Baby names

Options
jls8209
jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
Who has their baby names picked out?

I'll be 31 weeks on Monday, and DH and I are still absolutely stuck for girl names. We each have a favourite, and we are both set on our choice. We have one name we both kind-of like, but it's a long one, and I don't think a long first name with our crazy long, hard to spell Polish last name is very fair for a young kid. Plus, even though we both like it, neither of us loves it. We keep coming up with names and adding them to our list, but they always end up being crossed off. DH thinks my girl name is a phase I'm going through (even though I've loved it for many, many years) which is why he won't agree to my choice. I'll admit, I do like the girl name he's picked, but it is super common (think top 10 every year for the past several years) and I don't want my kid to go to school and be one of 5 "Xyz" in their class. I grew up with a name that is not unheard of, but not common, either, and I like it like that.

We have two boy names chosen, I prefer one over the other but would be happy with either.

I'm starting to get anxious about the girl name, especially since there's only about 9 weeks to go. I'm not one of these "wait and see what the baby looks like" types, and I don't want the baby to go un-named for the first few days of its life. I'm a planner, I need to go in to the hospital knowing what the name will be!

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    We do. We had a girl name picked out for sure, but it is a boy! We are naming him Miles Glen...Glen is after my husband's grandpa :)

It is difficult when you both can't agree! I say you're carrying the child for 9 months...you win..maybe he can choose the middle name??
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I definitely have a girl name picked out and my husband hasn't vetoed it, nor offered a different one which makes me thinks we're good with it lol. For a boy's name.... yeah, many to chose from, but none sound good to me. Not sure what we're having yet; won't know for a few more weeks, but I'm hoping for a girl so I don't have to pick one!
  • lilchino4af
    Options
    Interesting that it wouldn't let me edit my post above. Well, girl's name is the same, but finally have 2 boys names I like (just came across them today) and hoping my hubby likes at least one of them or it's back to the drawing board! :laugh:
    Girl: Micayla Renee
    Boy: Aiden Mitchell or Caden Reese
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Luckily since we found out we were expecting I created a list of names for either sex that I liked and put them in the order of my favs and my hubs helped me narrow them down by which ones he did or didn't like, he just happened to like both my number 1 and 2 for both sex! We're having a boy and Jaxon has been my favorite all along and I think we're both happy with it. The middle name s actually after my hubs grandpa that passed away and it was my idea to give our baby the name whether it was a boy or girl (bc Ray or Rae goes for either) and of course he wouldn't argue with that lol
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Like you, I also am a planner and have to have everything ready and all, I can imagine it's frustrating for you. Good luck I hope y'all decide soon for your sanity!!
  • keyalus
    keyalus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm still early so I have a lot of time to make a choice. My husband and I agreed (before marriage) that he could name our first born son. I don't plan on getting divorced and remarried, but I will say that is a bad deal to make with a stubborn man! My son's name is just...not good. I've gotten used to it, but I hate it and hope and pray that he doesn't get made fun of the rest of his life. I suspect he will go by his middle name as an adult.

Anyway, I get to pick the name I want for baby number 2, he gets to choose the middle. I hate his girl middle name choice but an agreement is an agreement. His middle name doesn't match my top first name choices but I'm not sweating it.

In one way, the good thing about our awful agreement is that if I want to name the baby "TyranosarousRexie" he can't stop me LOL!
  • jls8209
    Options
    Chickybuns - I tried the whole, "I'm carrying the baby for 9 mos and sacrificing my body" thing, but it hasn't worked. Also tried telling him he could choose the middle name, but that hasn't worked, either.

Keyalus - DH offered to let me choose the girl name if he could choose the boy name, but I just can't do it! Even though we have two boy names picked, I know he'll pick something different that I won't like. DH is Polish and every now and then will throw out a crazy Polish name that is hard to pronounce, hard to spell, and doesn't translate into English. Our poor kid is going to be pronouncing/spelling its last name for people for the rest of its life, I don't want it to have a challenging first name, too!

We have to make up our minds in the next 9 weeks, I'm determined that the baby will have a name when it's born!
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    jls- you crack me up! I'm in the same boat. DH is cool with one of us picking the first name and the other picking the middle name. I can't let that happen! I need to know the whole name flows and sounds good. We're slowly but surely widdling our list down. You'll find names that work- eventually :)

keyalus- You are ballsy! I don't think I could let DH pick the name by himself. At least you get baby number 2!

MrsC- I love Jax- that was on my list for boy names. Maybe round two ; )

I'm working with Caitlin, Drew, Reese, Jill... and I'm still open to anything new we come up with. I like Caitlin Drew for right now (and for the past couple of weeks). :)
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    We tried each writing down our top 8. We had some crossover, but now we need to figure out first vs middle. Gah.
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    So how about my firstborn son, 3yr old, has picked out the name for his baby brother! I already have 2 boys. Both have family names after their grandpas. We had a girls name picked out but could not decide on a boy's name as there were not many other family names that were "workable" choices left. DH and I just couldn't come up with anything that hit home. So once we found out that we were having a boy, I asked my 3 yr old, just kinda jokingly, what he thought we should name the baby and he said "I'm going to call him Benny." I thought, hmmm, Benjamin. DH and I liked it. So we are naming him Benjamin Jude. (And actually Jude was a suggestion from a friend bc we were having a hard time coming up with a middle name we liked.) So, this is prob my last child but if I do have a 4th we really need to have a girl bc we are officially out of boy names.
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    oh yea I forgot to include the detail that our dog's name is Benny :)
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Interesting that it wouldn't let me edit my post above. Well, girl's name is the same, but finally have 2 boys names I like (just came across them today) and hoping my hubby likes at least one of them or it's back to the drawing board! :laugh:
    Girl: Micayla Renee
    Boy: Aiden Mitchell or Caden Reese

ooh I vote for Caden Reese, that is adorable! and will gow up well also :)
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Hubs and I pretty much agreed on names as soon as we got married :laugh:

for a girl she will be named after his late mother: Zulma (he's rican) and middle name Eileen (my mom's middle name)

for a boy: D'artagnan Danger.....I know we are asking for trouble with a name like that but with the mix of our crazy troublmaking we are asking for trouble by simply having children :)
  • jls8209
    Options
    oh yea I forgot to include the detail that our dog's name is Benny :)

I have a friend of a friend who did the same thing. They had a dog named Kaylee, then decided to name their daughter Kaylee, as well. The dog then became "Baby", just to make it more confusing. At least in your case you can call your son "Benjamin", so it's not exactly like the dog's name. Anyway, like you we asked our 5 year old nephew what we should name the baby, and of course he said "Liam", which is his own name! Oh, kids!

We really like the name Simon for a boy, but unfortunately my 13 year old cat's name is Simon. Back when I named him (in high school) I thought it was a nerdy name I'd never use for a child, but now I love it! Oh well, it's off the list and I guess I'll have to be more careful next time I have to name a pet!

BeckyJill - I love the name Caitlyn, but I already have a cousin with that name. I'm trying not to re-use any names that are already in the family, and unfortunately my family is big! DH's family is big into re-using, but they're a bit off the wall with it.

cmaxmor - The boy's middle name is the only one that is 100% for sure at the moment. It is the name of my best friend who passed away about 6 years ago.
  • mommyJto3
    mommyJto3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 weeks and we finally agreed and picked our names for this baby (dont know the sex). If it is a girl, it will be Reese Evelyn. If it is a boy, it will either be Julian Jackson or Bryce Jackson - all depends on what we think he looks like :)
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Those are very cute names Marshallj! I think it's awesome that you don't know the sex. I'd kinda like to not know the sex but hubs wants to be able to plan so we're going to find out
  • lilchino4af
    Options
    jls8209 - My hubby's the same way about not reusing names and also has a very large family (8 aunts/uncles, 26 cousins, plus cousins' kids, and that's just one side of the family!) So when we got married almost 8 years ago, I started making a list of names I came across and liked that weren't used so that I wouldn't have to start from nothing when we finally got pregnant.

EmilyRanae22 - We're the same way; we'd both like to not know, but we'd both like to plan so I think we're about decided that we'll compromise: we'll know but we won't tell anyone else! Our thought is that by not telling folks the baby's gender, they'll be more likely to get us gender neutral stuff that we can reuse for our next child (we'd like at least 2). A friend of mine said for their first they told everyone they were having a boy but asked for gender neutral stuff; didn't work. They got all boy stuff and now they're expecting a girl :ohwell: