Finding Appropriate Exercises in the database

Options
I just started using this site, having just gotten my first ever smart device, and I'm finding the database rather cumbersome to navigate. But forging on ahead, I'm entering things (usually from USDA or other rather official primary source type of info) and letting it free to float into use.

I can't find useful info, tho, about exercise. Let me give the example that prompts this:

Tonight, I went to the local mall to go to the Apple Store to get an older laptop checked out for some flakiness. My husband dropped me off at the entrance we thought was closest. I saw on the map that the store was very close to the center, however, called him to tell him so he'd know where to go as he was carrying the backpack with the machine, and I proceeded to work on getting there.

I ended up walking all the way to the center of the mall, down one floor on the escalator, around (backtracking) to the other side of the large atrium; concluded I was on the wrong floor, walked back to the escalator, and down another flight, which is the first place I found a place to sit. I *had* stopped, and leaned against the center railing as a way to stretch out my hip (which is being cranky this month), but I hadn't sat down. After about 3 minutes (and a cell call to my husband who was at the Apple store and wondering where I was) I went back up one flight on the escalator, and as it happens about halfway back to the entrance I came in. My husband estimates that from the time he dropped me off to the time I got to the store was about 30 minutes.

The *SLOWEST* walking I can find in the database is "Walking, 2mph, slow pace" - but I seriously doubt I was going that fast. Am I missing something? 'Stroll' didn't find anything, nor does 'disabled' which was a long-shot try.

As it is, I put in 15 minutes, figuring that would roughly map out to the short distance, the long time, the fact that I'm carting my very large body around, and had two layers of clothing on. (not worth going into why in this post.)

Any better suggestions?

(oh, and hi - new here, not trying to lose, just trying to figure out what, if anything, I do in general. More concerned about carbs than calories, and get 90% of my 'exercise' in a 'warm pool' where I take physical therapy. Chronic pain for nearly 5 years, collection of "Well, it *might* be >this<" diagnoses... yay docs. :/ )

Replies

• squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm buying a heart rate monitor to (more) accurately measure calories burned, as it will vary so much from person to person.
    There are some of the monitors that are waterproof.

On the other hand, you've said your main concern is carbs, so maybe an estimate will be enough. I think it's a positive to track any exercise you do. I should do more of that, to be honest. Well, will do when I get the monitor.

Welcome to the board.
  • queueplay
    Options
    I'm buying a heart rate monitor to (more) accurately measure calories burned, as it will vary so much from person to person.
    There are some of the monitors that are waterproof.

Thanks for the idea. I'll see if I can find any I can afford.
    On the other hand, you've said your main concern is carbs, so maybe an estimate will be enough. I think it's a positive to track any exercise you do.

I agree. I'd just like to be able to do so without such extreme guesstimating, requiring War And Peace length explanations in the notes (even if only to myself).
    I should do more of that, to be honest. Well, will do when I get the monitor.

Welcome to the board.

Good luck to you, and thank you.