New Plan of Action

Options
Started Crave Action Plan and some of Daniel fast from Saddleback Church praying the antiinflammatory foods will help fight the pain and be able to move better.

Replies

• LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Very good luck with that, WomanAtTheWell. I know from experience how important keeping antiinflammatory foods out of your system in order to control the arthritis pain. I also have to keep moving - stationery bike or elliptical for an hour each day. Seems contradictory but it works!

What are some of your trigger food for inflammation?

Mine? - Refined sugar.

-Debra
  • womanathewell
    womanathewell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know the pastas cause me to become very sluggish.Sugars and diet soda cause muscle stiffness and lots of pain. What about you? I love to go to the YMCA's Hot pool but have not been there due to reaction to chlorine.Lots of kids so they upped the level. they are now back in school so i hope to restart.
  • morninglory5782
    morninglory5782 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Aah and darned pasta...have you considered trying a gluten free diet?
  • womanathewell
    womanathewell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No i did not. have you ever been on one?
  • queueplay
    Options
    A very good resource is WWW.celiac.com - it's one of the oldest websites on the web, has lots of good info. When I was looking there a few months ago, one thing I found among the info is that there are three general levels of gluten problems - can't have any at all, no, really, none! ; this ingredient makes me really unhappy but I will only wish I was dying not actually be in any danger; and oh no I ate that again, here's to spending the next hour or so in the bathroom.

Which level of sensitivity you have will determine how frantic you have to be about avoiding it. Finding out all the foods that have gluten in them innately (wheat, barley), which have none but get it through contamination so much that most avoid them (oatmeal!), which have it added (salad dressing !?), and which have none, may well be the most interesting - I found it so.

Ultimately, we found that we'd have to cook food for me completely separately, as in a complete other meal, most of the time, for me to go gluten free. My situation is compounded by the fact that rice and corn cause me to seriously retain water in my hands and feet, making it a really bad idea for me to use most wheat/gluten substitutes.

Good luck!
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The stuff we choose to eat truly truly makes our arthritis or other allergy effects on our bodies better or worse. It's a lesson hard learned for me because I had to change habits learned all the way back from before the womb!!! (rolls eyes shakes head)

I hope you can too. First I followed the No Inflammation Diet, which is basically just eating greens greens and lots of greens. Any thing else is to be natural and organic. Then, a friend recommended "Younger Next Year for Women" which put the fitness aspect of it in perspective for me. With arthritis, ironically, moving the joints regularly and vigorously for an hour a day without pressure (which means stationary bike or on special days elliptical for me) works tremendously WITH the good diet to keep the pain and stiffness away. Then, that same friend recommended Bob Harper's "The Skinny Rules" which then tweaked my diet as far as amounts and timing of types of food.

I love it and it is now very livable for me. I'm thankful everyday that I can use my own to feet and walk myself to and fro!!! I'm a university student so do lots of walking every day. I don't see many electrict wheelchairs around - I've seen one. So THAT is what I'm working to avoid!!!

-Debra
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Gluten is my trigger. I have EDS - hypermobility - and Fibromyalgia, and I've found that being gluten free keeps my pain at bay. I've also found that the more I lose, the less pain I have. So. I need to be gluten-free. It's incredibly difficult to stick to when I don't have the stomach issues that initially caused me to go gluten-free, so I'm going to need to get back to it. As I eat my bagel. Full of gluten.

Anyway. Gluten is my big one. I was gluten-free for 8 months before I started introducing gluten back into my diet. I was pregnant and was losing weight instead of gaining... I lost 15 lbs in the first 4 months of my pregnancy. The pain stayed away until a few months after my baby was born, which was magical - until the day it came back. Now I need to go gluten-free again!

Sorry for the rambling - and good luck!

Kristin