Patti Smith fans??

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
I posted in chitchat.. but there have to be some of us here besides me who think she's a goddess.. and she just came out with a new album.. and talk about skinnnnyyyy!

Replies

• jerber160
    Options
    I'm shocked here. stunned really.. no gay patti fans? areyakiddinme?
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Oh, me! I'm stuck in the past, though - I need to check out the new stuff!
  • jerber160
    Options
    Oh, me! I'm stuck in the past, though - I need to check out the new stuff!
    it's her first in i think 8 years.....on order!!!!
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hey, just saw you post! Yes, have been a Patti fan - like what 1979? Haven't seen or heard from her in years - a couple years ago she did a documentary - would have to look it up.
  • jerber160
    Options
    Kev-she's been back periodically... documentary was great.. a few years ago she wrote a book, Just Kids about her young life, centering on her relationship with robert mapplethorpe. Gung Ho was a few years ago...terrific. her catholic/anti-catholic spiritual side has always been intriguing. Her latest, BANGA just came in mail yesterday and I was too tired to listen to it.. AND- I met her. I'm lucky enough to live in Pittsburgh... and she did an exhibition at the Warhol Museum featuring her work after 911. There was the opening art show (remarkable poignant work) and I picked up copies of Strange Messenger - the book that accompanied the show,, had them signed and sent them as christmas presents to college friends. The following night we had a concert that was devastating. I got there a little late so instead of finding my way to my seat I stood in the back.. it was crushing.. Ghost Dance tied to 911 was unbelievable.. I LOVE HER....
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I only really know her from her hit single "Because the Night" although I've seen her perform on TV and heard other tracks on the radio, none have really been my kind of thing. She was on the radio here in the UK recently promoting her new album.

I also found out that she was last year's recipient of the Polar Music Prize - which is like the Nobel prise for music.

It's fantastic that she's still performing and recording and has that fire in her belly.
  • jerber160
    Options
    Kyle.. I know this is weird... but I would have made a great liberal arts major.. as it is, my education is spotty. so the long story is, I took myself to London for my 50th bday.. ended up at the national gallery,, and was simply overwhelmed by the beautiful work. I found I was gravitating toward many paintings of John the Baptist. John in the wilderness, John as a young boy,, John beheaded... the variety of the same life seen through many artists' eyes was thrilling.... all gathered in the same place....So Patti has this song called Lo and Beholden... telling the tale from Salome's view... a girl caught up in something larger... "for beauty and the naked truth, it will cost you.." it's a haunting tune and slipped right into my London experience. I know I can be a simpleton, but she's a true artist, and goddess....
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check out her newer stuff. Because the Night is my favorite though.
  • jerber160
    Options
    EASTER.. yeah baby... i LOVE dancing barefoot too....as far as 'classic patti' goes.
  • rumandreason
    rumandreason Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Love that woman. She's so bloody cool. Plus she is hot too! Really like KT Tunstall's tribute to her 'Suddenly I see' too..
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that Patti was also a writer ... must try and find her books

http://www.nme.com/news/patti-smith/54699

http://nyheter.henningmankell.se/?p=1529&preview=true&lang=en
  • jerber160
    Options
    someone once called her a pretty poet priestess. poet, artist, goddess.. all fit..
  • RNYcindee
    Options
    I too like Patti Smith but I really like the old stuff, you have good taste!:smile:
  • RNYcindee
    Options
    Oh, by the way one of Patti's best friends is Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys!
  • livingrose
    Options
    Here!

Looking forward to seeing her for the 2nd time in 2 weeks!
  • jerber160
    Options
    Here!

Looking forward to seeing her for the 2nd time in 2 weeks!
    annnd:::. no up date??????? please?