Fridays Child.....8/24/12

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
I apologize for being late! I had to be a work super early for the IMMUNIZATIONS of our little bundles of joy and teens etc before school starts!!!
Speaking of....the challenge today is How are you preparing your child for school...specifically the school lunch? If school lunch is not an issue how are you going to make their breakfast or after school snack healthier! I am sure everyone has heard of the perils of the Obesity in our children.

If you have not thought of it start now! What are you planning??? Their health habits start with you!

Peace,
WW

Replies

• bebifal
    bebifal Posts: 98
    Options
    I don't have any kids, but this is a good challenge for those with kids.
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I home school but that certainly does not mean they are not subjected to junk foods. I do not buy the obvious junk and I try my darndest to keep fresh fruits and vegeatables on hand. In my house it is every man for himself for breakfast and lunch; at dinner either myself, husband or daughter make dinner. Now if I could just get them to not eat sooo much pasta. I guess I will have to stop buying that too.
  • lorih1973
    Options
    My kids are super healthy eaters...They prefer to have fresh fruits and veggies in the house to munch on. My youngest son takes after his dad. Can eat anything and stays thin...so jealous of that metablolim... My oldest is good too he just has to work a little harder to stay fit, he is 19 so he's on he makes his own healthy eating choices. As for breakfast...no junk cereals in the house those are summer treats, oatmeal, cream o wheat or eggs are the only options for school breakfasts. Just how it is and always has been since they started school :)
  • Turtlehugger
    Turtlehugger Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I bought myself a new bento box so I can bring my lunch to work. Hoping to help with portion control.
  • fajeeta
    fajeeta Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Started making lunches a few years ago for the kids. It was awful at first trying to get them to eat healthy stuff. But I'd take them shopping and have them pick out their own lunches and made it a game. "OK, you've got the protein...where's the vitamin C coming from? How bout some grains/ fiber? Cool. What kind of veggie something can we get in there?"

We've gotten pretty creative. What's better, they're even more open now to trying crazy stuff than ever in our lives.
  • debbiemacfarlane
    debbiemacfarlane Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have started buying carrots already cleaned and ready to eat. I actually bought them for my dog as a treat but i put them out with dip and the kids gobble them up. If it is easy to make and ready they will eat it. I give a choice with what fruit they want and they always get 100% fruit juice. This is not optional although they try hard for the sugary stuff. They are not big on ready made sandwiches so i pack everything separately and they build it themselves. Something about soggy bread :o). I do pack a granola bar covered in chocolate or some sweet snack as well.

I buy options but mostly the kids make there own lunch. I think this year since I am making my own lunch instead of buying it. I will make theres as well. Thanks for the reminder
  • arfester
    arfester Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am planning on packing instead of having my kids buy the school lunches everyday. My guys love unsweetend applesuace in their lunches. And I usally just send a bottle of water for them to drink.
  • sreed600
    Options
    Thanks for this challenge, although I don't have kids in school but the same applies to packing my own lunches for work, it is way too easy to hit the fast food 1/2 block away from the office....

When I am on top of things, making 2 or 3 salads instead of just one, and portioning out the fruits and veggies right when I bring them home from the store helps, that way I grab containers put them in the lunch box and can get out the door pretty quickly.