Online Dating - Who makes the first move?

Options
So I've started the whole online dating thing...oy vay! I'm wondering though, are men expecting women to make the first move? I don't mind putting myself out there but it would be nice to be the one being chased. Am I expecting too much wanting a man to contact me first? I've gotten several profile views, but no one makes the first move...unless it's me! Maybe we're all so afraid of rejection we don't want to put ourselves out there...which means we'll be single forever and the world population will dwindle because no one is procreating...OMG the world IS going to end!!!!!!! :noway:

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't personally contact a guy. But I think it's totally okay to because unlike in everyday life, you cant be sure if the guy saw you/your profile. I think it's fine too but I wouldn't.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Men do.

Look at the inbox of any attractive, 20 something woman. It is flooded.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it's completely fine for a woman to send a quick message or hit the 'flirt' button (depending on which site you're using) just to let a guy know you might be interested. Some guys are clueless, so giving them a hint seems to work just fine. If you end up having a conversation I would let him do the asking as far as a date simply to make sure he really is interested though.

Men do.

DM, I appreciate your opinions, but sometimes you forget that this is a group with members of many demographics. I know the "attractive 20 something woman" is your target, but would you consider opening your advice to all who participate here whenever possible? :flowerforyou:
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Men do.

I am not sure if that is entirely true. On the site I am on almost every guy indicates that he wants to be contacted. I sometimes see the same person visit my profile 5 or 6 times and they never send a message. On the other hand, I am 39 and receive a good amount of messages every day so, maybe there is hope for more than jsut the attractive 20 something woman.

Just saying.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Personally, I think it's completely fine for a woman to send a quick message or hit the 'flirt' button (depending on which site you're using) just to let a guy know you might be interested. Some guys are clueless, so giving them a hint seems to work just fine. If you end up having a conversation I would let him do the asking as far as a date simply to make sure he really is interested though.

Men do.

DM, I appreciate your opinions, but sometimes you forget that this is a group with members of many demographics. I know the "attractive 20 something woman" is your target, but would you consider opening your advice to all who participate here whenever possible? :flowerforyou:

I do think in general men initiate more than women, online and in real life.

It is fine for a woman to initiate with a man online. There have been cases where I have seen a woman initiate with me, and I appreciated it. I do like what PJ is saying about letting the man ask the woman out when she initiates.

If I see someone I like online, I send a message. From the guy's perspective, it is usually about casting as wide of a net as possible online, because there's going to be a lot of non responses. A woman initiating is probably going to have a better response rate, but she might still have to think of this, and then realize that a non response is possible. It likely is a rejection, but being rejected online is better than in real life.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Forget about rules and abstract but meaningless desires to be pursued.
    Give yourself the best chance you can.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, OF COURSE you should make the first move!!!! Internet dating is not about sitting around and looking pretty, its about seeking out someone you feel YOU are attracted to ......

A story: I met THE love of my life off a web site. (He doesnt feel the same, but hey ho! :cry: ). I contacted him first because everything he said in his profile clicked with me, plus I found his pic attractive. He replied, we talked, we met (love at first sight for me) and went on to have THE most mind blowing relationship for 5 months before he moved to Australia.

my advice.............. take the initiative (grab life by the balls!!!! :bigsmile: ). Women are totally allowed to do that in the 21st century! Hooorah!!! :flowerforyou:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, I am 39 and receive a good amount of messages every day so, maybe there is hope for more than jsut the attractive 20 something woman.

Just saying.

I'd like to add to this that I'm mid 30s and many of the guys who write to me online are in their 20s. If and when we have a conversation they all say the same thing, which is that women their age have too much drama, are selfish and completely stuck up. I'm not judging here, just noting that there is a common theme in what they've told me...
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I started out INTENTIONALLY contacting men when I started Match and POF, specifically after having so many guys on here complain that women never reach out to them and they do all the work and just wait. I never got a single response after 100 attempts, literally. I decided to step away from it for a few weeks because it really was affecting how I felt. I needed to toughen up a bit.

I just got back on a week ago and decided I wasn't ready to message anyone, but I would use the flirt feature on POF. I gave up on Match... wasn't worth my time or money. Just a lot of scammers and never any responses.

I've actually gotten a few responses from men, but truthfully, I feel like I had to lower my standard to do that. I don't think I was messaging men out of my league before yet clearly they didn't agree. Now I feel like I'm choosing men a little lower on the scale, so to speak, so it's not surprising to get responses now. Now I'm slightly feeling like I'm "settling" so I'm not sure it was the right approach either.

So I share all that because it's your choice on how to proceed. I say message them if your confidence is strong. I'd say be prepared to get very few responses unless you're hot. But all it takes is one, right?!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    For me lately most guys aren't messaging on POF but I am getting about 5 "wants to meets a day". I am not new on it and I am in my mid 30s so I am not expecting a ton of messages but it seems that guys have changed from sending out mass "Hi" messages to just clicking on the wants to meet button. So if I get one of them and I think I might connect with them I will message them. My issue is that I really not finding any one worth messaging on it. I don't know if half the guys are lying about their age or what but most look at lot older then what they say.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I just started recently as well. To me, it doesn't matter who initiates what. I guess it comes down to one question: are you willing to lose a potential opportunity with someone you're interested in? If yes, wait for him to contact you. If no, do something.

As it was pointed out, you can't be sure the other person will even see your profile (especially if the pool is larger in your area).
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    So I've started the whole online dating thing...oy vay! I'm wondering though, are men expecting women to make the first move? I don't mind putting myself out there but it would be nice to be the one being chased. Am I expecting too much wanting a man to contact me first? I've gotten several profile views, but no one makes the first move...unless it's me! Maybe we're all so afraid of rejection we don't want to put ourselves out there...which means we'll be single forever and the world population will dwindle because no one is procreating...OMG the world IS going to end!!!!!!! :noway:
    I've been on a couple sites at different times and probably have a similar experience as mentioned above. I'm going to write about my experience kind of lengthy detail so you can see what I've been frustrated with, like you, and what has worked for me.

At 38, I was on eHarmony. I had a lot of men view my profile but very few contacts. Of the ones that did initiate communication, many would poof along the way. I ended up going on one first date with a six month subscription. I didn't worry about having large quantities of contacts because I had written my profile to be very specific rather than a more general one that could be a better match for more people. At the time, I wasn't interested in casting a wide net. I sent first questions only to a handful of men, one of whom was the only date I went on, but I approached it for the most part thinking it was important for men to make the first move. Before my subscription was up, I met someone on the advice forum for the site (where we all complained about the lack contact! LOL!) whom I dated long distance for a year.

Fast forward to New Years Eve this year, and I guess I was bored and joined up again. What a waste of money. Again, lots of views, few contacts, and a single, extremely uncomfortable date in my six month subscription. I wouldn't do eHarmony again if they gave me a subscription for free. I get the feeling that people there are looking for the absolutely perfect match because that's what the marketing has promised.

I joined OKCupid and had a much different experience. I had some men contact me and I replied to every single one of them, even if it was giving them back the one word hi the sent me. I also liked the site's searching system and sent a message to a couple people - one never responded, but I think he left the site and the other asked me out and we dated for a few months.

Last Thursday, I decided to relaunch my OKCupid profile and also one on POF I never gave any serious effort in (back when I was first on eH). With POF, I've had several people add me as a favorite or click on the would like to meet me button, but not send me a personal message. I think with this site, men are initiating communication in this very passive way. They are casting as wide a net as possible, as Dave said. Is just clicking on a button making the first move? I'm not so sure that it's enough of an effort in to initiate with me - it's on par with the messages I get that are just "hi". Meh. I did find someone whom I'd really like to meet to see if we can be friends if not date when I did a search and I sent him a message - got a reply and a phone number yesterday. I also sent a message to someone, not really a good match for me, but he was complaining on his profile that women never initiate contact with him. He never replied to me. :tongue:

From OKCupid, I got two contacts initiated, one who is kind of bonkers and I ended up blocking after a couple exchanges, and a second, who is someone I never would have sent a message myself looking at his profile, but who seems nice and has now sent me his phone number too Friday night.

So, to summarize my experience - I have seen a lot of window shoppers. On sites where there is a feature to show that you would communicate with someone that requires minimum effort (such as the would like to meet button to click), men will go that route more than sending a personal message because they are fed up with sending messages to 100s of women who don't respond. Sending a very personalized message to men that talks about things in their profile that are a good match or that shows a sense of humor (if the profile is very humorous) will likely get a response, but not always, but those ones to me are worth the time invested and risk of rejection. By the way - I'm 42 and still looking for someone who is interested in having kids, which narrows my dating pool in the extreme when using the search engines. Most men in my dating pool are looking for younger women or have had their kids already and don't want any more, or never did want children.

What I think is you should definitely search around and find men who are very good matches for what you are seeking and send them a message. Not getting a response doesn't hurt all that bad. Hopefully, you will also get contacted by others who might be good matches, but it's not apparent from the profile, especially as many people don't fill those out adequately to get a sense of who they are, IMO. Online dating can be what you make of it and if you just sit back and wait for matches to come to you, you will get less out of it. Just consider that someone who might be exactly who you're looking for might have been on the site for months already and really frustrated at the lack of response to his messages. It pays to be proactive sometimes!

If you end up making the first move, that's okay, the men can still have the opportunity to be the one to ask you out on a date! :wink:
  • Mellie289
    Options
    For me lately most guys aren't messaging on POF but I am getting about 5 "wants to meets a day". I am not new on it and I am in my mid 30s so I am not expecting a ton of messages but it seems that guys have changed from sending out mass "Hi" messages to just clicking on the wants to meet button. So if I get one of them and I think I might connect with them I will message them. My issue is that I really not finding any one worth messaging on it. I don't know if half the guys are lying about their age or what but most look at lot older then what they say.
    I see you posted exactly what I'm talking about while I was typing! I just haven't had the age issue, but definitely they're not what I'm looking for.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    I'd like to add to this that I'm mid 30s and many of the guys who write to me online are in their 20s. If and when we have a conversation they all say the same thing, which is that women their age have too much drama, are selfish and completely stuck up. I'm not judging here, just noting that there is a common theme in what they've told me...

There's a lot of truth to that. In the US, Gen Y (approximately birth years 1980-1994) is probably the most narcissistic cohort to ever walk the face of the Earth. There's a lot of drama and self centeredness in this age cohort.
  • amitybs
    amitybs Posts: 35
    Options
    Well seeing how I'm not generally the wall flower type I will grow a pair and make the first move!! I like the idea of letting him make the first move when it comes to an actual date. Being 37 and about to have an empty nest makes me think it's time to get off my butt and see what's out there. I do agree, the younger generation seems to have WAY too much drama!!! Of course, there are many in my age group that have their own set of issues as well. I live in a fairly small area so it's not easy to find what I'm looking for, we have a lot of closed minded redneck types around here. Is it so much to ask that a guy likes sushi?!?!?!
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I generally like it when women make the first move. It's nice to know that some one saw your profile interesting before you approached them. It's very rare but I've actually ended up dating a girl a few years ago who made the first move to write first. It works sometimes.

J
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've always heard guys *SAY* they like it when women make the first move, but I've *NEVER* had that work out for me, and neither have any of my friends.

The guys will write us back for a bit but it always falls through. Not sure if this is true, but I've been told it's because the guys are looking for someone whose affection they have to earn, a challenge, and that (though there are exceptions) the competitive male nature does not generally value that which is freely available.
  • Mellie289
    Options
    The guys will write us back for a bit but it always falls through. Not sure if this is true, but I've been told it's because the guys are looking for someone whose affection they have to earn, a challenge, and that (though there are exceptions) the competitive male nature does not generally value that which is freely available.
    I've heard this before as well. I wonder if there is a writing style that might engage men better after the contact is initiated - maybe being a little more aloof and not looking overly keen so the men know they've got to do some chasing still. Or maybe not responding to messages right away. There must be some way to apply psychology here (not game playing).
  • DMZ_1
    Options

I can't speak for all men, but I can speak to one situation for me. A woman asked me out once online, and I accepted. So that did not fall through. Unfortunately, she was a dud in person.

If women make things easier for me, if they initiate contact, if they are reliable and keep their word, these are the kinds of things I like. I value a woman who makes interactions easy because I know the alternative.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I just started recently as well. To me, it doesn't matter who initiates what. I guess it comes down to one question: are you willing to lose a potential opportunity with someone you're interested in? If yes, wait for him to contact you. If no, do something.

As it was pointed out, you can't be sure the other person will even see your profile (especially if the pool is larger in your area).

Amen.

Don't wait around too long... If he doesn't make first contact, then there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with you doing so.

Like Anna said, "Women are totally allowed to do that in the 21st century!"