can't believe how NOT BIG I was) but have put on about three/four stone in the last four/five years. I've tried every diet under the sun, you name it, I've done it, and I've never had long-term success. MFP has really boosted my confidence, I've lost 5.5lbs in the two weeks since I started using the site and app, and in the first week I wasn't even following any kind of eating plan, just watching my calories. I'm just starting my second week of low-carbing, so hopefully when I weigh myself next weekend I'll have another loss. :) The one thing I can advise is KEEP TALKING - take advantage of the wealth of help and advice available on the message boards and in groups, as well as from your friend-stream on your home page. It really helps you to stay on track. x
  • Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I am 5.4 and was 17 st at the age of 20. By 25 i had lost 7 stones and I have been keeping most of it off for the last 17/18 years the last few years it has gotten harder and then I since I quit smoking on January.... well I can do with some support too :-)
  • valkyriegirl44
    valkyriegirl44 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi "waves" i'm 5.7 and weight a couple of stones less than my age. Im going to be 20 in october and have just finished my first year at university. I have always been overweight since high school and have tried to lose the weight countless amount of times. I started using MFP when i got a smartphone but only lightly counting calories. However, half way through my first year at uni I still felt really big and my weight was not going down so I used the app to put in my calories ate a lot healthier and did more exercise. I have now lost just over a stone. This app being able to put in calories and the support you recieve from the people on here helps a lot. I hope you have as much sucess and I have sent a friend request, feel free to add me its nice to give to support to anyone on here, good luck with your weight loss. :smile:
  • lisar2809
    lisar2809 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I need to lose a lot of weight too! 70lbs :blushing: I'm starting off with a goal of 1 pound and a half per week and will review it as and when. I've joined weight clubs before but find I just stop going to meetings. I really want to get healthy as my family has a history of heart disease and everything that goes with it. I have two young children and my biggest fear is leaving them motherless from something I could prevent by getting fit. My sister has an underactive thyroid and she has lost 40lbs so far with MFP- she found everything else so hard!. She has an iphone so the app is really handy.
    I'm also going to plan my food out a few days ahead using the tracker (if I can) so I know what foods to buy and prepare.
    Good luck everyone :bigsmile:
  • bijoux79
    bijoux79 Posts: 79
    Options
    Hi all, Im 33, 5ft 0 and weighed 15stone. I managed to put on 5 stone in the last 5 years (having 3 children in 4 years). I have lost 2 stone so far in a little over 2 months and would like to loose another 3 stone buy June 2013. Good luck everyone with your journeys and feel free to add me if you like.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    Hiya,

i am at the end of a journey which started off much like what you describe up there with the same age and same weight - i had never run a mile in my life - anything that meant getting out of breath was considered not important and too hard, i was unfit and overwieght and as such i considered myself not able to excersize.

this is how i kept to it:-
    "you are not on a diet, you have changed your diet" :) - if you are on a diet a diet can be broken :)

if you intend on excersising in a gym people will call you a "Gym freak" - "nope, you just want to be healthy"

people will ask "how much weight have you lost?" say "i dont really count, i try to be fit and any related weight loss is a bonus"

what you are aiming for is a lifestyle change, you must want this change and it must be IMPORTANT to you. - it is worth it beleive me, its almost like a re-birth.

i will give you a heads up on how much easier it is just to walk around, up stairs etc when you have reached your target... i liken it to carrying two bags of cement around all day, everyday.... HARD WORK, i woulndt do it, would you?

at the end of your transition the smiles you get when you see photographs of yourself in nice clothes - hardly believing it is you is worth every ouch of sweat, every pain, every tear.

i hope i dont sound condesending but you must REALLY want this, positivity is the key, the only person stopping you is yourself - the sky is the limit.
  • jetsmaw
    jetsmaw Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am insanely jealous of your height! I would love to be tall.

i'm 30 something 5'5" and about 14 st - cant afford new clothes so had to do something about it. I find the MFP process of logging everything makes it so much easier to keep on top of things and adding exercise calories is strangely rewarding.

I wish you all the best in your weightloss journey!
  • Gezza2604
    Gezza2604 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello, Newbie here

I'm 44, 5ft 6 and when I started on Sunday, weighed in a just under 17stone.....so firstly, you're not alone!!

I lost around 4.5 stone 18 months ago thru Dukan (v low carbs) and was getting my head around to going back to Dukan when a friend of mine on Facebook mentioned MFP.... I guess my perception of super low carbs is that without doubt, the weight drops off like a stone, but WOW! it comes back quickly too!

Ive gained around 3.5 stone since Christmas!! - Keep blaming my Mum who died in Feb, but there's a limit to how much comfort eating one girlie can do....

So here I am - finding LOADS of inspiration - Looking at your Ticker - looks like you've had great success.

Would love some new friends, so feel free to add me

Gerryx
  • Gezza2604
    Gezza2604 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What an inspirational post! - will remember to read this one again when I hit my inevitable brick wall

x
    Hiya,

i am at the end of a journey which started off much like what you describe up there with the same age and same weight - i had never run a mile in my life - anything that meant getting out of breath was considered not important and too hard, i was unfit and overwieght and as such i considered myself not able to excersize.

this is how i kept to it:-
    "you are not on a diet, you have changed your diet" :) - if you are on a diet a diet can be broken :)

if you intend on excersising in a gym people will call you a "Gym freak" - "nope, you just want to be healthy"

people will ask "how much weight have you lost?" say "i dont really count, i try to be fit and any related weight loss is a bonus"

what you are aiming for is a lifestyle change, you must want this change and it must be IMPORTANT to you. - it is worth it beleive me, its almost like a re-birth.

i will give you a heads up on how much easier it is just to walk around, up stairs etc when you have reached your target... i liken it to carrying two bags of cement around all day, everyday.... HARD WORK, i woulndt do it, would you?

at the end of your transition the smiles you get when you see photographs of yourself in nice clothes - hardly believing it is you is worth every ouch of sweat, every pain, every tear.

i hope i dont sound condesending but you must REALLY want this, positivity is the key, the only person stopping you is yourself - the sky is the limit.
  • corke1853
    Options
    Really enjoyed reading this post and will definately be referencing it when i have those down days, thank's for sharing the positivity on here and congratulations on your results